Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
More American 72 28.80%
More Latin American 178 71.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times

Advertisements

Not sure why someone dug up this old thread, but I also observe that Miami is very much a US city, at the very least by administration (it is on US soil) and financing, but even education as the second and third generation latinos are now struggling to maintain Spanish, believe me, I see it everyday among the children.

But to focus on finance, for example, do the research on the major infrastructure projects in Miami such as intermodal logistics centers (PortMiami, MIA, cargo and passenger railroads, etc.), and you will discover that almost all the private-sector financing comes from the northeast US (New York), just as it did a century ago with the likes of Henry Flagler, and the public-sector financing comes from Washington and Tallahassee, while locals manage a lot of the international trade and of course day-to-day administration, service jobs, etc.

There are other strategic sectors we could talk about like electricity, telecommunications, food distribution, water management and military. Take a look at who owns, for example, FPL, AT&T and Publix, while the latter two are major undertakings directed by both the national and state governments.

Such things are the nuts and bolts of a society.

However, I realize that many people on these forums are young and they focus on such superficialities as how many restaurants, night clubs and street parties, what food is being served, what music is being played, boobs and culies.

Grow up and try to understand Miami's (and more generally Florida's) role in European colonial and US history and the US relationship with the Caribbean and Latin America. Even the success of Cuban Americans and others in developing Miami into a major regional hub on the international trade circuit is much more a typical US success story than a Latin American success story, though no doubt the two are intertwined.

To people coming from the north (both US and increasingly contemporary Europe, e.g. Russia), Miami offers an abundance of warmth and water, and they bring their wealth with them to enjoy it and develop it, to people coming from the south it offers relative political and economic stability on US soil, and relative proximity to where they came from, and they bring their wealth with them to enjoy it and develop it. Together over the past 60-70 years they have made Miami what it is today - no doubt the Cubans and others have been a booster shot in the arm, injecting fresh, new, energetic blood - and will continue to do so going forward.

Last edited by bale002; 01-21-2013 at 03:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
I don't know to what extent Miami is American and Latin American. What I do know is that Miami is not very much like Los Angeles. Much of Los Angeles is a constellation of dense, walkable neighborhoods with their own commercial districts, connected by quality transit lines. Those neighborhoods and commercial streets were few and far between outside Miami Beach. Miami had highrises blocks from vacant, undeveloped parcels, there is nothing like that in Los Angeles. Miami has more highrises per capita than LA, which is an argument for LA's low rise but widespread urbanism. Miami is much more of a resort city/region, while Los Angeles has multiple large economic sectors, of which tourism is only one.
Miami very multi-nodal. Many dense, walkable neighborhoods and towns and downtowns spread about Miam-Dade and South Florida. Miami Beach being the only walkbale part of Miami, is one of the biggest myths about Miami.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM

270 posts, read 703,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeHayes View Post
One quick look at Miami and you are definitely in the United States of AMERICA, no question about it. Now, the grey part is the people, who many cme from latin America and have brought with them their culture (which is quite westernized anyways) I would say some border towns or southern Louisiana might be more "Un-American"(whatever that means) than Miami. It is true most "Miamenses" speak Spanish, Creole or some other language other than English. But in Miami, the main language is of course English. The city buses are publically funded, the starbucks brew the same coffee and the radio stations play the same hits as anywhere else in America.
Are you certain about that? I've traveled to many cities in the East Coast (ATL, Chi-town, Indy, etc) and they are resembling one another, except Miami. The main language down here is definitely Spanish. Some of the hits on radio stations only play in Miami e.g Danza Kuduro. Miami has its own vibe. The best thing about Miami is that it is super close to the US.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
Which Latin american cities? Maybe Brasilia...or a small town in Brazil.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
Are you certain about that? I've traveled to many cities in the East Coast (ATL, Chi-town, Indy, etc) and they are resembling one another, except Miami.
LOL. You need a lesson in geography.

Either that, or a basic map of the U.S.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 PM

696 posts, read 1,171,052 times
If by "American" you are referring to white America, than no.

America was and still is built on immigrants, and is a mix of all backgrounds and religion.

So Miami in that case is just as American as any other city in the United States.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM

270 posts, read 703,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL. You need a lesson in geography.

Either that, or a basic map of the U.S.
You meant I have to be in Mass, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, etc. to be counted as EAST COAST? Otherwise, all those cities I listed are Mid-West. Feel free to enlighten me about geography. Does Atlantic City, NJ; Baltimore, MD; and NY, NY count? I'll have to go thru my photo albums to make sure I get all the EAST COAST cities correct though.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM

I still want to know what LATAM cities look like Miami... my money is on Brasilia. Other than that, maybe some Americanized theme suburb in Brazil.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM

210 posts, read 565,846 times
I hear Panama City and San Juan look like Miami. Maybe mid-size Brazilian cities like Natal, Vitoria, Maceio, or Sao Luis? Maybe people that have been to these cities can confirm or deny it. I'm just basing it on what I've read/pictures/videos, so it's obviously just a guess.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
I hear Panama City and San Juan look like Miami. Maybe mid-size Brazilian cities like Natal, Vitoria, Maceio, or Sao Luis? Maybe people that have been to these cities can confirm or deny it. I'm just basing it on what I've read/pictures/videos, so it's obviously just a guess.
Yeah, Panama City it's also my guess, but I think it resembles more to cities like Manila, Singapore, Bangkok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami