Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 04:17 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,013,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor77 View Post
Surely if Georgia could remove the stars and bars from their flag without a huge hassle Mississippi can and should. Georgia's new flag (their second attempt after a terrible first attempt) is a very nice flag and surely Mississippi can find something similar. Besides Georgia's justification was that the change promoted the state from a business point of view and that is never a bad thing.
Georgia's flag is still a Confederate flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:54 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,251,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Georgia's flag is still a Confederate flag.
Sort of. It's basically the original "Stars and Bars" with the state seal added in the middle of the stars. But it isn't exactly like the Confederate Flag.

Georgia State Flag:

"Stars and Bars", original flag of the CSA:

Which reinforces my stance. The Battle Flag isn't being protested because of its limited association with slavery, it's being protested over its use during Jim Crow. Every time African Americans tried to assert that "All men are created equal", racists clutching that flag did everything they could to prove otherwise. And yes, they also clutched the US flag, but it's the Battle Flag that became the symbol of oppression.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM

So if MS's flag is put to a referendum vote in a few months, how do you think it'll go?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,444,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
So if MS's flag is put to a referendum vote in a few months, how do you think it'll go?
The flag change would fail, because more than 50% of the people in this state are resistant to change, and believe the "heritage not hate" tripe.

That being said, I believe that if slavery was put to a referendum on this state, at least 40% would choose to bring it back. This is why not everything should be left to referendums. Some things need to be addressed by leaders with vision, on behalf of the citizens.

It's the difference between a republic and a democracy.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 PM

799 posts, read 1,067,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The flag change would fail, because more than 50% of the people in this state are resistant to change, and believe the "heritage not hate" tripe.

That being said, I believe that if slavery was put to a referendum on this state, at least 40% would choose to bring it back. This is why not everything should be left to referendums. Some things need to be addressed by leaders with vision, on behalf of the citizens.

It's the difference between a republic and a democracy.
^ what he said.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,966 times
I am with Harvey. They should forget about this and raise back the flags and arrest anybody who was part of anti-religious burnings.

I believe the heritage as well.

Those other people, apparently are mis-informed creeps. Not Harvey.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
I am with Harvey. They should forget about this and raise back the flags and arrest anybody who was part of anti-religious burnings.

I believe the heritage as well.

Those other people, apparently are mis-informed creeps. Not Harvey.
When I was in Oxford last year I saw him. I didn't realize how big of a figure in Oxford he was, now that I'm looking back on it, it feels weird. He died for nebulous reasons because he was an outlier with public opinion.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 AM

I just hope it doesn't escalate to violence, in a broader sense.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Hervey's funeral yesterday.

» “Black Confederate” Anthony Hervey Funeral Procession Draws Hundreds in Oxford, Mississippi

Old 08-04-2015, 05:08 PM

799 posts, read 1,067,008 times
Yazoo City voted not to fly the state flag on public buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi