Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Orlando similar to Miami?
Yes 16 19.51%
No 66 80.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Orlando is getting there (like Miami). I would expect in the next 20-30 yrs or so, it's going to resemble Miami a lot.
I dont see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I dont see it

Orlando will never be exactly like Miami ... simply because Orlando will never have a large and overwhelming Cuban population running the city ... Cubans are almost infected with Miami .. it is in their blood .. and recent arrivals especially will not even head North of Pembroke Pines . Puerto Ricans will be a large part of the populace of Orlando ... but they are more working class and generally lower income than the Cubans and will never take over the city like the Cubans have in Miami .... they do not have the wealth and political clout of the Cubans especially with the GOP ... if anything with the large and growing Puerto Rican population Orlando may become more like Brooklyn or the Bronx .. yikes

Also South Americans are not as attracted to Orlando like they are with Miami and if it was not for the "Mouse" many would not even go to Orlando . I actually like Orlando and feel areas like Wyndermere , Dr . Philips , Lake Mary , Tradition , Winter Park and nearby Mt.Dora are lovely .

Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
You have no idea what Calle Ocho is all about. The festival abandoned its Cuban roots a while back, so you will see more tacos and enchiladas there than you will traditional Cuban food. It has transformed into a festival in which the poorest, most disadvantaged people in Miami go to misbehave and rally for indigenuous Hispanic causes. It is not a tourist oriented event whatsoever. The mood of the whole expo is unquestionably Anti-American, pro-Central South American. That is NOT the way it used to be.

Cuba libre..wherever you're, you're a Cubanazo...
That tirade comes from your abuela's mouth...
Manolon .... you need to get on the ball here ... your are allowing your emotions to get the best of you .... Cuba Libre was banned here many months ago ... also Calle Ocho is nasty and yes "chusma" no matter what Hispanic majority is running the show .

Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Let's pray for Orlando's sake!! I hope it doesn't become the next Miami. If this happens to Orlando, who's next? Tampa or Jacksonville?
We will all be long dead before either Jacksonville or Tampa become like Miami or even Orlando for that matter

Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM

242 posts, read 315,546 times
I'm no fan of Miami, but Miami is nothing like Orlando. Miami is 1,000 times more urban and its skyline pisses on Orlando's (for want of a better word). Both cities have crazy drivers though.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Orlando will never be exactly like Miami ... simply because Orlando will never have a large and overwhelming Cuban population running the city ... Cubans are almost infected with Miami .. it is in their blood .. and recent arrivals especially will not even head North of Pembroke Pines . Puerto Ricans will be a large part of the populace of Orlando ... but they are more working class and generally lower income than the Cubans and will never take over the city like the Cubans have in Miami .... they do not have the wealth and political clout of the Cubans especially with the GOP ... if anything with the large and growing Puerto Rican population Orlando may become more like Brooklyn or the Bronx .. yikes

Also South Americans are not as attracted to Orlando like they are with Miami and if it was not for the "Mouse" many would not even go to Orlando . I actually like Orlando and feel areas like Wyndermere , Dr . Philips , Lake Mary , Tradition , Winter Park and nearby Mt.Dora are lovely .

LOL, that's funny you say that because that's where most of them come from. Yikes is right!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:37 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Manolon .... you need to get on the ball here ... your are allowing your emotions to get the best of you .... Cuba Libre was banned here many months ago ... also Calle Ocho is nasty and yes "chusma" no matter what Hispanic majority is running the show .
------

Rock

Yes, you are right.
I was at the first Calle Ocho Festival back in 1978 and it was also "chusmeria".
I remember there was some hippy pervert with a Democratic Party stand trying to gain Dem voters speaking in English, he caught all sorts of "flak"... from "comunista" to "maric..n".
That was the only funny part of the festival.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Orlando is getting there (like Miami). I would expect in the next 20-30 yrs or so, it's going to resemble Miami a lot.
-----

How do you know if you never been in Miami?
In 30 years all of us will be bald (En 30 años todos calvos).

Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

How do you know if you never been in Miami?
In 30 years all of us will be bald (En 30 años todos calvos).

I have been to Miami, and ALL of my my in-laws are born and raised Miamians - now living in Western NC.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:48 PM

And I've been to Western NC, but that's not enough to bash a place 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami