U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 PM
 
79 posts, read 299,403 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

Okay, so what's the scoop? In the Whitefish to Eureka corridor, on a 1-10 scale, what's the racism level? (1 being non-existent and 10 being the KKK). Is there any hatred toward Hispanics or Blacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2008, 11:25 AM
 
369 posts, read 954,321 times
Reputation: 252
You must realize that in Montana African-Americans and Hispanics are present in very small numbers and a very few white folks might be startled to see them here.

I'd give it a 4.5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
262 posts, read 468,887 times
Reputation: 230
i have found that people who are concerned about racism usualy find it. otherwise i have never seen much racism in montana. a little bit against native americans, but nothing major. just ACT normal and you will be treated normal, no matter your color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 PM
 
Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,649 posts, read 11,731,853 times
Reputation: 5124
Depends on the attitude we're presented with. Good attitude probably a 1, a bad you owe me because your forefathers did xxx to us or pushy/rude attitude it can get to a 10 real quick like.
I've not seen a "hatred" as such but a waryness some of the time. You have to understand that I know people who've never talked to anyone other than an amercian indian, have never seen a burka, very few asians and fewer mexicans or blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Montana
1,219 posts, read 2,024,924 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsForMeAndMyHouse View Post
Okay, so what's the scoop? In the Whitefish to Eureka corridor, on a 1-10 scale, what's the racism level? (1 being non-existent and 10 being the KKK). Is there any hatred toward Hispanics or Blacks?
This sounds like a loaded question to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 PM
 
79 posts, read 299,403 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Depends on the attitude we're presented with. Good attitude probably a 1, a bad you owe me because your forefathers did xxx to us or pushy/rude attitude it can get to a 10 real quick like.
I've not seen a "hatred" as such but a waryness some of the time. You have to understand that I know people who've never talked to anyone other than an amercian indian, have never seen a burka, very few asians and fewer mexicans or blacks.
Yeah, that makes sense. I've been to areas (KY, TN, etc.) where the Realtors have even told me (illegally), "as long as you ain't black or stupid Mexican, you'll fit in fine."

But from what I've seen in the Kalispell, Whitfish, Eureka area everyone seems to be totally cool as long as you "ain't act'n stupid" (as opposed to BEING black or Mexican).

If you're acting stupid and you're black, then you might have an issue. If your Mexican and you're causing problems, then you'll have problems. If you're white and your acting stupid you'll have problems. But if your green, white, black, brown and you're just a normal, decent person, everything's fine. Is that a fair conclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,649 posts, read 11,731,853 times
Reputation: 5124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsForMeAndMyHouse View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. I've been to areas (KY, TN, etc.) where the Realtors have even told me (illegally), "as long as you ain't black or stupid Mexican, you'll fit in fine."

But from what I've seen in the Kalispell, Whitfish, Eureka area everyone seems to be totally cool as long as you "ain't act'n stupid" (as opposed to BEING black or Mexican).

If you're acting stupid and you're black, then you might have an issue. If your Mexican and you're causing problems, then you'll have problems. If you're white and your acting stupid you'll have problems. But if your green, white, black, brown and you're just a normal, decent person, everything's fine. Is that a fair conclusion?
Pretty much... Don't get me wrong, we have some remenants of militia groups and there's a radio station in South Kalipell that tends to stir some of the more seperatist people up and as everywhere there's racist people but they are not the norm from what I've seen so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
6,488 posts, read 7,487,439 times
Reputation: 1994
The closest to racism I ever saw in MT was when I was admiring the fine voice of some black singer on TV (this was in a public lounge at MSU) and a black student I happened to be sitting next to informed me "Most black people sing" like it was something no one else did. I didn't quite know how to answer that statement, and that was the end of the conversation! (Tho I was thinking, "If they all sing like that gal on the TV, that's a good thing!!")

But it's like the other posters say... If you're looking for trouble (be that racism or something else), you'll find it. And if you're Busy Being Whatever, ie. passive-aggressive or with a chip on your shoulder, then you'll encounter what you earn... doesn't matter if the Busy Being is Some Other Race or a Cigar Smoker or Trailer Trash or whatever, if you get into people's faces with it, or expect them to give you special consideration because of it, they won't like you.

But if you're just YOU, a regular person, no one will give two flips about your race -- might be regarded as interesting or novel or "where y'all from? what's it like there??", but not as any sort of negative.

There will always be rabble-rousers and morons who need someone else or some group to blame, and you can't truly have free speech unless crazy-stupid speech and "hate speech" are equally as protected as normal sane speech. But we don't have to validate their point of view by taking them seriously. Let 'em rant, we've got better things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
 
4 posts, read 11,577 times
Reputation: 26
honestly, people dont say much about it, but if you bring it up, about 80% of the population is very racially conscious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
6,488 posts, read 7,487,439 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiarefugee View Post
honestly, people dont say much about it, but if you bring it up, about 80% of the population is very racially conscious.
Mainly because people like Jesse Jackson keep shoving it in our faces and rubbing our noses in it. Lay off about how "different" or "downtrodden" your race is, and most people won't pay race any attention, and will regard colour as nothing more than a description, no more interesting than if you're wearing a green hat. Probably less interesting than if you dyed your hair green.

Recommended reading: Larry Elder's book Stupid Black Men, or how to play the race card -- and lose (Larry Elder himself is black, but doesn't believe in victimhood, however politically correct it may be. And if he ran for President, he'd have my vote!!) An excellent review: Human Events Book Service: Stupid Black Men by Larry Elder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top