Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
And that's cool. Much respect to Mexican-Americans who manage to stay out of poverty, work hard, educate themselves, and join the ranks in the world's most powerful and important country. (No, that was not tounge in cheek, that was sincere).

A complaint we have as Mexicans, however, is that while, for example, Chinese-Americans embrace Chinese culture and Jewish Americans fully support Israel (different circumstance, I get it), and even Cuban-Americans fully support situations back home, that type of kinship is completely non-existent in Mexican-Americans. Not necessary, but it would be nice. You, my friend, are probably but a small minority that are like this.
Mexican Americans are much closer to Mexico and Mexicans than you think. Most Mexican Americans live in the southwest, very close to Mexico. A lot of us can speak Spanish, many others at least understand it. Alot of German Americans don't speak German, alot of Italian Americans don't speak Italian and many of them came here less than 150 years ago. Many Mexican Americans have been living here more than 150 years ago. Actually Mexican Americans are one of the top groups that still retain a lot of their Mexican culture and heritage. We all have family in Mexico that we know of. We visited Mexico before. You can't say that for say, the Puerto Ricans living in New York which are 1600+ miles apart from Puerto Rico.

All groups have certain people that feel more "American" than the place where their family descend from, maybe its by choice or maybe its because their parents have been living here for generations now and feel American.

Your country also has people that tries to act more American, all countries have that certain type people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times
The mexican-american community can simply walk on over to the motherland if they wanted to, no other immigrant group can claim that.

In highschool I remember many mexican Americans having those sentiments towards mexico expressed by joelaldo.

Now at the university things are much different. In the Spanish department the vast majority of Spanish majors are of mexican ancestry and we always have great things to say about Mexico. Just the other day my colleagues and I talked about our recent travels to that country when in fact we should have been studying. Also many of my classmates are dual citizens, it kind of makes me want to apply for it too, so I can do my masters there.

Anyways I feel lucky my parents raised me right ! Haha

Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
A complaint we have as Mexicans, however, is that while, for example, Chinese-Americans embrace Chinese culture and Jewish Americans fully support Israel (different circumstance, I get it), and even Cuban-Americans fully support situations back home, that type of kinship is completely non-existent in Mexican-Americans. Not necessary, but it would be nice. You, my friend, are probably but a small minority that are like this.
If you could only see the number of Mexican flags in California.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
he neighboring cities on the border to the south, they are not even ashamed to call someone a mojado or mojo. Here in Southern California specifically in Los Angeles and San Diego where I have lived for 10 years on both sides of LA FRONTERA, it seems there is more solidarity between people south of the border and those that are north of the border.
Most definitely!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
[quote=Avex;31745348]The mexican-american community can simply walk on over to the motherland if they wanted to, no other immigrant group can claim that.
/QUOTE]

What about Canadian-Americans? hahahah.

Its easier for us to preserve our culture when there are so many of us in the US and we have plenty of TV and Radio Stations.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

Its easier for us to preserve our culture when there are so many of us in the US and we have plenty of TV and Radio Stations.
That is what I am saying, it is impossible to believe that every Mexican American is going to speak Spanish when they live in the most influential country in the world. Mexicans Americans have retain a lot of their culture, even when they been here for generations. Cuban Americans have not been here longer than Mexican Americans and since a lot of them live in southern florida of course they will retain a lot of their culture. But many of them don't like the current government of Cuba and many of them are Republican, which puts them at odds when compared to almost ever single minority group. Just look at Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio...they think just by being Hispanic they are going to get the Mexican vote...nope

Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzie View Post
Mexicans in Mexico do not consider mexican-americans as mexican anymore because to Mexicans, to be a mexican you need to either be born there or at least be raised in the country. Mexican-Americans are too amerinizied even if they do not see it, even if they still celebrate mexican holidays and eat mexican food, their mannerism is still very American. Mexican people act very differently, they are kind people and do not care to reconquer the Southwest of the USA like many of these Mexica Movement members do.

An immigrant that was raised in Mexico is seen as more mexican than a Mexican-American with mexican parents or grandparents. That is how it works in Mexico and in all the countries in the world I believe.
Not realy, I don't know were in Mexico you've been through! I was born in Tucson,Az but my parents we're born in Mexico. I grew up in Mexico most of my life,and my friends and family they considered me Mexicans. When i go overthere i have no issues. Exept, sometimes for being transgenderd, but not as much anymore

Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Mexican Americans are much closer to Mexico and Mexicans than you think.
Generally, that's probably a correct statement. I know many first-generation, Americans born of Mexican parents who came to the USA ... who could care less about Mexico. Actually, most Mexican-Americans I know have little or no interest in visiting Mexico. Yes, they continue to speak Spanish and they continue to observe certain cultural practices and events ... but they know very little about the land of their parents. Not all, certainly. But a huge number of those I interact with.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Generally, that's probably a correct statement. I know many first-generation, Americans born of Mexican parents who came to the USA ... who could care less about Mexico. Actually, most Mexican-Americans I know have little or no interest in visiting Mexico. Yes, they continue to speak Spanish and they continue to observe certain cultural practices and events ... but they know very little about the land of their parents. Not all, certainly. But a huge number of those I interact with.
You even see alot of people like this in the SW and Texas.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzie View Post
Mexicans in Mexico do not consider mexican-americans as mexican anymore because to Mexicans, to be a mexican you need to either be born there or at least be raised in the country. Mexican-Americans are too amerinizied even if they do not see it, even if they still celebrate mexican holidays and eat mexican food, their mannerism is still very American. Mexican people act very differently, they are kind people and do not care to reconquer the Southwest of the USA like many of these Mexica Movement members do.

An immigrant that was raised in Mexico is seen as more mexican than a Mexican-American with mexican parents or grandparents. That is how it works in Mexico and in all the countries in the world I believe.
Mexicans might might not consider M-As mexican, but Mexico itself has taken on assimilance to the US. Mexican cinema, music, food, and culture in general has mirrored America's. Since the 1940's mexico popular culture has mirriored that of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico