Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:28 AM

56 posts, read 119,757 times

Advertisements

Ever since I visited Maine in 2000, i've been in love with it. The beauty of it alone, makes me want to do anything I can to live there for the rest of my life. Everyone I know who has been there, ended up moving there permanantly. Every one of them felt the same way I did, and once they moved there they were content.

I'm originally from Rhode Island. When I got married, I ended bouncing between Australia and RI. Long story short, my wife and I are splitting up unfortunately. So i'm now considering moving to Maine permanantly - instead of putting off for later. Just for reference, im currently living in Australia, and i'm in my mid 20's.

My greatest dream is to live there, and have a simple life. I want to make enough money to live comfortably, and have time to enjoy the the outdoors and the people around me. I know how to stretch a dollar, and I live within my means, so i'm not too worried. Although, I want to make sure I can find work before I move there.

Thus far my primary line of work has been in healthcare, and residental landscaping on the side. I've worked with developmentally disabled people of all ages; although i'd like to get my CNA license to work in a hospital or nursing home. Would anyone be able to tell me if this is a good/stable job for Maine, and if I could easily get my CNA license there?

Another important question i'd like to ask, is about the community in Maine. I love to be alone at times, and I keep to myself - but being apart of a friendly community of people who look out for each other is important to me.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me with my questions, and give me some honest information. Cheers!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:03 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Sorry to hear of the breakup. That's never easy on anyone. With a CNA background I would think you would do OK looking for work. Especially if you are not locked in to one particular place. Retirement communities are getting more and more popular in the state from what I see on TV ads. But still, you better have your ducks in a row and be prepared to live off savings a while.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Welcome to the boards! Do you have a particular area or town that's top of your list?

Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 AM

Thanks for welcoming replies!

Well I'd have a decent savings to live off of if need be. I'm pretty open about what part of Maine i'd move to, but i'd prefer to be close to the outdoors. I'm not really a city lover, but I don't mind living in a town (preferably with a rural feel). The first place I move to doesn't have to be the permant place I stay. I mainly want to get established, clear my head, and get back to the 'basics'.

I'm wondering if I should go back to Rhode Island and get my CNA license, or do it in Maine? I think Maine might have different requirments, so it might be better to just get it there? I think i'll stop in RI first and buy a car, but I don't know how smart it would be to drive up to Maine this winter? Perhaps waiting for the spring might be more sensible, seeing how harsh it's been so far (I wouldn't know, I been sweating my behind off in AU). I'm going to need some time to line up a place to stay as well. Although a part of me (likely the impulsive part) wants to just 'do it' and not put it off.

Last edited by Steel*Faith; 12-26-2009 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 07:50 AM

444 posts, read 928,690 times
Here is a link that gives a lot of information about CNA requirements for the State of Maine:

Maine Education - Career and Technical Education Resources

Scroll down on the page, and you will see an Adobe file that lists CNA courses in Maine with contact information. Best wishes!

Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
Do you have family in Rhode Island? If you do, then that is probably where you should go to begin with. Move back to where you have some connections, flesh out your education and work qualifications, and while you are there, explore the state of Maine on weekends. You can easily get to Maine in a few hours from anywhere in Rhode Island, and once you are ready, you will know exactly what you will find once you land here.

Maine is not an easy place to move to and THEN get yourself operating and organized. You have said that you are in your twenties, and I think you may want to spend more time in familiar places before you come to a state that has an aging population BECAUSE so many yonger people go elsewhere to find income and life experience in general.

Don't rush it: Maine will wait.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:39 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Welcome to CD!

Move to Maine and rent; once you are based in Maine, it will be easier to job search, and to find a permanent home.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:13 AM

Hi again everyone! Most of my family is from RI. Before I ever went to Maine, i'd definitely get my work qualifications sorted out first. Thing is how would it work lineing up a job in Maine? Should I research the best areas for CNA work, move there, then apply for jobs? Or do it out of state, line up a job, then move? I'd imagine the former would be more likely? I'm also considering going to school for Nursing if this would greatly improve my chances of living comfortably in Maine.

I was going to school to be an RN before, but due to marital issues, I stopped my classes. Would it be a good idea to get a steady CNA job in Maine, get some help from the company i'm working for, then go to school PT or FT to be an RN? Many hospitals, nursing homes, and healthcare agencies in RI help with tuition costs for Nursing while you're working for them; I wasn't sure if it was similar in Maine?

I wanted to know more about the community in Maine. Is it easy to find other people to go hunting, fishing, off-roading with ATV's ect, boating, camping ect? All the times i've done this in Maine, have been with friends of mine from RI. I was hoping Maine natives are friendly enough to bond with others in their community, and do activities (as I mentioned) together. I'm sure they are, but I don't like to assume without knowing first hand; especially considering that many of the people my age are moving out of Maine.

Someone who messaged me, mentioned Rockland as a potential good area for me. Due to the younger community, job opportunities, and the proximity to places for outdoor hobbies. Also, being from RI -- I naturally love the New England coastline, and Rockland seems like a nice fit.

Other than living in Maine; my dream 'ultimate' dream is to have a small to medium sized house or cottage, land for gardening & raising animals, and access to a pond or lake. I want to have one or two horses, and be able to ride them on my property. To have this in Maine, what does your yearly income have to look like realistically? Do many people live like this?

What i've always wanted was that 'small town' feel. Where the community is simple, but warm and generous to one another; but also has respect for their neighbors. I am sincerely hoping I can find this in Maine one day.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
You may want to check with some of the hospitals in Maine about your questions. Eastern Maine Medical center for one.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Hello and Welcome.

State of Maine job website portal:

Maine.gov: Employment

Maine Hospital Association:

Maine Hospital Association

List of hospitals from above link:
http://www.themha.org/members/hospitals.htm (broken link)

There are a lot of group homes which offer jobs caring for people who are unable to live on their own for one reason or another. Your CNA would be a bonus. Here are a couple:

Community Health and Counseling Services
Community Health and Counseling Services Home Page

OHI

OHI | About OHI

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine