Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Mexicans might might not consider M-As mexican, but Mexico itself has taken on assimilance to the US. Mexican cinema, music, food, and culture in general has mirrored America's. Since the 1940's mexico popular culture has mirriored that of the US.
That's not particular to just Mexico. Brazilians are in love with Rihanna. Brittney Spears is popular in Romania. The Backstreet boys have a loyal fanbase throughout China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
That's not particular to just Mexico. Brazilians are in love with Rihanna. Brittney Spears is popular in Romania. The Backstreet boys have a loyal fanbase throughout China.

but Mexico is just south of the US, their histories have largely intertwined throughout the last couple centuries, or even since before then.. The two countries have more similarities than most people think. I also talk to my friends from the major cities such as Mexico D.F., Monterrey Tijuana, Cuernavaca, Guadalajara and a few others, what they tell me sounds a lot like life in the US of A. But other than the globalization and the americanization theres been similarities.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,865 times
It's a mixed bag what people abroad think of their peoples and descendants of their homelands think of their disappear living in the USA. it varies.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 AM

10 posts, read 38,872 times
By the 3rd generation I think they will call themselves Americans and forget their background. I'm a first generation and I adapted into America society pretty quickly. I'm of Mexican and Italian ancestors. I can't speak Spanish at all but I can understand a little.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 AM

347 posts, read 491,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's no different, I believe, with any immigrant group, once they return home to visit, that intuitive sense that they've become a breed apart. Even when traveling to Tijuana, with my Mexican roommate who's been in the U.S. now for 30 years, the police, one night, targeted him on one of our walks. Intuition! They could sense it! This guy's got some money?

I've talked with the Philippino's I work with, and it's the same story when they return to their country! they're targets, with their hands out, the minute they start walking around their home towns! Intuition!

I now have two renting rooms from me, a true Mexican American born here, and a native to Mexico! They're a breed apart!

TRUE, this is what the line of CONVERSING I was trying to start in the LEGAL IMMIGRATION forum.

NEW immigrants are going to suffer the most COLLATERAL DAMAGE when TRYING to ASSIMILATE into their new surroundings.

FIRST AND SECOND generation AMERICANS of ANY ETHNIC group will have it slightly better, but still some COLLATERAL DAMAGE.

THIRD AND FOURTH GENERATION AMERCIANS, in my opinion, are more well adusted, I wonder what that would be like?

BECAUSE I am a First Generation American, BORN AND RAISED, that went to a four-year college, and graduated, and I do notice that A NATURALIZED AMERICAN in many ways is not the same as an AMERICAN BORN AND RAISED AMERICAN.

I know that my children's children will have it better than ME AND MY KIDS, by the fact that they will all be AMERICAN BORN AND RAISED.

ALSO there is alot more problems than just money of course, it's also social, cultural, and racial too...

And I am not Mexican.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,465 times
If you go to a mexican restaurant within the United States then they better know English I'm a Chicano an Iddon't speak Spanish cause I'm American born so learn English if your gonna run a mexican restaurant in the U.S.A stupid foreigners

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
THIRD AND FOURTH GENERATION AMERCIANS, in my opinion, are more well adusted, I wonder what that would be like?
That's not exactly true for Mexicans.

Check out the UCLA study on Mexican-Americans done by sociologists Edward Tellez and Vilma Ortiz.

https://www.russellsage.org/publicat...ns-exclusion-0

"In many domains, however, the Mexican American story doesn’t fit with traditional models of assimilation. The majority of fourth generation Mexican Americans continue to live in Hispanic neighborhoods, marry other Hispanics, and think of themselves as Mexican. And while Mexican Americans make financial strides from the first to the second generation, economic progress halts at the second generation, and poverty rates remain high for later generations. Similarly, educational attainment peaks among second generation children of immigrants, but declines for the third and fourth generations."

Old 11-08-2014, 11:23 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
Having lived in Mexico City with a Mexican wife was told by more then one person that any Mexican born/raised in the USA is NOT a Mexican.....Mexican/American maybe but NOT a Mexican in the word sense.

Different flavors for different folks I would assume.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
That's not exactly true for Mexicans.

Check out the UCLA study on Mexican-Americans done by sociologists Edward Tellez and Vilma Ortiz.

[URL]https://www.russellsage.org/publications/generations-exclusion-0[/URL]

"In many domains, however, the Mexican American story doesn’t fit with traditional models of assimilation. The majority of fourth generation Mexican Americans continue to live in Hispanic neighborhoods, marry other Hispanics, and think of themselves as Mexican. And while Mexican Americans make financial strides from the first to the second generation, economic progress halts at the second generation, and poverty rates remain high for later generations. Similarly, educational attainment peaks among second generation children of immigrants, but declines for the third and fourth generations."

You totally took the comment out of context, removing the socio-economic factors attributed to such outcomes. How convenient. The true comments were:

When boxes of original files from a 1965 survey of Mexican Americans were discovered behind a dusty bookshelf at UCLA, sociologists Edward Telles and Vilma Ortiz recognized a unique opportunity to examine how the Mexican American experience has evolved over the past four decades. Telles and Ortiz located and re-interviewed most of the original respondents and many of their children. Then, they combined the findings of both studies to construct a thirty-five year analysis of Mexican American integration into American society. Generations of Exclusion is the result of this extraordinary project.

Generations of Exclusion measures Mexican American integration across a wide number of dimensions: education, English and Spanish language use, socioeconomic status, intermarriage, residential segregation, ethnic identity, and political participation. The study contains some encouraging findings, but many more that are troubling. Linguistically, Mexican Americans assimilate into mainstream America quite well—by the second generation, nearly all Mexican Americans achieve English proficiency. In many domains, however, the Mexican American story doesn’t fit with traditional models of assimilation. The majority of fourth generation Mexican Americans continue to live in Hispanic neighborhoods, marry other Hispanics, and think of themselves as Mexican. And while Mexican Americans make financial strides from the first to the second generation, economic progress halts at the second generation, and poverty rates remain high for later generations. Similarly, educational attainment peaks among second generation children of immigrants, but declines for the third and fourth generations.

Telles and Ortiz identify institutional barriers as a major source of Mexican American disadvantage. Chronic under-funding in school systems predominately serving Mexican Americans severely restrains progress. Persistent discrimination, punitive immigration policies, and reliance on cheap Mexican labor in the southwestern states all make integration more difficult. The authors call for providing Mexican American children with the educational opportunities that European immigrants in previous generations enjoyed. The Mexican American trajectory is distinct—but so is the extent to which this group has been excluded from the American mainstream.

Most immigration literature today focuses either on the immediate impact of immigration or what is happening to the children of newcomers to this country. Generations of Exclusion shows what has happened to Mexican Americans over four decades. In opening this window onto the past and linking it to recent outcomes, Telles and Ortiz provide a troubling glimpse of what other new immigrant groups may experience in the future.

EDWARD E. TELLES is professor of sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles.

VILMA ORTIZ is associate professor of sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Last edited by rosa surf; 11-08-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You totally took the comment out of context, removing the socio-economic factors attributed to such outcomes. How convenient. The true comments were:

When boxes of original files from a 1965 survey of Mexican Americans were discovered behind a dusty bookshelf at UCLA, sociologists Edward Telles and Vilma Ortiz recognized a unique opportunity to examine how the Mexican American experience has evolved over the past four decades. Telles and Ortiz located and re-interviewed most of the original respondents and many of their children. Then, they combined the findings of both studies to construct a thirty-five year analysis of Mexican American integration into American society. Generations of Exclusion is the result of this extraordinary project.

Generations of Exclusion measures Mexican American integration across a wide number of dimensions: education, English and Spanish language use, socioeconomic status, intermarriage, residential segregation, ethnic identity, and political participation. The study contains some encouraging findings, but many more that are troubling. Linguistically, Mexican Americans assimilate into mainstream America quite well—by the second generation, nearly all Mexican Americans achieve English proficiency. In many domains, however, the Mexican American story doesn’t fit with traditional models of assimilation. The majority of fourth generation Mexican Americans continue to live in Hispanic neighborhoods, marry other Hispanics, and think of themselves as Mexican. And while Mexican Americans make financial strides from the first to the second generation, economic progress halts at the second generation, and poverty rates remain high for later generations. Similarly, educational attainment peaks among second generation children of immigrants, but declines for the third and fourth generations.

Telles and Ortiz identify institutional barriers as a major source of Mexican American disadvantage. Chronic under-funding in school systems predominately serving Mexican Americans severely restrains progress. Persistent discrimination, punitive immigration policies, and reliance on cheap Mexican labor in the southwestern states all make integration more difficult. The authors call for providing Mexican American children with the educational opportunities that European immigrants in previous generations enjoyed. The Mexican American trajectory is distinct—but so is the extent to which this group has been excluded from the American mainstream.

Most immigration literature today focuses either on the immediate impact of immigration or what is happening to the children of newcomers to this country. Generations of Exclusion shows what has happened to Mexican Americans over four decades. In opening this window onto the past and linking it to recent outcomes, Telles and Ortiz provide a troubling glimpse of what other new immigrant groups may experience in the future.

EDWARD E. TELLES is professor of sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles.

VILMA ORTIZ is associate professor of sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Nothing was taken out of context. Care to show me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico