Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This part I don't remember. Ice was in first place. So I guess Maverick was 3rd but two teams had to go?

This has nothing to do with my post, it's just a funny clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUZxSf_P2r0
Can anyone look at that smile and not call this a “chick flick?”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The flying scenes. I grew up next to an air force base, and there is nothing that gets my heart pumping faster than the sound of a fighter jet.
I live a few miles from Buckley AFB and they routinely do training flights over my house.
Seeing and hearing those jets never gets old.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Top Gun was the best "promotional video" that ever was or could be for the U.S. Navy.

It showed a whole macho, testosterone-fueled, highly skilled and technical he-man hero who confronts danger, in aircraft the average person never gets to experience, while battling inner demons. Combine that with amazing cinematography, a feeling of "you are right there on the ship and in the cockpit," and an awesome soundtrack and it was an epic film for its day.

I remember watching this movie with my then-boyfriend and it was his fave film for a long time. The opening sequences with the carrier, the guys working on the deck, the planes taking off and landing was probably among his favorite. I liked them too, I must admit.
It definitely had an impact on recruitment.

From 1986:

'Top Gun' Boosting Service Sign-ups - latimes

Old 07-26-2018, 01:32 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
I have not read all the posts, so sorry if this was written before, but besides the music ("Top Gun" is the only "pop" movie soundtrack I own!), the cast was full of new young stars that went on to stellar careers, including Meg Ryan. And although the Charlie-Pete romance strained credibility and the movie was more than a just a little bit sappy in places, at least it had SOME plot. So, although this isn't exactly highbrow movie entertainment (to say the least), it had plenty of action, hot music and hot stars -- so what's not to like? (Unless, of course, such entertainment is "beneath" you.)

Old 07-29-2018, 12:16 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
LOL that is perfect, because although I didn't think it was bad the first time I watched it, the subsequent times I am like blah blah VOLLEYBALL blah blah, please stop talking and do some more FLYING. The clips I looked up besides Volleyball were all flying, and I will always have a soft spot for the part with Goose and his wife. You basically knew that he was a goner at that point. OK, ok, thank you for the part that deepens my feelings for the dude you're going to kill off.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:20 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times
Well I think the only reason why I saw Goose's death coming is cause I saw Hot Shots first actually, and perhaps Goose's death wasn't as telegraphed as some make it out to be maybe. Or maybe it is...

It's not a bad movie, I just don't think it's such a great classic like it's made out to be. I kind of feel the same way about Dirty Dancing, where all my friends loved it, and then I finally checked it out, and didn't know what the big deal was. Though I admit Top Gun is possibly better in my opinion.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:58 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Back in the video days, Paramount would run this as an advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tp1L7ekaAo

It may have been the best scenes from those flicks (probably not) but in any event, it is one heart thumping two minutes and change of great work. A wonderful ad to get people to watch the flicks.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:16 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I think the only reason why I saw Goose's death coming is cause I saw Hot Shots first actually, and perhaps Goose's death wasn't as telegraphed as some make it out to be maybe. Or maybe it is...

It's not a bad movie, I just don't think it's such a great classic like it's made out to be. I kind of feel the same way about Dirty Dancing, where all my friends loved it, and then I finally checked it out, and didn't know what the big deal was. Though I admit Top Gun is possibly better in my opinion.
That happens to a lot of people for whom a movie gets over-hyped in advance. It raises your expectations too high. And you watch a lot of movies that have had 2-30 years to build expectations for. If you had seen it then, you probably would have liked it better unless you can't accept a movie simply being FUN, lacking any real 'greatness' to it.

There was no greatness AT ALL except the flying. The plot was ok. The romance was cute but not very deep. It was meant to entertain, and for most people it really delivered on that score.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
It was the prototype used later in Days of Thunder except that was NASCAR, not a military branch. I happen to like it. It is a fun semi-action drama movie. You can shut your brain off and enjoy. IMHO even Marvel movies you cannot do that because they have some social or philosophical issue buried within the plot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies