Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:41 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,190 times

Advertisements

As of now, I could *never* convince my wife to make the move...but...I've been curious if there's a city/town in Montana that would suit me.

Background:

-Originally from Ohio
-Now in Maryland
-Politically conservative, but not the bible-thumping Jerry Falwell type, I'm more of a libertarianish, "don't tax me too much and leave me the hell alone" type - Marylanders tend to think of me as a backwoods hick (although I'm not).
-Supporter of Judeo-Christian culture/values but not particularly religious
-More interested in things like nature, agriculture, simple life than ballet and plays
-I enjoy seasonal weather changes, I like to see some winter snow and summer warmth
-I love my technology (computers/electronics/tv/video/etc) and like to have access to shopping and restaurants, but it doesn't matter as much as to some
-Career in banking/finance, I'd like to be able to find a job, pay matters, but MT is cheaper from what I've seen than Maryland,
-Nice scenery
-Father of one, probably more kids soon, want a good place to raise a family

My own observations, which I'm looking to have corrected or affirmed:

1. Missoula, although very scenic, would be a bit too liberal for me and probably not much work in my field.

2. Great Falls *might* work but I don't know much about it.

3. Bozeman looks OK but again, jobs could be an issue

4. Billings, seems big enough to be a real city but small enough to escape the insanity of the urban East Coast, there's at least some sort of financial presence in town from what I've seen, politically more in-line with my views...

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:48 AM

276 posts, read 792,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
As of now, I could *never* convince my wife to make the move...but...I've been curious if there's a city/town in Montana that would suit me.

Background:

-Originally from Ohio
-Now in Maryland
-Politically conservative, but not the bible-thumping Jerry Falwell type, I'm more of a libertarianish, "don't tax me too much and leave me the hell alone" type - Marylanders tend to think of me as a backwoods hick (although I'm not).
-Supporter of Judeo-Christian culture/values but not particularly religious
-More interested in things like nature, agriculture, simple life than ballet and plays
-I enjoy seasonal weather changes, I like to see some winter snow and summer warmth
-I love my technology (computers/electronics/tv/video/etc) and like to have access to shopping and restaurants, but it doesn't matter as much as to some
-Career in banking/finance, I'd like to be able to find a job, pay matters, but MT is cheaper from what I've seen than Maryland,
-Nice scenery
-Father of one, probably more kids soon, want a good place to raise a family

My own observations, which I'm looking to have corrected or affirmed:

1. Missoula, although very scenic, would be a bit too liberal for me and probably not much work in my field.

4. Billings, seems big enough to be a real city but small enough to escape the insanity of the urban East Coast, there's at least some sort of financial presence in town from what I've seen, politically more in-line with my views...

Ideas?
I'm also attempting to move to MT; moreover, I am quite conservative. I was wondering where you currently reside in MD. I grew up in MoCo. I could never live there now because it's just too crowded and expensive, AND far too liberal for me (along with the rest of the state). I'm only stuck here in FL because I haven't been able to sell my place yet. Personally, I'm looking for a rural area in MT in order to work as an educator. I'm sick of urban areas after living in LA, SD and FL. I love MT, and I have visited on numerous occasions. Good luck to you as you endeavor to leave MD. I don't blame you. I should mention that I received my BA at UMD.

PS I buried my mom with dad at Arlington Cemetery in 2008. The traffic in the DC area is as bad or worse than LA or San Diego where I lived previously. The Beltway is horrible, and woe to the person that must drive on the GW Pwky, 95, 270, et al!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
Quote:

Ideas?
Billings has the better financial backbone than the other cities in the state. Wells Fargo has most of their nationwide back office mortgage processing in Billings and there are a couple of other regional banks that have their HQ or a major office there. Kalispell has a few more stock brokers but if your interests lie in mom-and-pop brokerage business, Billings has a much broader market (very high end to beginner investors).

Missoula isn't as liberal as most college towns back east but it does have a large number of Californian liberals. Bozeman is nothing but Californian liberals unless you are dealing with the University. There's a reason it's called Boze-angeles. Most MSU prof's, at least when I was there, ran the gambit from liberal to conservative but it wasn't important in the Engineering or Architecture Colleges. Great Falls is dependent on the Air Force base and local ag. I don't know about the finance industry there.

If you can't convince your spouse to move, why bother asking the question?

Last edited by flyingcat2k; 11-27-2010 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 11-27-2010, 12:13 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Not to put you off but North Dakota has the lowest unemployment rate around, why not check into it?
good luck

Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM

22 posts, read 67,086 times
We almost sound like the same person, hairmetal, except I'm not in the finance industry. I've been pondering a move out West and my wife's exact words are, "we have to have a plan if we're going to move."

I live in Frederick, MD and currently work in IT but I may try a career change if possible; I kind of fell into IT and would just as soon fall out of it if I had the opportunity. I've lived in suburban PA and MD my whole life (only 26 years so far), but I have a longing for the outdoors. My wife is somewhat of a country girl at heart too and an artist. We're both relatively conservative with some liberal streaks. I'd like to get where I can breathe some mountain air and teach my kids (and myself actually) how to fish.

Anyway, I'd be curious about a good place to settle too. I'm currently pursuing a job with the federal government, as that's a good way to move around the country with job security. My dream job is to be an LE ranger in the National Park Service, but we'll see how that goes I guess my best bet is the "bigger" areas like Billings.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Great Falls is dependent on the Air Force base and local ag. I don't know about the finance industry there.
According to recent reports, Benefis Hospital is now larger than Malmstrom Air Force base.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
If you can't convince your spouse to move, why bother asking the question?
I'm working on her. She's about a year behind me as far as her infuriation with the traffic infested liberal cesspool this place is.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
I'm also attempting to move to MT; moreover, I am quite conservative. I was wondering where you currently reside in MD. I grew up in MoCo. I could never live there now because it's just too crowded and expensive, AND far too liberal for me (along with the rest of the state). I'm only stuck here in FL because I haven't been able to sell my place yet. Personally, I'm looking for a rural area in MT in order to work as an educator. I'm sick of urban areas after living in LA, SD and FL. I love MT, and I have visited on numerous occasions. Good luck to you as you endeavor to leave MD. I don't blame you. I should mention that I received my BA at UMD.

PS I buried my mom with dad at Arlington Cemetery in 2008. The traffic in the DC area is as bad or worse than LA or San Diego where I lived previously. The Beltway is horrible, and woe to the person that must drive on the GW Pwky, 95, 270, et al!!!
Long story as to how I got here, basically, my wife and I were in a long-distance relationship, and I moved here to be with her. She's not from here either, however.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:10 PM

I did some google street view searches around Billings. I have to say, while Billings seems to be the "less pretty" of Montana cities, I actually think it's a rather clean, pleasant place, and the rimrocks are pretty cool.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 PM

22 posts, read 67,086 times
Quote:
I did some google street view searches around Billings. I have to say, while Billings seems to be the "less pretty" of Montana cities, I actually think it's a rather clean, pleasant place, and the rimrocks are pretty cool.
So where are you in MD? Did you see my message above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana