Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Growing up in the city, New Yorkers in Minnesota, passive aggressive attitude, native mid westerner’s point of view, open minded Minnesotans, Minneapolis neighborhoods, suburbs

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:35 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times

Advertisements

I actually find the original post a bit humorous. There are a gadzillion posts bad-mouthing unfriendly Minnesotans, and this poor New Yorker is complaining we are too nice!

I've had several friends over the years from NYC; they seem to get creeped out when people smile or talk to them in public. If you are stuck here because of love or money (a job), you will eventually get used to it. Just smile and nod back. Or at least start with the nod.

And how DO you fix the celery root? I'm genuinely interested; I've seen it before but never bought it since I don't know what to do with it!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 AM

208 posts, read 605,009 times
New Yorkers just like to complain. When I lived in Florida, they would compare everything to New York. Just read some of the posts done by ex-Ny'ers in the Florida fourm: whine whine whine! lol

Old 07-12-2008, 06:17 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
I lived in St. Paul and NYC and it was MUCH easier to make friends in the latter than the former.Midwesterns are polite but usually semi-comotose.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 PM

370 posts, read 902,852 times
I lived in SoFla for a while too and I agree. I learned that the folks that stay in New York are typically a lot nicer than the ones that migrated south.
That said, the OP has some points (valid to them) that tell me it'll be a long time before they fit in, and it may be never. I 'm probably not a good fit either, but just have to suck it up for the time that I have here. Maybe in 5 years or so I'll find a way to feel comfortable here. Who knows. BTW, how many of you people posting are ex-pat New Yorkers?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM

62 posts, read 290,216 times
"4. I’m not “disparaging” Minnesotans. They seem to be very comfortable with one another. It’s actually fun and comical to see them interact. It’s like watching Japanese Kabuki. It would take a whole bottle of chloroform to make me “blend in”."

This killed me! Haha! I do agree with SOME of what the poster is saying - but it sounds like Minnesota's just not the right place for them!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:01 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
Its an apples to lawnmowers comparison anyway. NY is like 20 million people in the entire metro area if you include Long Island (which isnt NY anyway but thats another story ).

The passive agressiveness of the state can be overwhelming. Odds are you're just not hanging out with the right people. Most out of towners assume I havent lived here my whole life because I'm pretty blunt. Most of my friends are blunt as well, and we generally just encounter the passive side at work and what not. The guy who lives downstairs from me grew up in Queens as well. He is pretty straight laced, and seems to get along fine.

But yeah, if Minneapolis isnt your thing you should probably move. There will always be that slightly fake side, although you experience less of it the closer to the actual city you live.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM

214 posts, read 691,547 times
Minnesota native here. I agree with the OP, especially the passive-aggressive part.

OP, if you decide to go back to Queens OK if I hitch a ride wit'ya?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM

36 posts, read 105,797 times
Default To the OP

Instead of fighting the culture, try and embrace it - even if only in jest initially. Out Minnesota the natives. Out nice, out small talk, use the same accent, dress conservatively, act modest, dress conservatively and, above all, be polite.

Try on the cloak of a midwesterner, you can always return it.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 PM

12 posts, read 33,418 times
I grew up in a small town in Minnesota, you haven't lived until you've felt the full wrath of a a place that knows everything about you and your business, there's no Minnesota nice there, at least under the surface. Moved to Calif. where they say all the fruits and nuts live but no one knows anyone and everyone smiles, and talks anyway.

I'd have to say most places have good points and bad, you just have to focus on what makes you feel good, and leave the rest behind.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:03 AM

62 posts, read 173,064 times
Ditto! These folks here are a trip. I've been here five years...it doesn't change. I'm up outta here within the next year. I went on vacation a month ago and it was so refreshing to have people smile and speak and strike up a conversation instead of having that stoic, fake, "I'll talk to you if you go to happy hour EVERY chance we get" look on their faces. When I leave, I'll miss the Twin Cities, but not the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota