Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinTN View Post
Greenville wasn't such a bad place to grow up. Back in the day, I could play in my neighborhood park, ride my bike anywhere (south of Hwy 82,) play baseball 'til dark, spend the weekend at the lake on the family boat, etc.
I agree with you. Once upon a time, Greenville was an ideal town to live in. As a child, my friends and I would ride our bikes all over town, head to the park on Fairview, and basically play outside until the wee hours of the morning. We didn't worry about being mugged, shot, stabbed, raped, or anything of the sort. Of course that was back in the '70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,465 times
People, I have read many things about greenville mississippi on the internet being a hole in the road. What many people do not remember is this is not the first time the town has gown down and through hard times. From 1973 -1980 the town went through many hard times as it has been going through for the last 5 years. Then from 1981-89 it Boomed!! It will make a come back some day in the future. What goes around will come back around.
I Was born there and yes i left there and have returned there on and off for years. Like 28 years. My family is still there. And yes i read many your stories about skateing rinks ect. My grandfather built the first skateing rink there in the 1950's when greenville had the air base. [mod] edit [/mod]later All .
Dade

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-22-2008 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: NO advertising

Old 07-26-2008, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,419 times
Default Those were the days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene430 View Post
Well let me try.....I moved from Greenville when i was 14, around 1978. I remember swimming in Lake Ferguson, fireworks down my the levee, cruising around Sonic and playing with friends. Grew up on Rose Street and our parents had to beat us to come in and go to bed.....I really have the best memories. Then we moved to Monroe, LA. I went back a few years later 83/84 and it was a completely different town. Alot of drugs, I mean alot. I don't know if a gang took over or what. Fast forward a few more years to early nineties and I went back again. Depression, stores boarded up, couldn't believe it. I haven't been back since 1998, but, I for one can tell you that back in the 70's, I have great memories of the place but it's true, I know that the town has gone through a transormation for some reason.

I will hold on to my memories.
I too have alot of memories of Greenville. I was raised there from 1966 and did not move away until 1994. My oldest son was born at Kings Daughters hospital. Both of my parents died in that town and are buried in Greenville cemetery. I still have friends there and we still communicate. I feel that Greenville has changed for the worse. When I was there for the final settlement of my mother's estate in 2006, I was in shock. Thank God Shipley's is still there and they still have the best donuts there are anywhere. I can remember as a teenager driving the strip (go doen Main street, over the levee, up central, onto broadway, then back to main street towards the highway, down the highway to Sonic and make the loop and strat all over again. I remember parking in fron of Home Appliance and sitting and talking for hours. And the guys playing football at the school "whitehouse". Not to mention going to Hardy park. Oh and let'snot forget driving thru the barn to get a "slush". God, those are some memories. Good ones at that. Maybe one day it can be that way again. THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,352 times
Unhappy Don"t go there!

I was born and raised in Greenville, MS. When I was younger it was such a wonderful place to live and raise a family. We lived on Washington Avenue when I was really young, and had a house boat at the yacht club. THen we moved to Lake Ferguson Road. Both of these neighborhoods were so great, THEN. I have since moved to Colorado and come back to visit family about once a year. There's only 2 members of my family who actually still choose to live there and that's only because one's in Benoit and one's in a gated community and never has to deal with the town itself. For the past 5 years the town has gone WAY downhill. I felt almost like a dark cloud over the area right when we pulled into town. Areas I used to go to at 2 o'clock in the morning and felt safe, now I felt like I was about to get jumped in the parking lot in broad daylight!
It's SO SAD to see how much this beautiful city has changed, for the worse. There's NO WAY I would raise my children in this town, unless of course they went to Washington School or Greenville Christian and I lived in a gated private neighborhood like Bayou Oaks or Country Club. Both really expensive private schools are totally worth it if you want your child to be safe and not witness horrible things. Your child is likely to get stabbed or shot at any of the public schools. I know, I went to one of them in Junior High. I witness a girl get stabbed in the neck during lunch and i was only in 7th grade! Pregnant girls walking the halls, drug dealers who only come to school to get free lunch (which is BS) and to sell drugs. There were 18 year old thugs sitting in a 7th grade computer class JUST TO SELL DRUGS! It's ridiculous. And that's when I was in 7th grade, which was about 12 years ago. It's gotten worse sense then.
When I was younger, the town was run right. They had people in charge that actually cared about the town. How it functioned, how it upheld a sense of pride, and how it gave it's residents somewhere to feel safe. Obviously whoever is in charge, the mayor, the PD, the school systems just DON'T CARE anymore. If they did, they'd be more worried about cleaning up the crime and drugs than whether or not it's a black or white person in charge.

I do agree with previous posts here about the food, though. The food is the ONLY thing I miss about Greenville. Well, maybe going out on the lake too. Shapley's (now closed), The Sandbar (now closed), Doe's, Lillo's, Ciccero's, Shipley Donuts, Pasqualies, SO GOOOOOOOD! At least we know that people there can drown their sorrows in excellent food. There's nothing better to do.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 PM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glad2bgone View Post
I was born and raised in Greenville, MS. When I was younger it was such a wonderful place to live and raise a family. We lived on Washington Avenue when I was really young, and had a house boat at the yacht club. THen we moved to Lake Ferguson Road. Both of these neighborhoods were so great, THEN. I have since moved to Colorado and come back to visit family about once a year. There's only 2 members of my family who actually still choose to live there and that's only because one's in Benoit and one's in a gated community and never has to deal with the town itself. For the past 5 years the town has gone WAY downhill. I felt almost like a dark cloud over the area right when we pulled into town. Areas I used to go to at 2 o'clock in the morning and felt safe, now I felt like I was about to get jumped in the parking lot in broad daylight!
It's SO SAD to see how much this beautiful city has changed, for the worse. There's NO WAY I would raise my children in this town, unless of course they went to Washington School or Greenville Christian and I lived in a gated private neighborhood like Bayou Oaks or Country Club. Both really expensive private schools are totally worth it if you want your child to be safe and not witness horrible things. Your child is likely to get stabbed or shot at any of the public schools. I know, I went to one of them in Junior High. I witness a girl get stabbed in the neck during lunch and i was only in 7th grade! Pregnant girls walking the halls, drug dealers who only come to school to get free lunch (which is BS) and to sell drugs. There were 18 year old thugs sitting in a 7th grade computer class JUST TO SELL DRUGS! It's ridiculous. And that's when I was in 7th grade, which was about 12 years ago. It's gotten worse sense then.
When I was younger, the town was run right. They had people in charge that actually cared about the town. How it functioned, how it upheld a sense of pride, and how it gave it's residents somewhere to feel safe. Obviously whoever is in charge, the mayor, the PD, the school systems just DON'T CARE anymore. If they did, they'd be more worried about cleaning up the crime and drugs than whether or not it's a black or white person in charge.

I do agree with previous posts here about the food, though. The food is the ONLY thing I miss about Greenville. Well, maybe going out on the lake too. Shapley's (now closed), The Sandbar (now closed), Doe's, Lillo's, Ciccero's, Shipley Donuts, Pasqualies, SO GOOOOOOOD! At least we know that people there can drown their sorrows in excellent food. There's nothing better to do.
Greenville sounds a lot like Jackson these days. That is such a shame. Neighborhoods that used to be nice aren't safe anymore.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
Greenville sounds a lot like Jackson these days. That is such a shame. Neighborhoods that used to be nice aren't safe anymore.
I had applied for a broadcasting job in Greenville several months ago... and after reading this thread, I'm GLAD I didn't get the job!

I will never apply for a job in Jackson either.. ;(

Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I had applied for a broadcasting job in Greenville several months ago... and after reading this thread, I'm GLAD I didn't get the job!

I will never apply for a job in Jackson either.. ;(
You would probably be OK working in Jackson, just not living there.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,214 times
To the people that say there are gangs in Greenville:

I've been to some of the worst parts of Greenville and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard of or seen an actual gang. I've seen people stealing, guns, drugs, etc, but never a gang.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM

177 posts, read 970,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvilleisntthatbad View Post
To the people that say there are gangs in Greenville:

I've been to some of the worst parts of Greenville and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard of or seen an actual gang. I've seen people stealing, guns, drugs, etc, but never a gang.
No, Greenville is not Los Angeles where you see gang members in their territories, hanging out with their clothes, colors, etc. Gangs are everywhere, not just the west coast, in places you'd never expect.

But please don't fool yourself to think that gangs in Greenville don't exist.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 AM

52 posts, read 215,520 times
I read on the DDT online they are going to cut Gville's trash pickup to once a week. When I lived there trash already piled up even on twice a week pick up schedule. It's truly amazing the decisions made by their city government. Next will be police protection only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Oh wait..... they're already doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi