Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
The destruction and monetary costs would be a small price to pay for the hopeful improvement in the city's citizens.
What about the dead people? Do you think their families would consider it a small price to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
some of us enjoy the violence of the weather. especially those us of from boring weather states. you have to expect that given the number of hurricanes that hit florida you will gradually acquire a number of people who move here and consider them a plus rather than a minus as the people who cant put up with them move out.
I am also interested in violent weather. However, I do draw the line at wishing violent weather will hit, killing people and destroying their property. I don't think anyone who has lived through these storms considers them a plus of living here. Most of us consider them just something that you have to expect every now and then.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am also interested in violent weather. However, I do draw the line at wishing violent weather will hit, killing people and destroying their property. I don't think anyone who has lived through these storms considers them a plus of living here. Most of us consider them just something that you have to expect every now and then.
naturally the majority of sane people dont want weather to hurt or kill anyone or ruin lives. we went through wilma after we first moved here. sure it was no andrew (you can only andrew or katrina a place once) and it was a struggle (ive documented it in previous posts) but i'm glad i had the experience. ever since 3rd grade doing book reports on them i always had wanted to experience one and i consider it a treasured experience on my experience resume.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
naturally the majority of sane people dont want weather to hurt or kill anyone or ruin lives. we went through wilma after we first moved here. sure it was no andrew (you can only andrew or katrina a place once) and it was a struggle (ive documented it in previous posts) but i'm glad i had the experience. ever since 3rd grade doing book reports on them i always had wanted to experience one and i consider it a treasured experience on my experience resume.
Well the people on this thread that are wishing and hoping for a hurricane are wishing for weather to come here that will kill people. I think that is sick.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Well the people on this thread that are wishing and hoping for a hurricane are wishing for weather to come here that will kill people. I think that is sick.
building codes and new materials are always improving. eventually hurricanes will be just a nuisance. its like in japan how during their major quake most of them were just working through it because the vast majority of the time unless it is a major major one everything is under control. the technology will only improve over time as it is an evolution in building materials. what doesnt blow away gets copied.

like i said, a place can only be andrew'd or katrina'd once.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
building codes and new materials are always improving. eventually hurricanes will be just a nuisance. its like in japan how during their major quake most of them were just working through it because the vast majority of the time unless it is a major major one everything is under control. the technology will only improve over time as it is an evolution in building materials. what doesnt blow away gets copied.

like i said, a place can only be andrew'd or katrina'd once.
People still die when hurricanes blow through. 35 people died in Hurricane Wilma and that storm was NOT Andrew or Katrina.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
People still die when hurricanes blow through. 35 people died in Hurricane Wilma and that storm was NOT Andrew or Katrina.
i still enjoy hurricanes. ive been through a wet event (katrina) and a wind event (wilma) all i ask is to see the eye now.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
I would no more wish for a hurricane for people, than I would wish for a tsunami. What some people regard as a "small sacrifice" and "minor damage to the infrastructure" puts families out on the street, smashes dreams, ruins lives, leaves people who require the use of their oxygen machines, without power to run their machines, leaves people without their life sustaining medicines,leaves people with health conditions without air conditioning or ice, or any kind of relief from the heat, and many other awful effects. I could never wish that on anyone, save my worst enemy. I do not think the population of Miami is sufficiently "evil" enough to be deserving of that.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:37 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Take a drive down the street. See how about a third of the buildings look vacant and abandoned with rusty air conditioners. A lot of what you see is from hurricane and storm damage. Pretty neat for the local economy, huh?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times
I Love Hurricanes. I Welcome them. We get warnings and memos to get the hell out of dangerous places and people don't listen. RARELY does the hurricane itself kill people. Its more of a Flash Flooding or Tornado that spins off that does it.On a non weather related note its people who go surf when their told not too, go to the beach, try to get branches mixed with power lines or people who run out of medicine or something cause they didnt take heed and ignored warnings. I am not a sick person and don't want anyone to die and I don't think the rest of people who enjoys hurricanes wish death upon anybody either. You people have to stop giving hurricane victims the benefit of the doubt because WE ALL KNOW ESPECIALLY LIVING IN FLORIDA PEOPLE IGNORE WEATHER WARNINGS AND PUT THEIR OWN LIVES AT RISK AS WELL AS THE MEDICAL AND RESCUE TEAMS. SO No I don't feel sorry for them and again I wish death upon nobody, but hurricanes are fun and weather junkies like me, enjoy natrual nature pattern changes, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami