Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times

Advertisements

This is getting scary - really close to home for me.

How are you preparing for this flu?

Suspect case of swine flu in Allegan Co. | allegan, swine, case - Top Stories - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,354,165 times
Well, you know, I was reading about the symptoms of the swine flu and was surprised to find they are exactly what my husband and son experienced earlier this year. In fact, we made two trips to the doctor and two trips to the hospital with my son- he was sick for over a week. The wierd thing is we have not traveled outside the state, much less the country, and none of their firends or colleagues had it, to the best of our knowledge, so don't know where they would have picked it up.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:10 PM

87 posts, read 255,171 times
I'm not worried at all, this is just another manufactured media/government scare. What a joke.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliteration View Post
I'm not worried at all, this is just another manufactured media/government scare. What a joke.
Are you serious? Hundreds have died from this! This is a real threat, and if nothing else, it will seriously damage our economy.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
The swine flu comes through every few years and it hasn't hurt the economy yet, to my knowledge. Now, an international scare about it, THAT stands to hurt the economy.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM

209 posts, read 658,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Are you serious? Hundreds have died from this! This is a real threat, and if nothing else, it will seriously damage our economy.

True... but all of these have been in Mexico where it all began and they don't have as good as health care as the United States does.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:57 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Huh? Damage our economy? I agree with others that this is way overblown. Remember the Bird Flu? SARS? West Nile Virus? The carnage was so massive, they're still cleaning up bodies in our area. <sarcasm>

How many people in the U.S. die a year from just normal influenza? Or Pneumonia? Probably more than a few thousand.

Maybe this will stimulate the healthcare economy.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,354,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Huh? Damage our economy? I agree with others that this is way overblown. Remember the Bird Flu? SARS? West Nile Virus? The carnage was so massive, they're still cleaning up bodies in our area. <sarcasm>

How many people in the U.S. die a year from just normal influenza? Or Pneumonia? Probably more than a few thousand.

Maybe this will stimulate the healthcare economy.
If the healthcare industry is to be helped by this, then it will have to a much better job than it did during the last swine flu epidemic in 1976. The drug companies geared up by producing lots of vaccine, only to have 2 dozen more deaths from the vaccine than from the flu. The single fatality was an already-ill soldier from Ft. Dix who participated in a five-mile march against medical advice. In addition to the 25 deaths from the vaccine, over 500 people suffered from the effects of Guillain-Barre syndrome. Watching my MIL die from the advancing paralysis of this condition is enough to convince me that I will never have a flu shot.

Actually, the 1918 pandemic, which killed between 20 and 40 million people worldwide in a single year, is, from the reading I have done, a strain of swine flu.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 PM

298 posts, read 1,090,227 times
Quote:
Not hundreds, 150 at least in Mexico and none in the U.S. And the regular flu kills on average 36,000 every year. So, we are a long way to go yet to be comparing the swine flu to the regular flu in terms of deaths.

Its people like you and the media that cause panic and should just keep their mouths shut.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Swine Flu - Bah, what a farce. As has been said already,many more die from the regular flu than swine flu whenever it rears its head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan