Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:03 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
how proud should I be of being a navy veteran with some sea time but no combat I was in from 98 to 02. I wish I would have done more but I got out.
You should be very proud of being a veteran and I am incredibly thankful for your service.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
So called "combat vets" may go through more than their "non combat counterparts", but that still doesn't diminish their service nor commitment.
They get called away to duty, for around a year at a time. I still recall a case where I went to the naval academy in Annapolis, MD to see off a friend who was in the Army National Guard. Amongst one of them also getting deployed was a soldier, whose daughter I'd say was roughly 7 to 9yo, cried her eyes out since her father was going to be gone for at least 8 months. Those are quite some key moments in their children's lives to be missing!
More than one vet got divorced b/c for their spouses, being away for extended amounts of time ended up being more than they thought they could handle.
There was an article from last year where some vets, like those that served in Vietnam, got exposed to dangerous chemicals. They didn't need to be under fire for that to happen.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Funny you bring this up. There are Vets with CAR, Combat Vets without one, Injured Vets, Injured Vets during Operation, Missions, Training, Combat, etc etc. You served, you got injured, you are no different than any other Vet. Be proud you served and respect others as so. Dont try to elevate someone above, or throw another Vet under the bus.
Along with Vets are the civilian support. Huge support network. Many of them got injured too, overseas, in the sandbox...
When I checked into VA, they had me down as a Combat Vet. I said, nope, never saw or heard bullets flying at or near me. In reality, I looked at where I was stationed, and we were in areas "still at war", and areas where combat was going on, or sending in and extracting people in combat. HHmmm. Interesting I was put in there..
Hard to explain, but the line as to who was combat related is not always clear..
No CAR for me, just memories..

Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,672,101 times
a veteran is a veteran is a veteran...the VA health care system is for ALL of us vets..use it and don't feel guilty about it please..btw, the VA health care system in southwest Florida is second to none..

Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I'm not a veteran. I will say, that my Grandfather was a WW2 combat veteran. He was wounded, and to the day he died at a ripe old age, carried Nazi Shrapnel in his knee. After the war, he wasn't able to walk long distances anymore, because it would get to moving around the old wound or whatever and cause him difficulty.

He made comments about though he served and sacrificed, though he was wounded, he often felt a twinge of guilt about "taking a spot" from those who had it worse.

So, there are plenty of people that have it worse, but that's normal and you have to live your own life. If resources were so scarce, I'm sure they would triage and prioritize the hardest cases.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
a veteran is a veteran is a veteran...
Can't agree. There are vets who saw the worst that war has to offer, were POWs who were tortured, lost limbs, were disfigured, suffered severe PTSD......lets not kid ourselves that everyone who wore the uniform all fit in the same category. I can understand OP's perspective.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I served in an artillery unit for many years.
Was a long time in denial that I could not hear well and never checked the VA benefits because I *thought* I could not afford the cost of a hearing aid.

Then after 40 some years, I finally checked and I got a good set for almost nothing !!

Sadly, you can not get eye glasses thru the VA ...

I guess bad vision is not service related !
You can here (won't divulge my location). You get one exam a year and a free pair of eyeglasses (frames up to 100 bucks, I think).

You cannot get contacts unless medically necessary. I would call and find out the nearest eye clinic near you.

This thread is very refreshing and frankly I expected very different responses.

Do you feel guilty for using civilian employer benefits?

I do not know why people feel guilty for using healthcare? As to the GI Bill and VA Loan, again, why feel guilty?

I do not know if they changed it, but I paid into the GI Bill my first year of service - so hell yeah I am going to use it.

How do you abuse the GI BIll??? The school reports your enrollment, you have to attend at least one class on campus, and you have to maintain a C average or better??

The military takes so much - so IMO use every benefit that you are entitled to.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Can't agree. There are vets who saw the worst that war has to offer, were POWs who were tortured, lost limbs, were disfigured, suffered severe PTSD......lets not kid ourselves that everyone who wore the uniform all fit in the same category. I can understand OP's perspective.
And those people are generally celebrated. But raising someone to your shoulders doesn't elevate them unless you're standing tall yourself.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,478 times
Joined the Army in 84, missed Panama, sat in Germany during Desert Shield/Desert Storm, and was looking at retirement when 9/11 hit. Ended up going to Iraq twice and Afghanistan once. As far as I am concerned, if you swore the same oath I did and honorably did your time, you are entitled to exactly the same care as I am. I know the feeling of being left out of the big game, but it did not diminish my service before OIF/OEF one bit.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:41 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Admirable that you think this way, but you did your service and you had an agreement w/ your country/gov't that you'd lay in on the line if needed. It wasn't in the cards. I'd still salute those on the table next to you for their sacrifices. But you don't need to apologize for anything if you served honorably.
Good post.

Now I may get flamed for this, but I think there should be certain distinctions made between an "Honorable" Veteran and every other discharged category veteran. Seems as though anyone can claim to be a "veteran" and receive certain amenities without anyone knowing the true nature of their discharge unless they see their 214. Not including medical discharges or anyone receiving VA medical care. But then again, I also think a "Bad Conduct Discharge" shouldn't follow a person for the rest of their lives. People change.

No...I am NOT speaking from experience....lol

Edit: OK, I just researched this: "Due to legal issues surrounding Equal Employment Opportunities and related laws, one should be careful in the interview process. It is generally illegal to ask which type of discharge a military veteran received, unless it is to ask whether or not an applicant received an Honorable or General Discharge if you are ascertaining whether or not the applicant qualifies for veteran’s preference." I did not know this.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 07-06-2017 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues