Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Sounds like a Dean Koontz plot!
Dean Koontz on acid. I almost turn that movie off several times but it was just interesting enough for me to keep watching. Can't say I liked it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,253 times
I have Encore and Starz, and nearly all of those credited to Netflix are on these channels. I've never used Netflix and don't intend to after reading all of the complaints people have of not being credited for returning movies then being charged for them, plus receiving empty envelopes and other problems. I wrote off that source without ever trying it.

I also find an amazing number of more-obscure films on YouTube, most of which I just happened across. I did away with HBO and Showtime when I realized they show mainly series~stinky ones; Encore and Starz have a surprisingly wide variety of films, including foreign-language ones. Add TCM to that, and I get to watch a wide numerous films, sometimes as many as six a day.

(I'm on Disability and am housebound most of the time, so this helps fill my time~and my film journal.)

As for "Doctor Who": The present one is atrocious! David Tennant did a decent job of making the part his own, but the new cast could be hopeless. I've been watching the series since PBS started airing it in 1970. They mainly showed Tom Baker's seven seasons but also showed the two Doctors preceding him and the one following, a wonderful variety. I didn't care for Christopher Eccleston, but he was much better than the present one. I hate that they are sexualizing the Doctor! That is such a shame! I'm sick of Companions falling in love or just downright jumping him! Sheesh, people! I wish Sci Fi Channel or even BBC America would show the older series so that fans will realize there is much more history to the series.

I suppose I should leave some films I've encountered~non-Netflix:
The Station Agent ~ This one cannot be mentioned enough! The only thing is that, when I get to the end, I'm not ready for it to end! I love the people so much that it would have been a delight as a series, just to watch their friendships and to see them branch out to others. It's just so sweet-hearted=}

Unconditional Love (2002) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219374/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421229/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Camille (2008) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462219/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Felidae (1994 animated) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109791/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

No Such Thing (2001) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248190/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Dean Spanley (2008) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135968/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Vatel (2000) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190861/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

My Afternoons with Marqueritte (2010) ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1455151/?ref_=sr_1

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 07-20-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 01:52 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
The Station Agent ~ This one cannot be mentioned enough! The only thing is that, when I get to the end, I'm not ready for it to end! I love the people so much that it would have been a delight as a series, just to watch their friendships and to see them branch out to others. It's just so sweet-hearted=}
I watched this again a week ago. It's a nice film, and I like its candid reflections on human nature. Another film you may enjoy is Terri:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1687281/

Last edited by Exitus Acta Probat; 07-20-2013 at 02:02 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 AM

I've seen that. In fact, all of those on the early list have been on Encore or Starz.

Independent Film Channel used to be reliable, but it's sold out with commercials and awful series. I used to enjoy is so much before it followed the example of American Movie Classics, which now is a zomboid-populated wasteland.

Fox Movie Channel occasionally surprises me late night with commercial free showings of such oldies as "Making It" starring Kristoffer Tabori and the bizarre "The Touchables", which could only have been made in the late Sixties!

TCM still broadcasts so many treats, especially during the "Underground" portion:
Shanks starring Marcel Marceau (speaking role, as in "Barbarella" though the whole film is him in a double role)
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
The Iron Rose

There are so many more! I get to watch movies I've only heard/read about as well as ones I never encountered, including foreign-language films. Occasionally, they show some I haven't seen since the early Seventies on USA, which used to show a breathtaking variety of films I realize as I remember those years: Privilege, Where's Jack, Foes, Laboratory, Secret World, What the Peeper Saw, Royal Hunt of the Sun, etc. Obviously, I do love a mixture of movies. *smile*

Old 07-20-2013, 01:21 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
MystMoonstruck - Does your Encore, Starz, etc. cost only $8 a month? Streaming Netflix does - what a deal! I, along with many other people, chose to disconnect cable TV due to the cost and those annoying commercials among other reasons. Cable TV is a rip-off in my view!

Netflix streaming is a great way to see movies and TV shows. We used to also get DVD's by mail from Netflix and we never, ever had any of the problems you mentioned people complaining about. As a matter of fact everything was very fast and efficient with the DVD service. We just wanted to save even more money in our monthly bills so we now just do Netflix Streaming and are very happy with it.

Oh, the title of this thread is: "Netflix is the reason I found this gem". It's about Netflix.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:33 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
MystMoonstruck - Does your Encore, Starz, etc. cost only $8 a month? Streaming Netflix does - what a deal! I, along with many other people, chose to disconnect cable TV due to the cost and those annoying commercials among other reasons. Cable TV is a rip-off in my view!

Netflix streaming is a great way to see movies and TV shows. We used to also get DVD's by mail from Netflix and we never, ever had any of the problems you mentioned people complaining about. As a matter of fact everything was very fast and efficient with the DVD service. We just wanted to save even more money in our monthly bills so we now just do Netflix Streaming and are very happy with it.

Oh, the title of this thread is: "Netflix is the reason I found this gem". It's about Netflix.
I agree with this... I stopped getting Netflix DVDs but that was not due to any issue on the part of Netflix, but the fact that I am terrible about remembering to return the DVDs and so I'd have the same one for months on end, and for me it was a waste of money since I had such an issue remembering to drop them in the mail after I watched them. Sometimes I'd forget to watch them at all!

That is the same reason I NEVER do "Redbox". I own four Redbox DVDs because I am awful about remembering to return them and you know I paid way too much for DVDs I never wanted to own anyway because I procrastinated or plain out forgot to turn them back in! Just no.

At least forgetting to return a Netflix movie didn't cost me anything aside from the ability to watch the next one in my queue.

We dropped cable and when we did, we only had basic anyway. We just simply never ever watched it. Once I did want to watch something on MSNBC, that isn't available elsewhere, and I found out it wasn't part of my basic lineup. It made me so mad to realize that this channel was considered part of a"premium" package that we just dropped the cable entirely. It caused our internet bill to increase by $10 a month but whatever, it was the principle of the matter.

I have some issues with Netflix but not enough to cancel. For one, playback is horrible on my computer but that might be my computer..? When I stream via our PS3 it's fine. Second, I am super annoyed with how the play "status" bar (that shows when you pause or rewind and shows where you are in the show's progression) stays on the screen for SO long after you start the show, so if you pause then unpause, the bar stays there and covers up the closed captioning. That's a pretty silly complaint in the grand scheme of things though, I realize that.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:06 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I agree with this...

I have some issues with Netflix but not enough to cancel. For one, playback is horrible on my computer but that might be my computer..? When I stream via our PS3 it's fine. Second, I am super annoyed with how the play "status" bar (that shows when you pause or rewind and shows where you are in the show's progression) stays on the screen for SO long after you start the show, so if you pause then unpause, the bar stays there and covers up the closed captioning. That's a pretty silly complaint in the grand scheme of things though, I realize that.
Hi Sally...on your playback do you have a cable to hook up from your computer to your TV - an HDMI? That's how my husband did ours. When it's time to watch a movie he just plugs in his laptop to that cable which goes to the TV. Pretty slick since we don't have PS3 or Wii or anything else too modern. We do have laptops though. ha-ha!! Also, it might be your computer though. Netflix plays great on our laptops as well as the TV. Good luck.

Regarding the "status" bar if you use your mouse to move the cursor to the edge of the screen anywhere it should disappear. It works for me. Sometimes, though, I have to remind my husband to do that to get rid of the bar - he has the mouse at his chair.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Hi Sally...on your playback do you have a cable to hook up from your computer to your TV - an HDMI? That's how my husband did ours. When it's time to watch a movie he just plugs in his laptop to that cable which goes to the TV. Pretty slick since we don't have PS3 or Wii or anything else too modern. We do have laptops though. ha-ha!! Also, it might be your computer though. Netflix plays great on our laptops as well as the TV. Good luck.

Regarding the "status" bar if you use your mouse to move the cursor to the edge of the screen anywhere it should disappear. It works for me. Sometimes, though, I have to remind my husband to do that to get rid of the bar - he has the mouse at his chair.
Hi;

No, I don't have an HDMI I don't think. Then again there could be one in use with the TV and PS3.. I have no idea. My son knows all that stuff, not me, lol. I am becoming my mother, all dumb about technology! I have a desktop computer with a pretty big flat screen monitor we bought specifically to watch stuff in the bedroom. My computer seems to give me trouble with video in general though so I don't wanna blame Netflix.

The status bar thing annoys me when I watch on the PS3 with no mouse so I don't know how to make it go away fast on there. I agree that moving the mouse works on the computer though!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 AM

I only have a DVD player in my laptop, and I don't use that. Besides, I like to tape movies. You have to buy a DVD player then another piece of equipment to tape. Then, you can tape just once on a disk! I love my VCR! I have tapes that are from the Seventies, and they still play beautifully. The only problem sometimes is that some that were taped on one machine sometimes need some tracking. Words such as "streaming" and "downloading" make me very nervous. And, I don't trust mailing things back and forth. I try to support the Postal Service by penpalling, but all of us have had letters to and from go missing and never show up. With penfriends, we know that happens, as much as we hate it. But, if a movie is lost, who are they going to blame?

Also, we don't go to movies, so cable is our source of entertainment, as neither one of us gets out more than once or twice a month. My mother especially enjoys documentaries, the weather channel and news. She teasingly calls herself a news junkie. *giggle*

Also, I really doubt that Netflix could offer the films I most enjoy. When I used to get flyers and info from Netflix, it seemed to be mainstream. THIS, TCM, Starz, Encore, YouTube, etc., provide films I'm more likely to enjoy, the ones I'd find at on the bottom shelves at the videostore (when I used to be able to go out). Also, I watch sometimes six or more films a day. Netflix just doesn't work for someone like me because of the quantity and type I watch.

I just don't know if I'll ever like using DVDs. Friends give them to me, and I set them aside, thinking maybe someday I'll watch them. I'm no more fond of them than I've been of CDs. I prefer the sound of vinyl and even like audiocassettes. CDs are only if I'm absolutely desperate for the music.

I guess I'm too old-fashioned for this era.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Netflix has nothing to do with it. I hate the idea that you're crediting an internet corporation with that.

All you have to do is buy yourself one or two good reference books about movies. One of the best presents I ever got was when a friend gave me Halliwell's Filmgoer's Companion. Or, as you said, if you look at what wins awards, or what directors have good reputations, that can be a guideline.
You mean like "Lost in Translation"? I wish I could get that time back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies