Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 09:41 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhitts View Post
I like this very much. Good summary.

Now, my question: Is Kentucky Midwest? They seem to have an opposite problem. They (technically...I guess maybe some did, much like in MO it was contentious) never seceded from the Union, but almost always seem to self-identify as Southern and not Midwestern. Interesting.
Yes but if your going by the Civil War some of the worst Battles of the war were fought in Sothern Missouri by Missouri Confederates and won.If they would have had backing by forces from Arkansas Missouri would have been a solid Confederate State.

brushrunner

Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
I was thinking about the cultural undertones of Missouri and just realized there is a similar pattern currently appearing in Northern Virginia. My thought is that its a state that switched cultural region but the original base still shows up. Think a layer-cake with a Midwestern culture on top of an earlier Southern culture. This does have modern parallels in Northern Virginia and other Southern metro areas where transplants form a large percentage of people possibly changing the culture but still see the original culture in aspects.

The biggest Southern influences you can see in Missouri that does make it a Midwest variant would be Evangelical Protestant percentage of population being much higher, being more conservative than other Midwest states (could be as much a Great Plains influence there as well which brings in a third cultural component), also having local barbecue traditions. (actually Missouri is one of only a couple of states with more than one indigineous style (KC and StL with North Carolina being the other state) What I wonder is what the trends are in the future, especially considering the SW corner of the state growing faster could make it more culturally and politically powerful.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM

736 posts, read 524,320 times
Hey Y'all I'm new to this forum and I would just like to say that I live in Franklin County Missouri. Where I live I think it's half southern my family lives like all other southern people. We deep fry everything theres not a week that goes by that we don't have catfish. My dad makes the best fried okra and catfish. My grandma's cheese grits can blow you away and every june we have our family reunion down in marble Hill Missouri. My last name is parsons I had 57 members of my family die fighting for the grey.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-16-2010 at 09:04 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
Hey Y'all I'm new to this forum and I would just like to say that I live in Franklin County, Missouri. Where I live I think it's half southern my family lives like all other southern people. We deep fry everything theres not a week that goes by that we don't have catfish. My dad makes the best fried okra and catfish. My grandma's cheese grits can blow you away and every june we have our family reunion down in marble Hill Missouri. My last name is parsons I had 57 members of my family die fighting for the grey.
that's only 50 or so miles outside of St. Louis. Do you feel that the Southern culture fades as you get closer to St. Louis? When I'm in St. Louis, it doesn't feel Southern to me, but when I bring friends from TN to St. Louis they say it still feels like the South.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-16-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM

736 posts, read 524,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
that's only 50 or so miles outside of St. Louis. Do you feel that the Southern culture fades as you get closer to St. Louis? When I'm in St. Louis, it doesn't feel Southern to me, but when I bring friends from TN to St. Louis they say it still feels like the South.
Well I while I feel that St.Louis as some southern leanings I still don't feel at home there. Not like I do where I live where I firmly believe it's southern. But my family comes from Tennessee and southeast Missouri anyway.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
I've voted 'Southern' in this little poll, and I'd vote 'Southern' again (and again and again). But that does NOT mean that MO - including the Ozarks - is anything like its recent portrayal in at least one recent exploitative film that shall remain nameless. *angry grumble*

Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,219 times
Missouri is southern I live in Atlanta and consider missouri a southern state ive been thier and the culture is very southern comparied to the midwest they grow cottion and tabaco in the state it is a former slave state the weather is warmer comparied to rest of midwest etc..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM

11 posts, read 10,012 times
As someone who moved to St. Louis from Auburn, please allow me to emphatically state that Missouri has no connection or correlation with the South. Manners, Courtesy and Class are very rare in Missouri.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleySnail View Post
As someone who moved to St. Louis from Auburn, please allow me to emphatically state that Missouri has no connection or correlation with the South. Manners, Courtesy and Class are very rare in Missouri.
Those things are lacking in many big Southern cities, like Memphis for example. There's some very rude, unclassy people there too. I actually found people in St. Louis to be very friendly and classy. Probably moreso than Memphis.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_boi View Post
Missouri is southern I live in Atlanta and consider missouri a southern state ive been thier and the culture is very southern comparied to the midwest they grow cottion and tabaco in the state it is a former slave state the weather is warmer comparied to rest of midwest etc..
Yeah maybe Southern Missouri, but I definitely wouldn't start comparing St. Louis and Atlanta or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri