Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,880,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsuc&s View Post
I moved from the frozen waste land last year, dont miss it a bit. it is 65 in the middle of dec. love it. I can let my shovel rust in peace.
The taxes are much cheaper here, and it is much cheaper to cool your home than to heat it, you can stay in mi and make the oil companys rich,
All you can do in the winter is to hole up and wait till spring and then fix all the muck the freez thaw makes.
The heat pumps work fine here, they do not in MI. when the temp goes down below 20deg. the heat strips kick on and you need to stand next to your meter with an oil can.

I guess even the some stalag inmates would say things are not that bad if they had no way out.
JP see you down here and keep the stars and bars flying.
<sniff, sniff, blows nose> And yet you still care enough to at least visit us online. How touching. Prime example of "you can leave Michigan, but Michigan never leaves you."

Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,515,190 times
Default Hot cocoa

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
We got a few inches of snow out here in metro DC yesterday. Aside from the fact that people don't know how to drive out here in the snow, it was beautiful to see the flakes coming down and laying a white, fluffy blanket on the buildings and trees.
I was living in D.C. metro area (think Rockville in the area) about 2 years ago this time of year. And I have to wholeheartedly on both points. I would have found it funny that people didn't know how to drive in snow except for the fact I was in sheer terror of getting killed my some of the maniacs on the road. But what was funny was that they would shut don't the whole government if they got 3 inches or snow that didn't even stick. At least that's what happen when I was there. One other thing D.C. Metro area from June thru July is a humid nightmare. I remember running on a high school track a 8pm on time and it was like running in my home state of MA. at noon time. It was tough to say the least.

Quote:
I think it's one of those things you come to appreciate when you don't have it anymore. The grass is always greener on the other side, familiarity breeds contempt, however you wanna put it.
Yep get you there. And would like to say. Christmas with out cold, snow, and hot cocoa. BLAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 AM

83 posts, read 387,774 times
Personally the weather is not enough of a reason or me to leave but add in the job market and I am all set to pack When I say job market I am not talking about jobs in general as I don't have a problem getting one. But rather specific jobs that I might actually enjoy.

I don't mind the snow (as long as its just a little). But it was 12 degrees this morning. In another month I will have to spend 1/2 hour chipping ice off my windsheild. 2 hours on the road for a 30 minute commute because of snow. Dark and gloomy days. Nasty salt all over my car. Although fresh snow is beautiful (and Christmas just wouldnt be the same wihtout it!) it really makes the area look like crap after the plows, slush, salt and everything else gets going.

Is the sun even still there? Doesnt help that its dark when I leave for work and dark on the way home. Cloudy skies don't help.

To each his own I guess. But after 30 some years I am tired of this cold

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
We got a few inches of snow out here in metro DC yesterday. Aside from the fact that people don't know how to drive out here in the snow, it was beautiful to see the flakes coming down and laying a white, fluffy blanket on the buildings and trees.

I think it's one of those things you come to appreciate when you don't have it anymore. The grass is always greener on the other side, familiarity breeds contempt, however you wanna put it.

I grew up in Michigan, so even though I was used to the cold, snowy winters, they did get old after a while. So I can appreciate someone's frustration with it. But when you generally don't get ANY cold and snow, you do get a little nostalgic for it. No, I wouldn't want it every day ... but it's really not all that bad!

We were in D.C. in August of this year, when the temps were near 100 and the heat index was 110. You couldn't even walk more than a block without seeking shelter in a restaurant or museum. There were not a lot of pedestrians out and about either. In contrast, I was out yesterday in 20 degree (or so) weather doing some photography and could have stayed outside for hours. Earmuffs are key. I'm taking my kids to the opening of GR's ice-skating rink this weekend and it's all they can talk about.

BTW: I'd like some more snow before Christmas please.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 AM

760 posts, read 2,442,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespeterson View Post
ITS SOO cold out here in michigan i cant wait to move to atlanta where its warm.

Seriously the weather in michigan sucks and so do the job markets.

Give me couple more months and good bye michigan!
LOL!!! What are you doing here then!
We have just under 3ft. of snow on the ground, last night was in the negative wind chills and we absolutely positively LOVE it!!

Then again we moved up here from the Grand Rapids area because we thought the winters down there were to mild!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM

749 posts, read 2,773,691 times
Who *holes up*?

I cross country ski, snow shoe, make snowmen, go sledding, have snow ball fights, make snow angels, ice fish......all things you cant do in summer. True, hardy Michiganders appreciate the Winter and all it brings.

Heck, up here in Charlevoix, I usually have to shovel every day, I dont mind it, its great excersize.

All those who cant handle Winters glory, please dont let my snowball hit ya on the way out!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 PM

52 posts, read 292,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikes0000 View Post
Personally the weather is not enough of a reason or me to leave but add in the job market and I am all set to pack When I say job market I am not talking about jobs in general as I don't have a problem getting one. But rather specific jobs that I might actually enjoy.

I don't mind the snow (as long as its just a little). But it was 12 degrees this morning. In another month I will have to spend 1/2 hour chipping ice off my windsheild. 2 hours on the road for a 30 minute commute because of snow. Dark and gloomy days. Nasty salt all over my car. Although fresh snow is beautiful (and Christmas just wouldnt be the same wihtout it!) it really makes the area look like crap after the plows, slush, salt and everything else gets going.

Is the sun even still there? Doesnt help that its dark when I leave for work and dark on the way home. Cloudy skies don't help.

To each his own I guess. But after 30 some years I am tired of this cold
Like you, the job market here sucks, my DH has been without employment since mid June. Of course he can find something minimum wage, but that's not gonna take care of things. I am sick of the cold too, without a job I see no real reason in staying here unless you love the cold. My family would have a better quality of life in a another State. I need more sunshine, life is too short.

To each it's own! I'm surprised some people responded so imature to this thread. I think they could use more warm weather and sunshine too, Obviously someone is depressed, lol! Oh and Mi was just voted one of the most DEPRESSING STATES!!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:58 PM

84 posts, read 364,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemichigan View Post
Oh and Mi was just voted one of the most DEPRESSING STATES!!
Where was that vote? I'd be interested to see that and some of the other state rankings.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSticks View Post
Where was that vote? I'd be interested to see that and some of the other state rankings.
They took a vote at the dinner table.

Oh wait, the moderators here told us not to feed the trolls, like the OP of this thread, snowsuc&s, etc.. Oops.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,763 times
Michigan will become one of the poorest states in the country. Thanks to free trade. The home values are dropping lower and lower everyday. Foreclosures galore. If you have cash to invest in a home Michigan is the place for foreclosures.

stjosephmichigan.blogspot.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan