Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM

135 posts, read 144,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
Lmao, Maryland is a good state to live in... there are just certain parts to stay away from (PG County, Baltimore, Hagerstown, etc).

But I guess because I'm a New Yorker born and raised, this reply won't mean much.

Yes that's right... why in the world would someone want to visit PG County???

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9195...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9163...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wo....7791851?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta....0183589?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Love My Maryland...

Old 09-07-2016, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Default Prince George's County - a wonderful place to live.

I love Prince George's County! I love Anne Arundel County, too! You just need to know how to carry yourself in both areas.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:53 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I don't see MD as a state to love OR hate. For me, before moving here for a job, it wasn't a state that had any image or draw at all. You'd ask me, quick first thing you think of about MD -- and I'd have said "uh, nothing really."

I don't HATE MD, I live here because my job is in the area. And I have to live somewhere.
Most of my family is to the north, So living in VA made no sense when I travel north as much as I do. So that only left MD.

I don't like some of its laws and politics. I just pray most of the things I disagree with don't affect me.
But I live in the best area I can. And that's fine. I will be relocating upon retirement. But IF I weren't doing that I could see staying in MD. I THINK I'd like Colorado or FLA, but as I'm SINK and have no family either place, for me personally, I just don't see moving to a place where I know no one and have no connection. When I can travel there all I want once retired.

So I guess I'm in MD by default. It certainly has nothing that would make me choose it otherwise.
It's not the most tax friendly. It doesn't have the best weather. It's colleges are OK but not all THE best. The Annapolis area and Eastern Shore are good retirement places. But I've already got that set for back in my home state.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:54 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Good grief, why is this thread still going?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Wow interesting comments especially from "transplant" As a transplant. I moved here from SC for work in DC. I settled Manassas VA. Manassas remind me too much of SC but with more traffic and higher COL. Moved MD and setted in BMore because I wanted the urban lifestyle of DC but without the cost. After living here for 10 yrs I'm at meh I don't love it nor hate it. I can find just as many pros as cons. Add in the bmo issues and the cons win slightly but that has occurred more so post Freddie Gray and all the related "politics" associated with the mayor and port Covington et al. If we take the politics out and related social issues. I can see more pros than cons here in Baltimore. The city has a lot to offer for a big city and is fairly easy to navigate especially when compared to other parts of the DC metro Additionallt travel to other places via BWI or Penn is really convenient and hassle free. If I left the city and couldn't move in DC I may choose hyattsville or a development near Laurel but that would be mainly for commuting purposes though hyattsville proper seems to be up and coming

Last edited by Woodlands; 09-13-2016 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 09:26 PM

178 posts, read 162,185 times
Maryland is a state of low class people acting like they're relevant, got coin, and have sophistication. When in fact, it is a dog-eat-dog state in which one person can only survive by exploiting others. A sort of gilded bourgeois snobbery who blow through tons of tax dollars and still leaves behind a piece of aged garbage to live in. And I'm not just targeting people with low incomes. Even high-income people just as deep in this despicable behavior.

Don't get me started with the cops. They're lazy and corrupt and care more about the aesthetics of the houses the guard than actual "law enforcement". My, it must feel to be a tax collector who cannot be held accountable and ordering people away because your car is aesthetically unpleasing.

PG gets an unfair rap with regards to danger. In fact, the main problem with it is that it just looks aged and is a sprawled out travelling nightmare due to terrain issues such as the Anacostia and the railroad tracks. Oh, and they charge a king's ransom to live in there and it still is a mess.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post
Maryland is a state of low class people acting like they're relevant, got coin, and have sophistication. When in fact, it is a dog-eat-dog state in which one person can only survive by exploiting others.

Bull****.

I'm also a transplant, moving here back in '99 from Seattle. I found an instant circle of friends, and a city that was the most chatty, biggest small town I'd ever been in. With all the reports of the east coast being snobby and hostile, I was pleasantly surprised that people would talk to you in elevators like they had known you for years. I've walked back from Camden Yards to the metro station past Lexington Market and even had the guys hanging out in doorways ask how the O's game went.

There's a lot of beautiful countryside in MD, from the far west and it's mountainous areas, to the eastern shore and all the inlets and waterways. I stayed at the Bed and Breakfast on Black Walnut Point on Tilghman Island and driven the fun backroads to the Catoctin Mountains. I lived in Canton on the waterfront for the first couple years and loved it there as well as the nightlife in O'Donnell Square. MD is a nice, central location to explore and travel to all parts of the east caost, as well, and I've traveled from Maine to Florida and out to Ohio from here.

Yes, I have a good job that pays well, and live in a peaceful, older suburb with outstanding neighbors that help each other and look out for each other (and yet no HOA needed), in a very walkable neighborhood where I don't even lock my car doors (and haven't since I moved to this house in '01). My wife started her own business doing freelance medical practice management and billing, helping small doctor's offices stay in business without selling out to hospitals. She hasn't exploited anyone to grow her business.

Are there bad areas? Yes, just like anywhere. Are there ******* people? Yes, just like anywhere. But for the most part, I've enjoyed my stay here.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:37 AM

833 posts, read 520,866 times
Aside from the foothills Mt. Airy and westward, and the quaintness of Annapolis, Maryland absolutely sucks in many ways. You don't fully realize it until you visit other states and see what you're missing. From politics to land use, just a really pathetic and boring state in many ways.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 AM

833 posts, read 520,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't see MD as a state to love OR hate. For me, before moving here for a job, it wasn't a state that had any image or draw at all. You'd ask me, quick first thing you think of about MD -- and I'd have said "uh, nothing really."

I don't HATE MD, I live here because my job is in the area. And I have to live somewhere.
Most of my family is to the north, So living in VA made no sense when I travel north as much as I do. So that only left MD.

I don't like some of its laws and politics. I just pray most of the things I disagree with don't affect me.
But I live in the best area I can. And that's fine. I will be relocating upon retirement. But IF I weren't doing that I could see staying in MD. I THINK I'd like Colorado or FLA, but as I'm SINK and have no family either place, for me personally, I just don't see moving to a place where I know no one and have no connection. When I can travel there all I want once retired.

So I guess I'm in MD by default. It certainly has nothing that would make me choose it otherwise.
It's not the most tax friendly. It doesn't have the best weather. It's colleges are OK but not all THE best. The Annapolis area and Eastern Shore are good retirement places. But I've already got that set for back in my home state.
I agree with this completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland