Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM

17 posts, read 64,516 times

Advertisements

Actually-MNs believe that you have to have constant snow on the ground to count winter as a season. Me... I like to get some snow- in fact it's snowing right now, everything is covered - but hopefully it will be gone in a day or so!

But then I feel you have to have consistant hot days to have summer, and not require a heater on your pool. When you have a hot day many would joke - "did you enjoy your summer yesterday".

And the cloudy days-not a rarity, went on a trip to NY with friends from MN in Nov and they were sooooo excited to see the sun, hadn't been out in weeks there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,366 times
Actually, I'll grant you that point about constant snow on the ground equals winter, because I hold that belief myself! Why are so many in the US put off by snow Snow can be a lot of fun! Instead everyone wants to move to a sunbelt location. It strikes me as much less reasonable or ethical to want to live in a huge population center that is draining their aquifers dry and stealing water from less populated areas so they can produce greenery where God never meant it to be But maybe that it a discussion for another thread sometime!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:16 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,611 times
I'll rank my top five and provide an explanation why I think the way I do...

1. Vermont-- It may be cold, and obsessed with maple syrup, but the healthcare and educational services ARE unbeatable... I'd even go so far to say they rival Canada's... With the second lowest population in the country, traffic ought to be a breeze.

2. Iowa-- There may be a LOT of corn and soybeans, but there is SO much more to this state... I debated whether to name it first, but decided VT earned the spot.... If you put that you grew up in Iowa on your resume, that means something to a lot of employers, Iowans hard work ethic and stellar education and health care system are admired by surrounding states, and is the home of the ITBS, ITED, Iowa tests, you know... The population is relatively low, with about 3 million, focused mainly between I-80 and US20, the population density is low, and so is the traffic, even in DES MOINES.

3. Minnesota-- Another state with midwestern charm and ideals, this state has it all. It has something Iowa doesn't have-- a huge metropolitan area that is highly regarded as one of the best in the country... The parks in Minneapolis, Ithasca State Park, The Lakes, The Campgrounds, Winona is one of my favorite cities in the country. The geography is stellar, hills, bluffs, lakes, even a mountain or two in the BWCA... Health care and education are very highly regarded as well, with the highest SAT average coming from the state.

4. TIE, New Hampshire/Maine-- All of the states so far have had cold weather... and these two aren't any different. New Hampshire's even mix of cultures and natural beauty ranks it highly in my book. The education and health care are exceptional, just as Vermont, Maine, Iowa, and Minnesota's is... These northern states know how to do it, traffic is very low, with the exception of possibly Manchester at times, the state has a population of nearly 1.1 mil.

4. Maine-- The state of Maine, the first state in the country to see the sunrise... The state where rocky beaches and lighthouses are in high abundance. Maineites highly regard their education and health care and when visiting, the locals were incredibly friendly, with a population of just over a million, and one of the most scenic states in the country, the state is almost perfect.

5. I'll pick the best WARM weather state-- North Carolina, although it has a high hurricane vulnerability, the natural beauty of the state shines. From the mountains to the beach... and everywhere in between, it is just beautiful... Crime is a bit lower than in surrounding states (Va, Ga, Sc, Tn) and it isn't as "hickish" forgive me for not using a real word, as other states that are near, TENNESSEE in particular. The state has the best health care and education system in the south and has moderate traffic...

Otherwise, I'd rank NC about #8, maybe 10. 5th I would give to the state of Oregon. One of the most beautiful states in the country, the state is home to beautiful Pacific Beaches, Mt. Hood, the Columbia River Valley, it is gorgeous. It's earthquake risk is also signifcantly lower than the rest of the Pacific Rim states. I know that the education has a bit to be desired, and has a brilliant health care system from what I have seen, heard, and read. Portland is a great city, a gem of the northwest, and a basic picture of what the northwestern United States ultimately is... Some may disagree that it is Seattle, but not in my mind... Oregon is a great state and I debated whether to give it number 4.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM

83 posts, read 266,220 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
I'll rank my top five and provide an explanation why I think the way I do...

1. Vermont-- It may be cold, and obsessed with maple syrup, but the healthcare and educational services ARE unbeatable... I'd even go so far to say they rival Canada's... With the second lowest population in the country, traffic ought to be a breeze.

I guess I'd have to have someone explain to me, a resident of Vermont myself, where they get the statistics that show Vermont having an "unbeatable" healthcare system and even more laughable...an unbeatable educational system. The Cobra plan here is a complete folly.
My wife started a new job that is subsidized by the state directly. Her insurance through the employer stinks, and is expensive to boot. (Nothing new in the US...)

Our healthcare costs are through the roof, just went up again. The schooling is so great, we homeschooled both our children until last year. Now that one is in tech. school in Ct. for his interest, he's fine. Our daughter struggles with the peer pressure in the public school system, and we see the difference in just one half of a school year in her. She shares all the experiences that she feels every day, and it's not what every parent would wish for unfortunately.
There's a real lack of detail in the school system nowadays, again, it's nationwide. Not just Vt.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 PM

310 posts, read 1,197,102 times
Have you been to Sheldon VT? EW

Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 AM

49 posts, read 100,231 times
Unfortunately, only you can really answer that question. Every place has its quirks; the trick is matching your personality to the culture where you want to live.

For my part, allow me to offer up some positive and negative elements of Minnesota, particularly the Minneapolis / St. Paul metro area:

PRO:

1. Great Outdoor Activities

If you love the outdoors, you'll love the state. Fishing, hunting, hell, just plain orienteering is available to you everywhere.

2. Biking and Hiking Heaven

My family and I are avid bikers, and we've barely scratched the surface of the trails available to us.

3. Healthy Economy

There's work to be had, and plenty of it. Wages may not be what you expect from out east, but neither is the cost of living.

5. Thriving Theater Community

It's often said that there are more theaters in Minneapolis than in NYC. Though I can't speak to the veracity of that claim, I can say that you can see a different show nearly every weekend.

Sturgeon's Law does apply, of course.

6. Northwest Airlines Hub

You have a direct link to a heck of a lot of places from here. That's nice for the avid traveler.

7. Good Universities

Nearly every kind of school you may want to attend is available to you here, should you choose to further your education.

CON:

1. Harsh Winters

Many people have no idea how batty they might feel after not seeing the sun for a few days in a row, while also being stuck indoors because of the cold. That's a challenge that should not be underestimated.

Many cope by taking up winter sports. (I took up cross-country skiing; it keeps me centered during the long, gray days.) Others have their "winter hobbies" that they do indoors. Regardless, it's a shift in your way of life, when the hard winter comes.

Also, it's important to note that, for all intents and purposes, you'll have two sets of wardrobe to maintain. Expect to pack away winter gear in the spring and unpack your summer clothing, and then do the reverse every single year.

2. Stoic, Aloof People

There's an old joke: "Minnesotans are great at giving directions, just not to their house."

Sadly, the joke is often quite true.

Minnesotans are courteous and polite. Unfortunately, they are often difficult to connect to on a personal level. Not always, of course, but often enough to make building new friendships a bigger challenge than many expected.

For many, the positives outweigh the negatives. If you're into outdoor activities, would like to try out winter sports, and enjoy seeing a place that really has all four seasons, Minnesota might just be for you.

If, however, long winters and stoic personalities don't sound appealing, it may not be a good fit. It's up to you to decide what is most important.

If you're interested in the state, here is what I'd recommend: Visit twice. Once during the summer, and once in late January and early February. Meet locals, chat, look around, and see what you think of the place. If you feel a connection, by all means act on it.

I wish you luck in your search,

Avindair

Last edited by Avindair; 01-29-2008 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 PM

88 posts, read 335,640 times
Minnesota is a great place to live and I love it. I need the services because my kids have disabilities and they offer alot here. But I am wondering how the other states are for special services. I am a single parent and I know we struggle here with cost of living. I know CA is outrageous and their are a few other states that are higher cost of living. I'm in turmoil I do and dont wanna stay here. I am sorry if I am talking in circles. My kids would like a change to.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 AM

12 posts, read 39,652 times
If you have kids or planning to have kids in the near future I will definetly suggest MN. I have a 3 y.o. daughter and I feel comfortable going out with her to the park and not have to worry about whom is around and there are tons of kids her age. I live in the West burbs and it is an area that has alot of young families...

Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,614 times
you should live in eagan, Minnesota it is so safe its a suburb, and you should live in stonecliff , which is right off of Cliff road! so yeah i hope i helped......(eagan's colors are blue and green!) hope i helped bye!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,564,540 times
You helped in digging up a three month old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota