Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

It is a sad thing when stuff like this doesn't shock me. It is sad when I as a Black man expect to be viewed as a threat and treated as such. It is sad when I hear about this to happen and think "same as it ever was, nothing will change". What happened in Falcon Heights has happened all over the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 02:06 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
I feel bad for that child. She had to witness that. Thats probably going to haunt her for the rest of her life. They need to start checking the mental state of these officers. A lot of them have seen a lot and been threw a lot and they just don't know how to properly respond. Also it's a know fact that black men are viewed as dangerous. So the officers go in with high expectation that the black person will do something so there defense is already up.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I feel bad for that child. She had to witness that. Thats probably going to haunt her for the rest of her life. They need to start checking the mental state of these officers. A lot of them have seen a lot and been threw a lot and they just don't know how to properly respond. Also it's a know fact that black men are viewed as dangerous. So the officers go in with high expectation that the black person will do something so there defense is already up.

not to mention the driver who was murdered by the cop

Old 07-07-2016, 02:39 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
This was in the northern part of Mpls - and in case you're not familiar - this is crime central here. There are few nights that a shooting and/or murder doesn't occur there. The crime rate is exploding in this city by gangstas moving in from other prime crime areas (Chicago, Gary, IN, etc...) I guess it's getting too hot there so we may as well mosey on over to Mpls.

So, the problem starts with this bad behavior which establishes a really bad reputation and when you establish a bad reputation for yourself you are treated accordingly. If you want to be angry then be angry at all these criminals. Sometimes innocent people pay for the crimes of others - sometimes these people aren't innocent at all.

I keep getting the impression that groups like BLM want to shove these facts under the rug - don't talk about that.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:51 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This was in the northern part of Mpls - and in case you're not familiar - this is crime central here. There are few nights that a shooting and/or murder doesn't occur there. The crime rate is exploding in this city by gangstas moving in from other prime crime areas (Chicago, Gary, IN, etc...) I guess it's getting too hot there so we may as well mosey on over to Mpls.

So, the problem starts with this bad behavior which establishes a really bad reputation and when you establish a bad reputation for yourself you are treated accordingly. If you want to be angry then be angry at all these criminals. Sometimes innocent people pay for the crimes of others - sometimes these people aren't innocent at all.

I keep getting the impression that groups like BLM want to shove these facts under the rug - don't talk about that.
That has nothing to do with anything. Was THIS MAN a criminal and did he threaten the cop so that the cop used deadly force. Otherwise if you're saying the man is black, and you claim that the 'gangstas' caused it, then please post why you think this cop thought this man was a gangsta. I'll wait.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
That has nothing to do with anything. Was THIS MAN a criminal and did he threaten the cop so that the cop used deadly force. Otherwise if you're saying the man is black, and you claim that the 'gangstas' caused it, then please post why you think this cop thought this man was a gangsta. I'll wait.
I almost let you wait - if you are in a high crime area, you are naturally suspect. When that area in known for gun violence you are suspect. Stop all this criminal activity and everyone will live happily ever after. Continue and it will only get worse. I believe this is just old fashioned common sense. Tired of all the excuses.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:05 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
I almost let you wait - if you are in a high crime area, you are naturally suspect. When that area in known for gun violence you are suspect. Stop all this criminal activity and everyone will live happily ever after. Continue and it will only get worse. I believe this is just old fashioned common sense. Tired of all the excuses.
So if I am driving through Falcon Heights, I am a suspect?
Tired of all the excuses is exactly right.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:23 PM

150 posts, read 143,800 times
Quote:
This was in the northern part of Mpls - and in case you're not familiar -....
Actually this incident happened in Saint Paul ..... right on the border with Roseville .... on Larpenteur ave & Fry St. Crime is pretty normal in this area. UM's extension campus is right around the area and so is the State Fair complex.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:36 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
This isn't an excuse. This is about what happened to THIS MAN. Again, what dod this man do? Forget about the criminals. What did that individual do to deserve getting murdered? You don't tell someone who is not a criminal to "stop being a criminal".

And this happened in a St. Paul suburb, Falcon Heights, not North Mpls.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This isn't an excuse. This is about what happened to THIS MAN. Again, what dod this man do? Forget about the criminals. What did that individual do to deserve getting murdered? You don't tell someone who is not a criminal to "stop being a criminal".

And this happened in a St. Paul suburb, Fa.lcon Heights, not North Mpls.
I'm going to guess here that he was told to put his hands on the steering wheel - he then said Oh but I have a permit to carry <any bets counterfeiting CCPs are the latest criminal activity?>. Cop says to put your hands on the steering wheel - guy goes to grab ????? - could be his permit or it could be the gun. Let's say he actually had a legitimate permit. Anyone that would be given one of these would have to be smart enough to know that when you are told to put your hands on the steering wheel, you do it. I don't care if you have a note from God. He reached and was shot. I have no doubt that if that was me the same thing would happen. The police can't afford to second guess these situations. And~~the same rules apply to blacks -like it or not.

St Paul is no Disney Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul