Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray73 View Post
I know that doing the research is really my own problem, but a little help would be wonderful. That's what this forum is for, right? Helping others who are in desperate need of information?...
In return for all the help, I promise an acknowledgement in my book to all of the wonderful people on this forum. I have no idea when my editor and publicist are going to finsh hacking up my book and suggesting changes, but when that daunting process is done I'll be sure to post the release date and any other relevant information. Hell, I'll even ship a copy out to anyone who wants it. It's sort of a local thing, though. I'll probably end up as one of those novelists who has their books on a rack in a supermarket, and everbody just walks by them without a sidewards glance. Lol. It's such a sad fate. Maybe I'll make it big, though, who know?
I don't know what businesses are in Browning right now, haven't been there in 30 years. But if I were to imagine it as similar to any other isolated edge-of-the-prairie town with a lot of dust and not much money coming in... okay, I'm making up all the details because the only things I really remember are the Indian Days in the open middle of town, and the museum, but the idea is to transmit the character of the town as something you can use.

There might be a used-book store. It'll be a little narrow shop, just one of a dozen small shops in a row in an old brickfront single and two-storey building. There might be a cafe on one end of the block and what used to be JC Penney's on the other, but is now a flea market. (Remember this is a marginal economy, it does not attract urban-style business.) The other shops might be a thrift store, a hardware store, a laundrymat, a crafts store that sells native products to tourists, another that sells leatherwork to richer tourists. On the next block (downtown being only two blocks long) we might find a couple standalone buildings done in log-cabin style -- one is the library and the other is the museum. Four or five bars, an IGA grocery, and another cafe can be found in a scatter of other buildings. That mysterious clutter around a shed at the other end of the street used to be an A&W stand, back in the day.

The middle of town is a wide open plaza landscaped mainly in dusty brown grass. During Indian Days it's bright with dancers in native costume and there are a couple gaily decorated teepees along one side, and a number of crafts booths. Everyone moves slow and easy, no hurry. The sky is wide and the sun sparkles off the dust blown up by the endless prairie wind.

On the edge of town we might find a McDonalds, a couple gas stations, a Chevy dealership and a mechanic's garage, a run-down but earnestly hopeful motel with a fanciful sign. Town ends and prairie begins, with no "urbanization" whatever, in fact nothing but the odd farm or abandoned homestead all the way east to Cutbank or north to Alberta, while if we go west it's only a short drive into Glacier Park and a total change of mood from old-west to tourist-trap. The state roads are two-lane blacktop, the local roads are gravel, all sprinkled with traditional spring potholes.

Summer is hot and dry, winter is cold like nowhere else (often the nation's low). Spring and fall can't make up their minds, it might snow one day and be sunny the next. In July, prairie thunderstorms can come from a clear blue sky to hail and back to clear blue in just half an hour. The wind seldom stops, you don't notice it anymore but you tie everything down. The rolling prairie is golden in the fall and the view is worth the climate, without a human artifact in sight to break the flow of the high grass, and hardly a tree to be seen either, but the distant buttes look like hills broken off by a vengeful god. It's easy to imagine that Browning is the last town on earth, with no other humans anywhere.

=========

Anyway, if I were writing something set in Browning, that's the feel and mood. It seems bleak but look again, it has character and depth.

As to the newer school and tribal life, that I can't tell you about even from imagination -- use the Blackfeet links someone else posted, there's info and someone there might be more who you need to talk to for that.

And I wouldn't mind having a copy when it's done -- might be fun. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
If you're looking for pictures, the town of Browning has a website with past and recent pictures:

Images of the Past and Present of Browning Montana and the Blackfeet Indian Reservation

Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Please do a search as there's plenty of climate and other info already posted about Browning.
Ditto that ^ and keep in mind the ratio of sex offenders there (according to the City-Data's "Browning" page) is 76 to 1.

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 20,263 times
Thank you so much. That really did help! I found everything that I was looking for and more.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 20,263 times
Talking Thank you so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I don't know what businesses are in Browning right now, haven't been there in 30 years. But if I were to imagine it as similar to any other isolated edge-of-the-prairie town with a lot of dust and not much money coming in... okay, I'm making up all the details because the only things I really remember are the Indian Days in the open middle of town, and the museum, but the idea is to transmit the character of the town as something you can use.

There might be a used-book store. It'll be a little narrow shop, just one of a dozen small shops in a row in an old brickfront single and two-storey building. There might be a cafe on one end of the block and what used to be JC Penney's on the other, but is now a flea market. (Remember this is a marginal economy, it does not attract urban-style business.) The other shops might be a thrift store, a hardware store, a laundrymat, a crafts store that sells native products to tourists, another that sells leatherwork to richer tourists. On the next block (downtown being only two blocks long) we might find a couple standalone buildings done in log-cabin style -- one is the library and the other is the museum. Four or five bars, an IGA grocery, and another cafe can be found in a scatter of other buildings. That mysterious clutter around a shed at the other end of the street used to be an A&W stand, back in the day.

The middle of town is a wide open plaza landscaped mainly in dusty brown grass. During Indian Days it's bright with dancers in native costume and there are a couple gaily decorated teepees along one side, and a number of crafts booths. Everyone moves slow and easy, no hurry. The sky is wide and the sun sparkles off the dust blown up by the endless prairie wind.

On the edge of town we might find a McDonalds, a couple gas stations, a Chevy dealership and a mechanic's garage, a run-down but earnestly hopeful motel with a fanciful sign. Town ends and prairie begins, with no "urbanization" whatever, in fact nothing but the odd farm or abandoned homestead all the way east to Cutbank or north to Alberta, while if we go west it's only a short drive into Glacier Park and a total change of mood from old-west to tourist-trap. The state roads are two-lane blacktop, the local roads are gravel, all sprinkled with traditional spring potholes.

Summer is hot and dry, winter is cold like nowhere else (often the nation's low). Spring and fall can't make up their minds, it might snow one day and be sunny the next. In July, prairie thunderstorms can come from a clear blue sky to hail and back to clear blue in just half an hour. The wind seldom stops, you don't notice it anymore but you tie everything down. The rolling prairie is golden in the fall and the view is worth the climate, without a human artifact in sight to break the flow of the high grass, and hardly a tree to be seen either, but the distant buttes look like hills broken off by a vengeful god. It's easy to imagine that Browning is the last town on earth, with no other humans anywhere.

=========

Anyway, if I were writing something set in Browning, that's the feel and mood. It seems bleak but look again, it has character and depth.

As to the newer school and tribal life, that I can't tell you about even from imagination -- use the Blackfeet links someone else posted, there's info and someone there might be more who you need to talk to for that.

And I wouldn't mind having a copy when it's done -- might be fun. Good luck!

You are a saint! Thank you so very much! You have no idea how much that helps. I have the most amazing mental picture right now, after reading your description. Words cannot even begin to express how grateful I am to you right now, Reziac, for all the information that you have given me.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray73 View Post
You are a saint! Thank you so very much! You have no idea how much that helps. I have the most amazing mental picture right now, after reading your description. Words cannot even begin to express how grateful I am to you right now, Reziac, for all the information that you have given me.
Thanks I write too (space opera; no terrestrial locations involved) so I know the importance of not only the setting, but getting the FEEL of the setting, so your characters will just naturally behave appropriately (or not, if they don't fit in). And once I got started it just came a'running.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 21,658 times
I to am Interested in Moving near or around browning/Cut Bank/Shelby. Can anyone help with Rental info?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Here is a picture of an interesting church in Browning. It's made from oval river rocks.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM

Wow, that's a neat building... kinda funny miscegenation with the clapboard half, tho! Wonder which part was built first?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 AM

I'll try to find out for ya, we will be in Browning in about a week from now.
I guess nobody liked my "other picture" on my post about the sex offender ratio in Browning ! Oh well I thought it was cute !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana