Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM

51 posts, read 235,655 times

Advertisements

federal funds are the only reason Montana finally enforced the 55 mph speed limit back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
And now we have the feeb's trying to ram "realID" down our throats. Threatening that we can't get on airplanes without extensive security checks if we don't roll over... I agree with the Govenor on this one issue, I'll put up with more security checks to NOT have the big brother card!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:55 PM

34 posts, read 100,348 times
This sentiment of the people of Montana is one I reason I very much want to move to MT. I want a place where I can live a nice quiet life with as little government interference as possible and I think MT is it!

Good for you MT!

I’m not an expert of course so take it easy on me but I would think that so long as “the people” of MT(or any state) wanted to secede that they could. If it requires that it be mentioned in that states Constitution then why couldn’t the state modify its Constitution? I would think that short of making a law that goes against the BOR then they could do whatever they’d like? At one point they were not a state so I don’t know why they couldn’t go back to that. Of course, as I said there could very well be something that I’m over looking.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,756,735 times
It's all well and good that you want to live in Montana to avoid government interference, but what about when the neighbor puts in a target practice range? A gravel pit? Logs his property? Installs a race track? All of these things happened near my hometown - and boy, people sure want the government there when these things went in.

Lots of Montanans support "little government" and then go running to the government once someone does something they don't like.

Just something to think about.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM

34 posts, read 100,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmagone View Post
It's all well and good that you want to live in Montana to avoid government interference, but what about when the neighbor puts in a target practice range? A gravel pit? Logs his property? Installs a race track? All of these things happened near my hometown - and boy, people sure want the government there when these things went in.

Lots of Montanans support "little government" and then go running to the government once someone does something they don't like.

Just something to think about.
As far as I'm concerned it's not really my business what someone else does with their land so long as it doesn't endanger my life. If someone setup a shooting range, for example, in a way that rounds were coming onto my property then it's of concern to me. If not then it's not. I've always gone by the idea that if you keeps your nose out of my business then I'll return the favor. Hopefully my neighbors would feel the same way.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:34 AM

51 posts, read 287,910 times
Just to throw my hat in and let yall know that others feel the same, i for one just moved here to this great state of MT for the very political reasons for which you all speak. never been a gun owner but am sure thinking twice about that with the neocons agenda but this id card is the scariest thing i could imagine. add the super highway and the amero and i'm scared s***less. Hope MT lives up to my hopes of standing their ground, I'd be happy to stand amongst them.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:05 AM

160 posts, read 638,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandjess View Post
Just to throw my hat in and let yall know that others feel the same, i for one just moved here to this great state of MT for the very political reasons for which you all speak. never been a gun owner but am sure thinking twice about that with the neocons agenda but this id card is the scariest thing i could imagine. add the super highway and the amero and i'm scared s***less. Hope MT lives up to my hopes of standing their ground, I'd be happy to stand amongst them.
They won't. They can't. The only state with the ability to make session possible is Texas. Not because of the way the law may or may not be written, but because of industry. Texas is able to self contain herself, and did for 9 glorious years. (In terms of industry, in terms of maintaining her borders, that I doubt.) Montana has no resources aside from mining and a limited timber market, and tourism. (Her agriculture could be a respectable resource, but its limited to too narrow of a crop base to make it viable to feed a nation.) They don't pay the bills of a self-sufficent nation.

As a whole, the population is typically lazy and loud in words, but when it comes down to the actual right to remain true to their guns, I don't see Montana sticking beside them. It is way too dependant on Federal aid programs to remove itself from the equation. This is just a case of a governor with nothing to say making a loud 'look at me' remark. He knows it will never happen, he knows its an empty threat, but he wants the public attention.

I would love to be wrong on this, but I highly doubt it, and even if I am, there is no way that the state could stand on her own two legs with out outside assistance. The first thing I see the US government doing is putting up a trade embargo against the country of Montana, so she is crippled at the knees from the onset.

Add to the fact that the last 5-10 years in Montana has seen the level of left-leaning people move in and start to sway the balance of it traditionally being a right state, and you can expect the next few years to take Montana the opposite direction from what you are after or a current governor is proclaiming. It is changing and as a firearms owner, I am not happy with the direction of the change, so I am leaving as soon as possible.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,155 times
God Bless Montana!.... I hope they continue to ring true in their words and fight D.C. !!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 PM

76 posts, read 262,845 times
California could probably secede right along with Texas.

And once it is ravaged by civil/class/hippie warfare, the US can trigger that earthquake that'll finally send it into the Pacific.

Montana probably couldn't, not enough resources or brainpower to do it.

Last edited by Catsofthebase3; 03-26-2008 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: more topical

Old 03-27-2008, 05:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsofthebase3 View Post
California could probably secede right along with Texas.

And once it is ravaged by civil/class/hippie warfare, the US can trigger that earthquake that'll finally send it into the Pacific.

Montana probably couldn't, not enough resources or brainpower to do it.
My don't we think alot of ourselves. Not enough brainpower or resources? Really?
One thing we do have that most other states want is WATER. Since most western water sources start here I guess we could do "something" with that don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana