Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
More American 72 28.80%
More Latin American 178 71.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Lol are you kidding? Just because you say certain things doesn't mean people will believe it no matter how many times you say it. You do understand that I was following your compadres criteria?

The list you are defending is going by Ancestry, I went by foreign born. D.C. is clearly diverse, Miami is not.
As diverse as DC seems, it's still predominatly black outside of the main CBD, Tourist areas, and yuppy neighborhoods. I was just there 3 weeeks ago. How is it any different for Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
LOL dude, I live here. I don't hear those languages you describe - not even Creole. I have zero problem with Spanish BTW, before you get all bent out of shape. It's a beautiful language and one I'd be more inclined to learn if the locals weren't such *******s.
I'm Haitian, my aunt had a salon in Little Haiti. How do you not here Creole down there? They were playing Haitian music in the streets in Little Haiti last time I was there. Are you sure you live in Miami? It has one of the highest Haitian populations outside of Haiti. Heck, North Miami has a Haitian Mayor. 1st Haitian mayor in the US. I'm a little confused here.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:15 PM

You guys confuse me. I guess all the the Haitians, Jamaicans, and Bahamians, that I know down there are all holograms? I guess Miami being a Beta world city was just some dream someone had Incepted in my mind while I was sleeping last night?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
there is no way miami is more of an american city

you may be confusing miami with tampa/st pete

and i'm talkin miami proper and miami beach

Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
LOL dude, I live here. I don't hear those languages you describe - not even Creole. I have zero problem with Spanish BTW, before you get all bent out of shape. It's a beautiful language and one I'd be more inclined to learn if the locals weren't such *******s.
How could you have never even heard creole?!! Where do you live?? There hundred of thousands of Haitains in the Miami area. Little Haiti is a large area where creole is the number one language. All the government signs and papers are in English, Spanish and Creole.

I agree there are some people that think everyone should know spanish and that is NOT right. I think if you live in the US you should know English. I hate how I can be somewhere and people working at a restaurant or store either speak to you in Spanish first or dont speak english at all! This is the one thing I hate about Miami. But its not really miami to blame its the new immigrants and their attitude towards the United States and its people but that is for a whole other topic. Maybe I will start it soon. Anyway I dont see this being a major problem in around 10 years when the amount of 2nd and 3rd generation hispanics far exceeds first generation. And hopefully the government does something about illegal immigration. So I agree with you many Miami locals are rude and mean especially about their language.

Just today and yesterday I have heard: Haitain Creole, French, Russian, portuguese, Spanish and English. This was doing just normal daily things.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,189,036 times
Thats because Your.Decision doesn't actually live in Miami, he's just a troll...duh. Even if he did live in Miami, he's still a troll with nothing better to do then complain.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:56 AM

242 posts, read 315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Thats because Your.Decision doesn't actually live in Miami, he's just a troll...duh. Even if he did live in Miami, he's still a troll with nothing better to do then complain.
I wish you were correct.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
I wish you were correct.
Well if you do live in Miami I reccomend you see some of its sighs such as Miami Beach, Little Haiti, Downtown because if you never heard creole you never have been there.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM

196 posts, read 590,153 times
Default ?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
LA is predominantly Hispanic, as diverse as NY is, it's predominantly white(moslty Italian ancestry, heck the whole borough of Staten is Italian), Philly predominantly black in most areas, DC, predominant black in most areas.

i think someone's watched the godfather too many times.

have you ever actually lived in nyc or spent any significant amount of time there? while there are certainly alot of italians in nyc, there are tons of people from every background imaginable.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 AM

26 posts, read 82,327 times
As a South Florida native who was travelled accross America and lived in many different places, I would definitely say that, while Miami has a very strong Latin/Caribbean feel to it, It is definitely and unmistakeable an American City! Where do I start? The skyscrapers, the suburbs, the 7-11's, the ENGLISH spoken my the good majority even if it be rusty at times. One quick look at Miami and you are definitely in the United States of AMERICA, no question about it. Now, the grey part is the people, who many cme from latin America and have brought with them their culture (which is quite westernized anyways) I would say some border towns or southern Louisiana might be more "Un-American"(whatever that means) than Miami. It is true most "Miamenses" speak Spanish, Creole or some other language other than English. But in Miami, the main language is of course English. The city buses are publically funded, the starbucks brew the same coffee and the radio stations play the same hits as anywhere else in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami