Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:48 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I don't think those traits could be separated. If we start getting in each others faces, yelling, and wanting to fight every time we are pissed off, we might not be so nice when it comes to people crossing the street, not honking at lights, four way stops, offering jump starts, clearing snow from each others driveways, etc.
I didn't say you should get in each others' faces, that would be annoying, just don't be fake. If someone pisses you off you could say, "you know that really bothered me," rather than just being passive/ passive aggressive about it and then venting about the person after they're gone. That's even more annoying than getting in someone's face.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
If someone pisses you off you could say, "you know that really bothered me," rather than just being passive/ passive aggressive about it and then venting about the person after they're gone.
Sounds like one of the things that gets East Coast/NY/NJ people classified/stereotyped as rude in my opinion.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
I didn't say you should get in each others' faces, that would be annoying, just don't be fake. If someone pisses you off you could say, "you know that really bothered me," rather than just being passive/ passive aggressive about it and then venting about the person after they're gone. That's even more annoying than getting in someone's face.
Not to me, it isn't. But I'm a Minnesotan at heart.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Not to me, it isn't. But I'm a Minnesotan at heart.
Okay, but don't say Minnesotans aren't fake.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Quote:
Okay, but don't say Minnesotans aren't fake.
Okay, but don't say East Coasters aren't rude.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Okay, but don't say East Coasters aren't rude.
Never did, but the whole premise of this thread was that they're not fake. Anyway, I think Minnesota and East coast are two opposite ends of a spectrum, I prefer a happy medium, not too in your face and rude, but also willing to say what's on your mind, and not be fake.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Never did, but the whole premise of this thread was that they're not fake. Anyway, I think Minnesota and East coast are two opposite ends of a spectrum, I prefer a happy medium, not too in your face and rude, but also willing to say what's on your mind, and not be fake.
very well written post and you bring up good points

Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
^sheesh...get a load that guy would ja

Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
One of the most misused terms in these threads is passive aggressive. Passive aggression is a personality disorder characterized by the DSM as

A pervasive pattern of negativistic attitudes and passive resistance to demands for adequate performance, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
passively resists fulfilling routine social and occupational tasks
complains of being misunderstood and unappreciated by others
is sullen and argumentative
unreasonably criticizes and scorns authority
expresses envy and resentment toward those apparently more fortunate
voices exaggerated and persistent complaints of personal misfortune
alternates between hostile defiance and contrition

It has absolutely nothing to do with the reserved personalities of those of us who are often accused here of being "fake" simply for trying to be polite to strangers.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
One of the most misused terms in these threads is passive aggressive. Passive aggression is a personality disorder characterized by the DSM as

A pervasive pattern of negativistic attitudes and passive resistance to demands for adequate performance, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
passively resists fulfilling routine social and occupational tasks
complains of being misunderstood and unappreciated by others
is sullen and argumentative
unreasonably criticizes and scorns authority
expresses envy and resentment toward those apparently more fortunate
voices exaggerated and persistent complaints of personal misfortune
alternates between hostile defiance and contrition

It has absolutely nothing to do with the reserved personalities of those of us who are often accused here of being "fake" simply for trying to be polite to strangers.
There's a difference between passive aggressiveness, and passive aggressive personality disorder. Passive aggressiveness is a way of interacting with people where instead of confronting someone directly, one makes subtle indirect negative remarks that are not related to why the person is actually upset, and denies that anything is actually wrong. That is very different from PAPD, which is a psychological disorder that describes people with extreme and pervasive passive aggressive tendencies to the point that it's almost anti-social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota