Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 04:57 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Unfortunately since some of these things are hard to prove and/or take considerable effort on the examiner they are often denied. this is why I advise anyone who has spent any considerable amount of time in the M.E to get a sleep study done while you are able by the VA or military physician. Believe me you will be thankfull that you did later.
It has certainly happened before that when such proactive examinations start to show a trend, the military has prohibited them from continuing.

Sometimes the military has been proactive about prohibiting proactive examinations, as it was in the late 70s with the Swine Flu vaccine: "Don't keep any statistics of soldiers who get sick from it, because we already know some will and we've already decided to accept the collateral damage."

But this is why a whole lot more people would be unjustly screwed out of disability awards if they didn't aggressively seek them. If there are people--and I'm sure there are--who have valid disabilities that are not being accepted, I would suggest it's because those people have tried to be the "strong, silent" types instead of complaining about their injuries while still on active duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 PM

84 posts, read 137,311 times
After sacrificing 20 years of your life I think the current benefits are unfair...to military members. They should get a lot more. The military is not your average job. It can be stressful, you can be moved with no notice, and all sorts of things.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is not correct.... You lost no money.
How do you figure that? If you are working in the civilian world every six months you would get three checks in that month, now in the military you get paid only on the 1st and 15th meaning that you are losing two checks a years

Old 12-28-2013, 06:28 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
How do you figure that? If you are working in the civilian world every six months you would get three checks in that month, now in the military you get paid only on the 1st and 15th meaning that you are losing two checks a years
Because the military is paid a set amount each month. The twice a month checks probably increased to offset the supposedly two checks you lost. IOW, same yearly amount spread over 24 paychecks instead of 26.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Because the military is paid a set amount each month. The twice a month checks probably increased to offset the supposedly two checks you lost. IOW, same yearly amount spread over 24 paychecks instead of 26.
But if the purpose was to save money what would be the purpose of changing it in the first place? I'm not doubting you because during that time I was not making enough money to notice it anyway

Old 12-28-2013, 07:14 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
But if the purpose was to save money what would be the purpose of changing it in the first place? I'm not doubting you because during that time I was not making enough money to notice it anyway
Two paychecks per soldier that did not have to be processed probably showed some savings.

They also later changed the last day of the month paycheck to the first day of the month. The 15 th stayed the same. If I remember correctly the first time they did it, that put the end of September paycheck into October, so a new fiscal year.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
They also later changed the last day of the month paycheck to the first day of the month. The 15 th stayed the same. If I remember correctly the first time they did it, that put the end of September paycheck into October, so a new fiscal year.
I distinctly remember that change, as I was an enlisted Soldier at that time. I knew right away it was a shell game. $3 billion total, but it could only happen once:

Military Payday Shift Yields Budget Pay Dirt - NYTimes.com

Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Two paychecks per soldier that did not have to be processed probably showed some savings.

Ok I guess that makes sense but it seems like they are making money by holding the checks for a day from the interest

Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Politicians are idiots and always try and make it seem like you're getting something for nothing. In the article linked above it says that the military members got a tax break for that year which was their compensation for having to wait an extra day for their paychecks.

Uh, their tax liability was larger the following year and this extra pay in the next year surely pushed a bunch into a higher tax bracket that year. They still paid tax on it.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Ok I guess that makes sense but it seems like they are making money by holding the checks for a day from the interest
No, it was a shell game.

That was the year the military had to meet Graham-Ruddman cuts. They made the "cut" by not paying the last check of the fiscal year.

By law: Military pays appropriated for one fiscal year but unpaid within that fiscal year automatically return to the Treasury at midnight of the last day of the fiscal year of appropriation.

So that 30 September check was not merely held a day...it actually went back to the Treasury. We never got it. The DoD merely moved the 15 Oct check up to 1 Oct.

I was keeping my budget on computer at the time, and my computer certainly told me: "You only got 23 paychecks, bud."

I was torqued off for over a decade over that, until I retired and they caught up with that missing paycheck at the very end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues