Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

What amazes me the most is all the dismissing of damage costs as "FEMA helped them" or "their insurance company paid". Um, that is US. The productive members of society who pay into those systems. The money doesn't fly out of the eye of the storm from a magical source. I understand if someone is 20 or 20 something and thinks it's so cool, but you really should disclose that and then we'd just blow it off. Since a 20 year old would have been 14 when they "survived Wilma" and have no clue about Florida insurance, or what it means to have your business have to close down, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Parc Vista is a condo community off of Kendall and 142 Ave. We went and looked at a condo there for my son. We liked it because it was 2 stories and faced a nice green park area. We couldn't believe that in 2010 they still had blue tarps on the roofs from Hurricane Wilma. They're having some sort of issue with the condo association. The HOA dues were over $300 a month and some residents still have tarps. I don't know how anyone can sell a place in there.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No I'm talking about TAMARAC. There were tarps on the roofs there throughout 2007, I know because I was house hunting at the time and cursing the deterioration of the city (by that time more due to the housing crash, overall).

Hurricane Jeanne anybody? Oh nothing, right? No. My entire HOA community in Vero Beach was impacted for at least a year if not more. Entire buildings leveled. People had to move OUT, they were uninhabitable and untenantable.
rita was a non event. you must be thinking of another storm.
File:Rita 2005 track.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-28-2011, 12:46 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It would be awesome if a hurricane could hold together and pass through NYC. Possible but highly unlikely.
Why?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 542 times
I'm not knocking anyones Hurricane misery, only relating mine! Hurricane Wilma inthe Cancun area 2005. We landed in Cancun on the Saturday before the storm making landfall and the first thing I did was check weather! Only thing was a Tropical Depression in the Atlantic, great news! Or so I thought. Daily I watched this thing migrate East almost directly and within 2 days this storm was a Cat.1. The locals assured us it would turn North but, with the forward speed of 5-7mph I had concerns.
On Tues. I confronted our group of ten and warned them we better watch this thing, for inthree days I could see no turn to the North! The chuckles I recieved almost made me feel as though I was being paranoid.. Wed. the next day reality set in for us all as we sat at Sr. Frogs 2nd story floor and noticed this migration of people up the street from the ferry! One in our group asked ,"Look at these people, clothes, beds and then silence, the Hurricane was in fact going to smack us!
Decision was made to evacuate to Miridia but was a day too late, for they were taking no more tourist. Needless to say the storm started showing it's anger late Wednesday, with no way out! We rode this thing out for 3 days of 150-130 MPH winds and torrential rains that never seemed to show an end, and on the third day a few brave soles and I left the shelter to see if we had anything left in our Villa to go back to! I must say the locals took excellent care of us, and even though wet and hungry, we were thankful to have survived this thing!
A week later we finally got out, due to the fact the airport took a direct hit, (Two flights a day were sent in to deal with 20,000 stranded tourist. Getting to the line for a flight required us to leave our hotel at 2:00a.m. and stand in line 13 hours! Yep, I know Hurricanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami