Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
It was ok but he only did it for southeast Missouri, not the other parts of southern MO.

So you're saying Branson NOT southern, then cross the border 5 miles down the road is 100 percent southern?
If you had really read everything he posted about that map, you would know the answer to your queries.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
It was ok but he only did it for southeast Missouri, not the other parts of southern MO.

So you're saying Branson NOT southern, then cross the border 5 miles down the road is 100 percent southern?
I only did SE Missouri because that is the only region that I am 100% sure that I am correct. I'm 100% sure my line is damn near spot on. I'm sure if I would have drawn a line across the entire state I'm sure I would have made an ass out of myself. Besides, the line I drew is a trend line of sorts, it's not an absolute line either way. Plenty of places south of there feel midwestern and plenty of places north of there feel southern. Most of Cape County isn't southern either except for pockets here and there & along Route 25 down to Advance (which was some of the influence for the line that I drew). If you want to argue that the Green counties are more 100% Midwestern, I can see 4 that are incorrect (Perry, Cape, Stoddard, & Scott). Perry County ain't even close as you said, so obviously whoever made that map discredited themselves on the whole thing with that simple and plainly obvious (to a local) mistake.

Onegoal, what's your reasoning to call Rolla "Upland South"? I'm about to go back to school again in a few weeks starting my Junior year and I honestly don't see how your coming to that conclusion.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I only did SE Missouri because that is the only region that I am 100% sure that I am correct. I'm 100% sure my line is damn near spot on. I'm sure if I would have drawn a line across the entire state I'm sure I would have made an ass out of myself. Besides, the line I drew is a trend line of sorts, it's not an absolute line either way. Plenty of places south of there feel solid midwestern and plenty of places south of there feel southern. Most of Cape County isn't southern either except for pockets here and there & along Route 25 down to Advance (which was some of the influence for the line that I drew). If you want to argue that the Green counties are more 100% Midwestern, I can see 4 that are incorrect (Perry, Cape, Stoddard, & Scott). Perry County ain't even close as you said, so obviously whoever made that map discredited themselves on the whole thing with that simple and plainly obvious (to a local) mistake.

Onegoal, what's your reasoning to call Rolla "Upland South"? I'm about to go back to school again in a few weeks starting my Junior year and I honestly don't see how your coming to that conclusion.
Just from being there a few times. What I mean by upland South is northern KY, far southern IL, far southern IN, West virginia, northern OK feel. Certainly not mostly midwestern, but also not fully southern either. More of a transition zone. Certainly doesn't feel midwestern. Besides the next county south of them takes on a more southern feel, then the next county down you're in Howell county which is in dixie. I certainly wouldn't consider phelps co 100 percent midwestern. Also a lot of people in that area ancestors are from the upland south as well. KY, NC.

But a county doesnt have to be 100 percent southern to be considered southern. FLorida most of its areas except for the inland counties dont have much southern culture. Same as any other state.

Stoddard co is not that many miles from arkansas. Now I've driven thru Scott county before stopped a few times and it certainly felt like I was in cotton country, and a lot of the folks seemed to talk funny to me with an accent. It seemed like an entirely different world compared to St. Louis.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Just from being there a few times. What I mean by upland South is northern KY, far southern IL, far southern IN, West virginia, northern OK feel. Certainly not mostly midwestern, but also not fully southern either. More of a transition zone. Certainly doesn't feel midwestern. Besides the next county south of them takes on a more southern feel, then the next county down you're in Howell county which is in dixie. I certainly wouldn't consider phelps co 100 percent midwestern. Also a lot of people in that area ancestors are from the upland south as well. KY, NC.

But a county doesnt have to be 100 percent southern to be considered southern. FLorida most of its areas except for the inland counties dont have much southern culture. Same as any other state.

Stoddard co is not that many miles from arkansas. Now I've driven thru Scott county before stopped a few times and it certainly felt like I was in cotton country, and a lot of the folks seemed to talk funny to me with an accent. It seemed like an entirely different world compared to St. Louis.
Extreme SW Illinois fits in with the Bootheel more than "Upland South"(Alexander & Pulaski counties). I think the southern influence in Rolla is minimal, and I say that having lived there as well. There is a very strong cultural connection to St. Louis & I've heard that nasal dialect quite often in Rolla. The rest of the folks there usually speak lower midland or an Ozark dialect (think Missouri twang). The Ozarks are a region separate from the Midwest or South, but with influences from both. Rolla, being on I-44, doesn't feel very southern to me at all. It's not even really comparable to the city of Cape Girardeau, which isn't 100% southern in itself.

The northern half of Scott County isn't really cotton country, it's more like cattle & catholic church country.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Extreme SW Illinois fits in with the Bootheel more than "Upland South"(Alexander & Pulaski counties). I think the southern influence in Rolla is minimal, and I say that having lived there as well. There is a very strong cultural connection to St. Louis & I've heard that nasal dialect quite often in Rolla. The rest of the folks there usually speak lower midland or an Ozark dialect (think Missouri twang). The Ozarks are a region separate from the Midwest or South, but with influences from both. Rolla, being on I-44, doesn't feel very southern to me at all. It's not even really comparable to the city of Cape Girardeau, which isn't 100% southern in itself.

The northern half of Scott County isn't really cotton country, it's more like cattle & catholic church country.
Cape is MUCH more southern than Rolla. Maybe because it's the starts of the Delta area.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Cape is MUCH more southern than Rolla. Maybe because it's the starts of the Delta area.
Gunner was born and raised there, and you're telling him thats its much more southern than Rolla?????
Really?????
Might as well tell me that Ste Gen county was a hotbed of Confederate sympathizers!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Gunner was born and raised there, and you're telling him thats its much more southern than Rolla?????
Really?????
Might as well tell me that Ste Gen county was a hotbed of Confederate sympathizers!
THB said himself in this thread in the past Cape has more of a southern feel than Rolla does as Rolla has more influence from Stl he thinks.

Which makes sense as SE MO is the most southern cultural area of the state.

Not saying the ozarks near hwy 60 are not southern they're but not like SE Missouri as you hit Cape. I'd consider Sikeston much more southern than the Ozarks.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
THB said himself in this thread in the past Cape has more of a southern feel than Rolla does as Rolla has more influence from Stl he thinks.

Which makes sense as SE MO is the most southern cultural area of the state.

Not saying the ozarks near hwy 60 are not southern they're but not like SE Missouri as you hit Cape. I'd consider Sikeston much more southern than the Ozarks.
Onegoal you missed my point. Cape has some southern leanings but it's nowhere near 100% southern, and Rolla can't even compare to Cape in that regard, so I don't see how Rolla is more upland southern than midwestern?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Onegoal you missed my point. Cape has some southern leanings but it's nowhere near 100% southern, and Rolla can't even compare to Cape in that regard, so I don't see how Rolla is more upland southern than midwestern?
Thank you for the clarification....I really think that onegoal is cherrypicking posts, which is rather reprehensible.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I dunno ROlla just feels strange and not fully midwestern. Thats why I used upland like southern Indiana and northern parts of northern KY and maybe parts of WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri