Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
The improvements with wooden homes are the extra joists that are added to make it more secure(part of the hurricane code) as this was not the case during Hurricane Andrew.
Are impact windows code now for new construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well the people on this thread that are wishing and hoping for a hurricane are wishing for weather to come here that will kill people. I think that is sick.
And coming from the city of Vice and Dexter this is surprising?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
just for the record - i am a meteorology nerd. i like hurricanes. no i dont like people getting hurt but that doesnt subtract from admiring the awe and raw power of nature. if you dont like that TOUGH.

i go through this crap every time we have a storm so im just going to be loud and obnoxious about it and if you dont like it too bad. I LIKE HURRICANES!

wait that font wasnt big enough. i need to make the font bigger somehow.

I UNAPOLOGETICALLY ENJOY HURRICANES!

NOW COME DESTROY ME IRENE! BRING IT B$%#H
Careful what you wish for Cix.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:25 PM

83 posts, read 216,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I Love Hurricanes. I Welcome them. We get warnings and memos to get the hell out of dangerous places and people don't listen. RARELY does the hurricane itself kill people. Its more of a Flash Flooding or Tornado that spins off that does it.On a non weather related note its people who go surf when their told not too, go to the beach, try to get branches mixed with power lines or people who run out of medicine or something cause they didnt take heed and ignored warnings. I am not a sick person and don't want anyone to die and I don't think the rest of people who enjoys hurricanes wish death upon anybody either. You people have to stop giving hurricane victims the benefit of the doubt because WE ALL KNOW ESPECIALLY LIVING IN FLORIDA PEOPLE IGNORE WEATHER WARNINGS AND PUT THEIR OWN LIVES AT RISK AS WELL AS THE MEDICAL AND RESCUE TEAMS. SO No I don't feel sorry for them and again I wish death upon nobody, but hurricanes are fun and weather junkies like me, enjoy natrual nature pattern changes, that's all.
While I am glad you are wealthy and have the means with which to ride out these fun hurricanes you want and yet still return back to your normal life, others do not have such luxury. Others do not have the luxury of rebuilding their homes when their roofs are damaged, or cannot afford to go weeks without power because they are elderly or infirm. As for people not heeding warnings, some do - but some cannot. You have a car and can easily drive yourself around because you are privileged, but there are many people who don't have cars and cannot simply drive off into the sunset when they feel like it. Even if services are offered for them to leave, would you be willing to leave behind the little you have with the threat of losing it all? For many, the few possessions they own are in their home and to risk losing everything would spell ruin for them. For these people, everything isn't so black and white.

Before anyone considers Hurricanes fun, they ought to recognize that they are more fortunate, and that its a very ugly thing to say (essentially) "I could care less if you are miserable for weeks or even years after, I won't be and therefore let me enjoy this destructive event". Hurricanes are natural, and to be impressed or awed by them, when they come, is one thing, but its a whole another thing to wish them or desire them. That comes from a selfish mentality and Hurricanes are no joke for those who can't afford one but don't have a say in the matter.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Quote:
just for the record - i am a meteorology nerd. i like hurricanes. no i dont like people getting hurt but that doesnt subtract from admiring the awe and raw power of nature. if you dont like that TOUGH.

i go through this crap every time we have a storm so im just going to be loud and obnoxious about it and if you dont like it too bad. I LIKE HURRICANES!

wait that font wasnt big enough. i need to make the font bigger somehow.

I UNAPOLOGETICALLY ENJOY HURRICANES!

NOW COME DESTROY ME IRENE! BRING IT B$%#H
Do you get an orgasm whenever a CAT 3 Hurricane comes along?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Well I locked my door, hooked up the Bobcat and am on my way to Miami. If the hurricane looks like it will hit I will drive my parents to my home, leave them there and return to Miami to guard the fort. While their home is inadequate ( built by contractors) it does have a shed I built which doubles as a hurricane shelter. No windows and a concrete filled steel door. Ironic that Dade County fussed about it since we built it in 1988. I went in there for Andrew around 1am and stayed there till morning. In my home my elderly parents will enjoy peace and quiet, with a wood powered generator and hours of backup battery power for everything except central air. I have enough wood chips to run the place for six months. I will also have to visit my old home to see how it holds up if we get hit. I have a few friends who might go to my place because their homes were built by Arvida or Lennar and they value their lives too much to take a chance.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
where is this? i havent seen any such thing except the 3-4 inches of pigeon crap on a doorstep down the street remind me how bad the housing economy is here.
I noticed most of that in Fort Lauderdale, especially around Vistamar and Terramar and some of the streets a bit west of where I was. I was shocked at the number of abandoned buildings and at least one of them was at least a 10 story building with rusted out air conditioners on the side. I have noticed this in other areas, but I don't remember the specific locations. Look at my photo album on fb and see the the one called "The beauty of empty lots". There is a whole shopping center that is abandoned there.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Do you get an orgasm whenever a CAT 3 Hurricane comes along?
i might

also it would be cool to buy jim cantore a beer

Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I noticed most of that in Fort Lauderdale, especially around Vistamar and Terramar and some of the streets a bit west of where I was. I was shocked at the number of abandoned buildings and at least one of them was at least a 10 story building with rusted out air conditioners on the side. I have noticed this in other areas, but I don't remember the specific locations. Look at my photo album on fb and see the the one called "The beauty of empty lots". There is a whole shopping center that is abandoned there.
i would tack it up more to the depressed economy than hurricane damage. drive around us-1 between here and perrine and you see lots of that as well. lots of storefronts and buildings for lease or in various stages of dilapidation.

before they fenced it off i used to like exploring the old abandoned areas by the homestead airforce base. now those WERE ruins from andrew.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
People still die when hurricanes blow through. 35 people died in Hurricane Wilma and that storm was NOT Andrew or Katrina.
And some of those people died from their own stupidity. I documented this hurricane, (Wilma), because it was my second "major" one after Katrina, (which was a joke in FL).

I had my Gilligan radio and because I had no power, I wrote my friend a long letter that went on for days...nothing else to do.

Some of these people were killed when they went out AFTER the storm, to look at damage and ran in to debris on the road or debris fell on to their car. One guy in Coral Springs was killed when he went out DURING the hurricane because a neighbor told him that a tree had just landed on one of his cars. It was a car he had just purchased for his wife...so he goes outside, DURING the storm to look at it? And while he was out there, another tree fell on him.

Some people died because they either put their generators in their homes or just outside the windows DESPITE REPEATED WARNINGS not to do those very things.

So, let's not get out of control here thinking that those who enjoy hurricanes enjoy death...stupid people are going to do stupid things and kill themselves, hurricane or not.

I happen to enjoy hurricanes. Like I said, Katrina was a joke. I laughed through that one, my very first hurricane. Rita...not even worth mentioning. Wilma...a little scary, my first hurricane season but it still wasn't that bad. I found it to be very exciting and frankly, if people PREPARE and don't do stupid things, they have a higher likelihood of surviving the thing.

Wilma may have been a Cat 5...in Central America but not in Miami. It was a Cat 2.

Further, BlueBlueBlue, I'm afraid that you won't get your wish about people having to be nicer. After Wilma, the power was out and that included the stop lights. I lived on the beach at an intersection and instead of people following the rule of one person goes at a time from each section, people pushed and shoved and clawed their way through that intersection and the honking was 300 times worse than it is, normally.

Further, no one bothered to prepare. Within hours people were crying and moaning for the government to come save them and give them ice and water. Give me a break.

That was my first season, I had known I was moving to FL so before I even moved I bought a wind up radio, batteries, a flashlight, candles, lighters, matches, etc.

I listened and followed advice given about what foods to store, fill up old water bottles 3/4 of the way with water as well as Ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. The week of, before Wilma, I ate for dinner what was in the freezer, saving what was in the pantry IN CASE we lost power. I filled the bathtub up, just in case. I got cash out of the bank and I also filled up my car with gas. I didn't need a thing until about two weeks after the hurricane. Which, by that time, things were back up and running and returning to normal.

But these people could not take care of themselves for 12 hours? REALLY?!

I'm not talking about elderly or disabled, these were perfectly able bodied people who refused to help themselves and would sit in ice/water lines for hours, with the car on, (and the weather after Wilma was pleasant, no need for a/c), and then ran out of gas while sitting in that line for ice and water and then bitched and moaned about running out of gas...

No, sorry, you're going to get the exact opposite of what you hope for. You think those people are cut throat now? Watch what happens after another Cat 3 or higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami