Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,082,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
2-3 tons of caged drivers darn near killing you, yeah, thats worthy of a complaint.
Do they need to start putting warning stickers on the bikes so people realize that before they buy one? Basic physics shouldn't need explaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Do they need to start putting warning stickers on the bikes so people realize that before they buy one? Basic physics shouldn't need explaining.
No, we hop on bikes knowing the risks. Its the idiotic moves the caged drivers do. Look how many "caged drivers" cause motorcycle wrecks. Most often by making a left right in front of them.

Go buy a buy, read the manual. You will be surprised to learn whats in that book.

You would probably be surprised at a motorcycles stopping and turning distances and speeds. Instead of warning stickers, lets put everybody on a bike for a day in the city and see what its like.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
No, we hop on bikes knowing the risks.
Then why complain about them?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,051,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In this context? It sure seemed like it.
We can all go back and read what I said, so I'll ask you a third time: Is that what I said?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,548 times
Quote:
Then why complain about them?
The physics of cars is one thing. The stupidity of drivers is another. The stupidity is what riders complain about, not the cars.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The physics of cars is one thing. The stupidity of drivers is another. The stupidity is what riders complain about, not the cars.
All noise considerations aside, I think it's safe to say that the average seasoned motorcycle rider is much smarter, and multiplied times more better a driver, than your average car driver. And that doesn't even take into consideration the FACT that motorcycle riders are NOT doing countless stupid things - while driving - that make them a hazard to themselves and everyone else on the road.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:
At least those riders are out enjoying life doing what the like. I guess those who complain about everything are enjoying that to, its a win win

That about sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
All noise considerations aside, I think it's safe to say that the average seasoned motorcycle rider is much smarter, and multiplied times more better a driver, than your average car driver. And that doesn't even take into consideration the FACT that motorcycle riders are NOT doing countless stupid things - while driving - that make them a hazard to themselves and everyone else on the road.
I'd agree with that. The lousy ones aren't likely to survive the seasoning process.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'd agree with that. The lousy ones aren't likely to survive the seasoning process.
Locally, we just had a 24-year old girl miss an Interstate off-ramp, on her motorcycle. The rest of the story is that she not only had been going over 100 mph, she doesn't even have a motorcycle license. I say "doesn't" because (somehow) she survived the crash with relatively minor injuries. The group she was riding with kept going and left her. Class act...

Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,624 times
Quote:
2-3 tons of caged drivers darn near killing you, yeah, thats worthy of a complaint.

2 or 3 seconds of exhaust, hardly worth batting an eye at.
Riding a motorcycle on the streets is your choice, no one is forcing you to do it. But I have no choice other than to listen to your stupidly loud exhaust.

You should find ways to make yourself safer (helmets and daytime running lights) without encroaching on the rights of others.

I ride a two stoke dirt bike in the woods, along with deer, elk, moose, bears, trucks and ATV's. I don't run a loud exhaust, but I do use a $600 helmet, $800 knee braces, and full upper body armor. I'm still trying to find a neck brace that will work with my back pack. The back pack contains a first aid kit, search and rescue beacon and sleeping bag & bivy to keep warm overnight. Safety without annoying others any more than I have to.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Riding a motorcycle on the streets is your choice, no one is forcing you to do it. But I have no choice other than to listen to your stupidly loud exhaust.

You should find ways to make yourself safer (helmets and daytime running lights) without encroaching on the rights of others.

I ride a two stoke dirt bike in the woods, along with deer, elk, moose, bears, trucks and ATV's. I don't run a loud exhaust, but I do use a $600 helmet, $800 knee braces, and full upper body armor. I'm still trying to find a neck brace that will work with my back pack. The back pack contains a first aid kit, search and rescue beacon and sleeping bag & bivy to keep warm overnight. Safety without annoying others any more than I have to.
I think now would be the appropriate time to go on a long ******-fest about how you're destroying the environment, all for your own selfish pleasure. And don't try to hind behind the idea that dirt bikes aren't ear-splittingly loud...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles