Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 34,814 times

Advertisements

I know that many states have a negative view of people in California, and I was wondering if people in Montana had a similar view. I am moving to Montana so, and was thinking I should mention it as little as possible. I am from a rural area so I hope it isn't painfully obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
The news is usually received with an eye roll. As unfair as it is, California has a bad rep countrywide. Montana is no different.

I think the worst areas for anti-California are the Flathead Valley and Bozeman. Then again half the Flathead valley is Californians so maybe they welcome their own? I know the locals are not shy about their distain for Californians moving in and driving up real estate prices thus forcing locals out due to higher property taxes. Bozeman is often referred to as Bozangeles. Throw the Bitterroot valley in there as well.

I know several people from California. Some are great, some not so much. The bad one will have a tough time living it down. He is known around town as "California Mike" so even if one doesn't know him personally, they know he's from California.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,590 times
and !

Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 AM

11 posts, read 34,814 times
To be honest, I can't blame people for not liking Californians. I live here and I am not particularly found of them either, but then again I come from the State of Jefferson area. The far northern, rural, conservative part of California that has been trying to break off and form it's own state for years.
So any tips for fitting in? I am sure the fact that I'll probably be wearing long sleeves in by September isn't going to help my case much.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
If folks ask, tell them you are from the state of Jefferson, which also covers southern Oregon if I remember right.
Weren't they set to declaire statehood on December 8, 1941?

The main problem folks here have with Californians is attitude, and it is the same one you Jeffersonians get hit with, so you know what I am talking about.

Just be yourself, don't push the "I'm from California" stuff, let folks get to know you, join in for local events, go to your church, be a good neighbor and you will be accepted.

If you go someplace like Bozeman, (LA North) or Missoula, (Little Berkley) it's no big deal because most of your neighbors will be from California anyway.

Decades of transplants have caused problems here, and some animosity, most from folks that were forced out of their home states like Colorado and Washington because of the California takeover of their states.

Not all Californians are bad, I know some that are great folks, but there is a stigma so change your license plates as soon as you can, downplay the California part, and it will allow folks to know you before you get painted with the broad stereotype brush.

Heck, if you say you are from the State of Jefferson, it will give you a conversation starter so you can talk to folks and make a good first impression.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
The view of Californians in Montana is mostly negative as others have said.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
The Californians that do not get accepted here in Montana, are the ones with the big chip on their shoulder that go around telling everyone how much better things are done in California. How his is done in California and will be so glad when Montana moves into the current century and do things like they do them California.

I also am from the Jefferson area. My family settled in Humboldt county in the late 1800s, on both side of the family. It is a good place to be from, and the attitude there is not typical Californians. More like Montana. Just be a friendly person, and forget to ever mention California and you will do well here.

Born in Fortuna, and lived in Eureka after I was grown. Left after the big flood in 1955, as the county was devastated and I needed to earn a living. Went to the Silicon Valley area, and stayed there till the smog about killed my wife and one young son. When the doctor said get them out of there or prepare to bury them within 6 months we left. Moved and my wife is in her 80s, and my son is in his 60s and both very healthy. When we go back to visit family there, I am so glad to be out of there and love Montana.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The Californians that do not get accepted here in Montana, are the ones with the big chip on their shoulder that go around telling everyone how much better things are done in California.
Having lived in both myself... the one thing Calif does better is PARKING LOTS, as in making sure they're big enough for the store. Good grief, trying to park at the Bozeman Walmart, what an adventure!!

Otherwise... not so much.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Having lived in both myself... the one thing Calif does better is PARKING LOTS, as in making sure they're big enough for the store. Good grief, trying to park at the Bozeman Walmart, what an adventure!!

Otherwise... not so much.
What always blows me away about parking lots here in Montana are the small spaces. We're a state with a healthy appetite for trucks and SUV's but the parking lot designers think we all drive Fiats. Except Costco. They get it right. Again.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Helena Costco might have, but Bozeman Costco sure didn't (I guess it's the artsy-fartsy designers in charge here). There's exactly one row, over by the gas station, where I can park the dually (also the only place RVs can park, and being across from the rest stop, it gets plenty of RVs!) The whole rest of the parking lot is broken up into cute little curves and curbs suitable only for smaller vehicles. Hello, look around, do you see all the fullsized pickups going by? Get a clue!!

Boise Costco has the same problem, and then some. Nampa's, not so much -- part of the lot is kinda crazy (apparently no larger vehicles are ever expected to exit the gas station) but the whole NW side is big and open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana