Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:09 AM

394 posts, read 1,519,235 times

Advertisements

F the East coast. If you like being packed around thousands of people per square mile, move to the east coast. I hate the east coast. It smells like crap. Who cares about history. I went to Philly and couldnt have been more drained. Big deal, its all dirty on the east coast. ISH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:22 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
F the East coast. If you like being packed around thousands of people per square mile, move to the east coast. I hate the east coast. It smells like crap. Who cares about history. I went to Philly and couldnt have been more drained. Big deal, its all dirty on the east coast. ISH.
You can also drive a little over and hour into the interior of the Northeast and be in nearly complete seculusion in the Berkshires or southern Green Mountiains that have less than 75 people per square mile.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 PM

394 posts, read 1,519,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
You can also drive a little over and hour into the interior of the Northeast and be in nearly complete seculusion in the Berkshires or southern Green Mountiains that have less than 75 people per square mile.
Very true.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
One would think that the originator hadn't moved already. Three months is no time on the scale of relocation.

Here I'd like to add my two cents worth: I

Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
Just kidding... As some one that has lived among the East Coasters and Midwesterners, I have some experience here.

I'm originally from Pittsburgh. I had considered THAT to be the greatest City on the Planet, while I lived there. Really the city has everything, including great suburbs. As a young adult I lived on Mt Washington and enjoyed the city view 24/7. I worked in town and loved being very close by. I hardly left the city.

Then my job was eliminated where I worked. Five years of hard labor down the drain - except I had the option of transferring. Two moves later I was in Wisconsin. Yet another great place, people wise. Like Pittsburgh the people in Milwaukee were Friendly and helpful. The two cities were very similar in size and shared a similar personality - blends of Midwest and East Coast for Pittsburgh and Very Midwest in Milwuakee. It was very easy to fit in to the neighborhoods in Milwaukee and it's suburbs. I have always missed Pittsburgh though. The neighborhoods each had differing personalities that made each one different from the others yet they all had that common Pittsburgh bonds. You just don't get that anywhere else. Not anywhere on the East Coast - as East Coast is so High Strung. Most there enjoy that though.

Minnesota is another world all together. I'm living in an area that is very rural, yet am working in the IT industry that I did in the city. My doors are never locked, keys are in the car. No worry about the kids playing out side, that anyone would cause them any harm. Outwardly these people are friendly. They do take some time before they open up to new folks, but then time is what we have out here. This State is HUGE and offers the best of City life in the Twin Cities area and also the best of rural living about anywhere else. The out doors play is first class here. The small towns and cities around the state are all so very quaint. It's easy to find peace here. I did wittness that Grand Escape from the north country on Monday (Labor Day) seeing Car after car pulling boat after boat after camper after camper after ATV... on and on it went on all day. There are so many folks that come out here to get away from the Rat Race during the summer months. There are resorts everywhere. The winter here is special too. No one plays out side like these folks. I imagine that someday I may return to Pittsburgh, if anywhere, but am content for now and likely for ever. I just don't mind seeing Deer all winter long and all sorts of nature, or listening to Loons on quiet lakes. Lakes, did I forget that there are a gazillion lakes here. They are everywhere. Comlete with Bald Eagles flying over head. Truely magnificent.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM

17 posts, read 54,414 times
Default best

so I've been all over and I have never seen such a low crime rate as ive seen in MN, and yeah I'm not a winter person, but I love the place, there are some towns there that seem as if they were strait out of a fairy tale, no kidding, my first trips there I will always remember, neighbors all coming over to have hot coco, everybody in the town knows you on a at least first name basis, and plus your only 20 mins away from the minn.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,327 times
I'd agree. I've lived in several states and Minnesota is perhaps the overall best state. People seem down to earth (it depends on where you are) and has just about everything going for it except weather. The Twin Cities has had a surge in crime though (after being one of the least crime ridden cities for years). You may consider St Cloud or Western Wisconsin (Eau Claire, Menomonie) which are clean university towns, have low crime, and are close enough to the Twin Cities. I also like the Seattle area (again, if it wasn't the weather). But you can keep Texas (Austin is the exception), Oklahoma, and just about any of the other South Central or Southeastern states. Not impressed. Just a little too gun-toting, NASCAR lovin', Skoal chewin' for me. But if yur'all R inta that, Waco's callin'!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 PM

68 posts, read 276,972 times
I'm from near Pittsburgh PA and have lived in a few other states including 11 years here in MN.

Hand down Pennsylvania and it's people are the BEST. There is no doubt its the greatest. People in Western PA are so down to earth and real. MN doesn't even come close..........

Come on housing market.........please recover so we can get out of MN and back to PA to show are kids how awesome it is.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:05 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
Have you been to Sheldon VT? EW
So one city makes up for an entire state? That's what you're saying right?

Ever been to... Gary Indiana? So that means Indiana is a horrible state?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:07 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
Minnesota most definitley has four distinct seasons.

Spring: March April May
Summer: June July August
Fall: September October November
Winter: December January February
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota