Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:00 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I am going to assume this was ADD/ADHD/Learning disability.
You did well enough on the ASVAB that the recruiter thought it was easier to hide it.
Good luck getting in, the paperwork burden on you will be intense to get this cleared. But, people are able to do it, so good luck!
Based on the lack of paragraphs, I'm guessing OP talks in his sleep or is a bedwetter (running on and on and on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Just get the paperwork you were asked to get, turn it in, and wait for the results. You're fine. I don't know exactly what this is involving, and it might be easier to answer if we did know, but I guess you're not comfortable revealing it here, and that's certainly your right.

Don't worry about getting your recruiter in trouble, he's a big boy and he can take his own lumps. Recruiters lie A LOT, and so him telling you to lie was just business as usual for them, and I'm sure their higher ups are aware of this. It's not your problem.

Good for you for wanting to serve your country, and good luck with your enlistment.
My recruiter didn't lie. My recruiter just painted a really nice picture and left out most of the BS. The problem with newly enlisted is they don't know what to ask. I rarely met anyone who used enough common sense to understand that everything you are taught and learn is in an effort to kill someone. That training is so you can learn the basics of the military and your job so you can go to work and not get someone killed the first day. Last, that the military is what it is. It doesn't get easier, if you work harder at it, you get better at doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Thank you. The truth is hard for some to swallow. It's a hard task on recruiting duty.
I bet. The transition of going from dealing with people on a daily basis in such a firm, easily understood method, to working with a bunch of kids would be enough to drive me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:27 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
My brother's car insurance agent once told him to lie about his marital status because according to her, being married will get him some discount (I never knew this until then) My brother did not follow that advice because he knew better.

During the application process, an insurance company isn’t going to send a spy to verify where you actually keep and use your car, they aren’t going to hide in the bushes to see who takes your car out for a spin, and you don’t submit a marriage license with a policy purchase. But if you get into a crash, or you need to make a claim for vandalism or weather-related damage, or even if you use your insurer’s roadside assistance, lies like these can be easily uncovered.

So same rule applies here. Military will probably never bother to check, and you will probably be okay for the rest of your life, but why bother lying about small stuff like past marijuana use or a childhood illness? Especially now the rules are so much more relaxed, it is so much easier to get in now, past drug use and certain illness are no longer the instant disqualification.

If you (like OP) wanted to work for the government in the future, being honest would be even more important. His information (according to him) is easily found out just simply by googling him, this is op's exact words 'Right and no its not drugs or being arrested or anything like. Its dealing with education status and sadly any moron can find this paperwork and their is a lot of it medical and what the school is dealing with. " so he obviously made a wise choice of being honest when he went to MEPS. In my opinion, what he should have done is some recruiter shopping before putting anything on paper. I can see why the "inconsistency" being the potential problem.

It looks like he found a lazy recruiter who did not bother to or did not want to work a tiny bit harder to get him a waiver.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-20-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 11:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
In the Army or Marines you typically go on recruiting duty as mid-career NCO. It's a career killing duty that is completely outside of your MOS. Most often for 3 years. In it's unimaginable stupidity, the Army will take guys from Alabama and put them on recruiting duty in NYC, or vice versa.

The people who walk into your office aren't the ones that the AF or Navy puts in. There are many non-stellar opportunities. And the Army, by sheer volume of need, is even more hard pressed than the Marines to put folks in. So, recruiters cut corners. Their station commanders are under just as much stress. They cut corners as well. You take someone out of their normal job, for which the vast majority excelled, and tell them to do something totally different. And, oh yeah, you don't meet quota, your career is toast.

Do they lie? Yep. Do I blame them? Nope.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
It is not about blaming, it is about discussing op's particular scenario.

Op did not follow the recruiter's advice and he has not been consistent. I don't blame the op either, he saw the questions and felt he should have said yes, but recruiter said "just say no and be done with it" Of course op is going to have question marks in his head. He wants to work for the government in the future; He decided to be honest when he went to MEPS.

If I were him, I'd figure out if it is worth it to follow recruiter's advice. Again: case-by-case approach. If I feel it is not worth it, then I would find another recruiter who is willing to work with me. (getting a waiver is not hard work for a recruiter or is it? after all, a civilian is not responsible for saving a recruiter's career, his only responsibility is his own action ) Do some recruiter shopping before signing anything or putting anything on paper. It will save a lot of people a lot of unnecessary headache.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-20-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 12:40 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Yes, you do need to have spent time in uniform to know reality. You're going on and on about something that happens every single day, in a world you have no firsthand knowledge.

I know a neurosurgeon. Doesn't equip me to speak about brain surgery.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres34578 View Post
Okay, so I need some advice. So I'm trying to go into USMC and I have been talking with this recruiter for a few months now. Nice guy and not pushy. Anyways I called him a few weeks ago telling him I am interested. So we met a few days later and met his shadow that will be taking his place and filled out all the medical paperwork. I got to certain sections and told him I have to say "yes" to these questions and I knew how important they were. He told me not to worry about it and say "no". Same with another section. So a few days later I went to MEPS but before we went we had to fill more paperwork out. Then I met his boss; Sub-station commander. So I was told to go into his office and asked me if I was lying about any paperwork and that is there anything I didn't disclose with my recruiter or if I have done drugs. I have been 100% honest with my paperwork. I told him "no" because I did disclose everything with him if asked. Station commander looked at my medical paperwork and said word-for-word: " You stick to the script. They are looking for consistency". So I left his office and my recruiter took me to up to the hotel. Went to MEPS the next morning and everything was normal until medical debriefing. When we started to fill out similar questions with the recruiter I started saying 'yes' on some of the questions. Talked to a bunch of people about it and asked why does it say "no" if clearly should have been "yes". Telling them what I told the recruiter and what he told me.(yes pretty much threw him and his boss underneath the bus). I was honest at MEPS. So I handed all of my medical and education records that he said to not worry about to the recruiter. So its been about 2 weeks now and have been too scared to talk to him. Texted him asking if he got the paperwork and he said he did (at this point I knew a commander came in and talk to the two and now I know he is pissed). So now I have to play stupid as if nothing happened at MEPS but clearly they know I said something at MEPS. So what should I do: should I call him and polk the bear? Should I just wait for him to contact me? Or just give up and wait for a couple of years? (if I do that then I would have to get all medical records I gave to them). My friend says I might be in danger for being honest. Am I? I didn't want to throw anybody the bus just want the correct paperwork to be done because it would take a google search to find all that medical stuff on me and I would like to work in government, What do I do? Am I in danger like my friend said? and was it a mistake for being honest at MEPS?

First of as a retired 1SG US Army I will tell you that I don't care what anyone in here says. You did the right thing. If there are medical records that can prove you had a condition or were treated for a condition you didn't list is grounds for an immediate discharge and loss of all privileges. You could be prosecuted and I don't care what m1a1mg said, it is a crime. Honesty is always the right answer. However if you suspected something unproved you need not mention it. You are under no obligation to diagnose yourself.

Good luck in your quest to join the Marine Corps.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension is your friend. I didn’t say it wasn’t a crime. I said it happens every dang day. Multiple times a day. And yes, I’m all in favor of honesty and integrity. But I also understand reality.

Although I have no idea what you being a 1SG has to do with any of this.
Duty.
Honor.
Integrity.
Loyalty.
Personal Courage.
Respect.
Selfless Service.

To make and thrive as a 1SG you had better be an example of all of those. To help people understand what a 1SG is. It is First Sergeant. He/she is the senior NCO in a company level unit. That can be anywhere from 60 to 250 soldiers. He/she is responsible for their actions as well as his own.

I just wanted to make sure that people know where I come from.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Wow, I’m impressed.

Try this:
Loyalty
Duty
Respect
Honor
Integrity
Selfless Service.

Maybe the folks who don’t know better will be impressed. Me? Not so much.

In your career, you ever bend the rules to take care of a good troop? I sure did. As a Division level SGM, I went to the wall for many folks. I’d do it again.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Recruiters tell folks to lie every day. Mine did, my kids did, and most of the recruiters I know lied.
Yup. No one would be going in if they didn't lie back in the day.
That's assuming I understood correctly that the OP lied about having done drugs.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:57 PM

15 posts, read 61,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Yup. No one would be going in if they didn't lie back in the day.
That's assuming I understood correctly that the OP lied about having done drugs.
nope not drugs nor getting arrested or anything such as that. Have been squeaky clean about it. It was a matter that had a lot of medical and education background behind it. Rather not getting into it. But this was a bigger deal and sadly anybody can get this paperwork no problem and told him all about it. It was within the past 5 years so yeah. But I personally think it was a misunderstanding altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues