Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

I am beat. Plumb wore out. But, this has been the best weekend I've had in a long, long time.

I have a friend that is currently in the VA Nursing home. Jerry is in stage IV cancer. Talking to him, I found out that he loves to fish. What better place to fish than ElkHunter's place?? So I made arrangements for another Vet, that happens to work at the VA, to check Jerry out and bring him out to my place. Saturday, Chuck checked Jerry out and then took him to a local restaurant. This restaurant seats about 30 people, still allows smoking, but boy do they pile on the food. Jerry told me he ordered the special. He said they brought out a plate with 2 eggs, sunny side up, 2 pieces of link sausage, 2 pieces of thick bacon, and hashbrowns. Jerry said he looked at that and said, "OMG, how will I eat it all", and then they set down his 3 pancakes on a separate plate. hahahaha

They got out here at about 8:30am and we fished til about noon. Jerry has to be back in and connect to IV's by 1. But he had a blast and kept thanking me and telling me about how much fun this has been. Chuck took him back to the VA. About 2pm, one of the nurses (a friend of mine) called me and thanked me for having Jerry out. She said he won't shut up about it. She said that she got him all hooked up and left him to eat his lunch (they normally eat in a dinning hall, but she had fixed a tray to save for him, knowing he would be late). She said it wasn't 10 minutes and Jerry was pushing his call button. She went down to check on him to see what was wrong. The only thing that was wrong was Jerry wasn't finsihed telling her about fishing. Here is the first group of pics, from yesterday.

Jerry is the one on the right, Chuck is on the left.

Catch of the day. 16 inch Rainbow. I cleaned it, wrapped it, and put it in the freezer. Jerry wants me to keep them and when he has enough, he wants to have a fish fry out here.

When they were getting in the car, I told Jerry to have Chuck bring him out, any time he wants to fish, or even just sit around the fire. Chuck suggested bringing him out again in the morning. Jerry asked if that would be OK. I told him, "Anytime Jerry, tomorrow is great as long as you are up to it." So they came out again this morning. Only I had something special in mind. They got here and Jerry was the first one with a worm in the water. That worm wasn't wet 10 seconds and he brought in a 16 inch Rainbow, exactly the same as yesterday. It was priceless.

Jerry with the rod, Chuck with the net.

Jerry had to show Timber his catch.

Then came the suprise! We loaded Jerry up along with his Oxygen Tank and his gatoraid, and went for a ride.

When we got back from the Wagon ride, we picked up everything so Chuck could take Jerry on a ride through the country. They were going to take the long route through the county roads along the face of the Big Horn mountains.

Jerry kept telling me what a blast he was having. I didn't know it until today, but I found out that Jerry was the exact same age as me. 58. He was a Corpman in the US Navy. I thought he was much older because I was told he was much older. He's been stuck in a VA Nursing home for well over a year. First in Denver for 8+ months and then transfered up here in March of this year. I met him the same month.

The team is usually pretty hyped up and kind of jerky on take off's, until you drive them a ways, but today, it was like they knew to be gentle. They stepped out very quietly, no jerk, and was in step in less than 50 ft. I, for one, had a wonderful Labor Day Weekend. I know Jerry did, and so did Chuck. We're going to do it again, just as soon as Jerry wants to.

But, for now, I'm going to rest up. That little guy wore me out. hahahahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Default 'ole EH...the big old Curmudgeon w/ a heart as Big-as-all-Outdoors!!

I just got home from my daughters's place (she had a little BBQ for about 6 of us). She has to start back teachin' day after tomorrow, and wanted to have 'ole Dad and a couple of friends over for "ribs".......

Yes, I know how lucky I am..............at age 80 to still be able to hop in the car and drive 20 minutes and be at the daughter's place. Particularly since we both just celebrated "being clean & clear" for 10 full years.............And you EH.............being sooo generous with your time and effort to afford a gentleman like Jerry with such an enjoyable outing.............You do indeed deserve a big "Well Done".......I applaude you!!

Hope you and all the friends here on the forum enjoy the remainder of this Holiday 3-Day weekend!!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Kudos to Elkhunter. You made that guy really happy. And Kudos to Timber...for not eating the fish!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 AM

163 posts, read 584,586 times
What a great story. I commend you EH.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:10 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
EH has a heart the size of Montana!!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Dang, Elk, that's a helluva day you gave those guys... Xmas in August! looks like a durn tasty fish too Timber sure is a pretty dog, and she matches the horses.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I feel whole again. Yesterday, late afternoon, I went and picked up my 4 wheeler from the Honda Dealer. They finally got it fixed. Course, I can't complain. I took it in and they tore it down and called me with an estimate 48 hours later. They took only 10 days to fix it. I've been lazy to and I haven't even unloaded it yet.

All in due time. For now, I think I'll take a nap. Then maybe a little lunch and of course, an after lunch nap........ We'll see.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-07-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I feel whole again. Yesterday, late afternoon, I went and picked up my 4 wheeler from the Honda Dealer. They finally got it fixed. Course, I can't complain. I took it in and they tore it down and called me with an extimate 49 hours later. They took only 10 days to fix it. I've been lazy to and I haven't even unloaded it yet.

All in due time. For now, I think I'll take a nap. Then maybe a little lunch and of course, an after lunch nap........ We'll see.

I can sympathize with you Elk, I had to take last week off from work as I was stranded in Big Timber.
When I got to Livingston, the front wheel on my truck was balanced on the bolt, not connected to anything and pointing in a directon not consistant with the other three.

$120 to have a wrecker move the truck the 3 blocks to the Dodge Garage, and as that happened on a Friday evening, nobody at the shop until Monday.

Found out that the caliper, bearings, axle and knuckle were all gone

Finally got the last part in Thursday evening at 5:50 pm, and the truck was back together about 3:30 on Friday, August 31.

Only cost $1258.00 for the parts and labor

Had to waste a week of vacation that could have been spent hunting

Oh well, at least the wheel didn't come off at 70 mph going down the highway, and I was able to get it repaired so I have it for Hunting Season.

What can I say? "Stuff" happens.

At least you were able to do some good for that Vet. Bravo Zulu to you Elkhunter

Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Oh well, at least the wheel didn't come off at 70 mph going down the highway
That happened to us several years back right after we had a brake job done a a big chain muffler and car repair chain store. They had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on one of the wheels. A wheel came off with very little warning and we were stranded and shaken.
We made them do the tow, give us a loaner and they ended up giving us a new rear bumper and rear quarter panel. All because of one dufus grease monkey ! We barely kept the rig on the road when the wheel came off.
We get our new tires re-balanced and rotated in a few days and I will check the nut tightness with my torque wrench before I drive off. I don't trust anyone to do their job right anymore.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:38 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
I hear that... while back I had a dufus greasemonkey rotate tires (which I hadn't asked done, but he did anyway, tryin' to be a good guy) then forget to more than nobble half the lug nuts to the bolts.. didn't notice anything til about 30 miles later, goin' slow down a side road, what's that rumble from the rear?? On a sudden intuition I popped the hubcap and ... holy bleedin'... bless the gods of Ford, the wheel was still where it belonged, held on with one nut, and no damage. However the mechanic got an earful and methinks his greasemonkey will be the soul of caution henceforth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana