Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 07:49 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I think Liam Neeson (Schindler's List) should have won among the the 1993 performances (awarded in 1994) rather than Tom Hanks for Philadelphia......but I think Tom Hanks should have won for the nominated 2000 performances for Cast Away, rather than Russell Crowe winning for Gladiator.
I absolutely agree with you. Neesons performance was incredible and he lost because of the subject matter of Philadelphia. That was one of the many disgraceful oversights in Oscar history and there are many. Hitchcock, Kubrick, Lumet, Kurosawa, Fellini, Leone, Bergman, Welles, Altman, Hawks, Kramer with a grand total of zero Oscars. Costner, Gibson and everyone since 2000 with too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 11:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 364,885 times
Some that come to mind, I know I’m forgetting…some..

Steel Magnolias Magnolias …Quiser — Shirley MacLaine
Any thing with Shirley.

Driving Miss Daisy— Jessica Tandy
batteries not included also with her
Fried Green Tomatoes

And as already mentioned anything withTom Hanks.

Last edited by Summerz88; 02-19-2024 at 12:17 AM..

Old 02-20-2024, 12:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I am a sucker for Shirley MacLaine and also for Meryl Streep. Oh and Jack Nicholson, Tom Hanks, and Denzel Washington. Oh, and Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branaugh! And Samuel L Jackson. I will watch just about anything with any of those people in it. And Laurence Fishburne! There are so many terrific actors out there. I loved Othello. And Much Ado About Nothing (aka The Movie With All The Gorgeous Men In It around here). And Henry V! And Terms of Endearment, and American Gangster and Philadelphia and Sophie's Choice and Something's Gotta Give and all sorts of other terrific movies. Hey, I need to watch The Post. Somehow that one got by me.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I think Liam Neeson (Schindler's List) should have won among the the 1993 performances (awarded in 1994) rather than Tom Hanks for Philadelphia......but I think Tom Hanks should have won for the nominated 2000 performances for Cast Away, rather than Russell Crowe winning for Gladiator.
I totally agree. From the very opening scene I was blown away by Liam Neeson's character in Schindler's List. I forgot to mention him - oh and Clint Eastwood too! So many! I don't care for many action movies but I love dramas.

Here's another terrific movie and it's totally a sleeper. At Play In The Fields Of The Lord. Love the performances in that movie, especially Kathy Bates and Aiden Quinn and Tom Berrenger, who really surprised me!

Also, The Bounty was excellent, with Mel Gibson playing Fletcher Christian and Anthony Hopkins playing Captain Bligh. See, I forgot about Anthony Hopkins and I will always watch something with him in it! Oh, The Bounty also has Lawrence Olivier and Daniel Day Lewis in it. Anyway, I think it's an Australian film but I could be wrong. Oh, and Liam Neeson is in that one!

Old 02-22-2024, 05:20 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I recently watched the movie The Holdovers to see the Oscar nominated performance by Paul Giamatti.

Instead, I saw an Oscar WORTHY performance by a young up-and-coming actor named Dominic Sessa, who is cast opposite Giamatti.

Although the time period in which the movie is set, the early 1970's, is near and dear to my heart, I wasn't really wowed by the movie, and I actually think Giamatti was over-acting in his part. The surprise was the incredibly good, moving performance by Sessa, who has never been in a film before.

If he chooses his roles wisely from here on out, this young actor is most likely poised for super stardom. I'd bet on it.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:37 AM

23,443 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Olivia de Havilland in The Heiress
Olympia Dukakis in Moonstruck
Vivien Leigh in Waterloo Bridge
Steve McQueen in The Thomas Crown Affair (sexy beyond words)
Ian McKellen in Gods and Monsters
Catherine Deneuve in Belle du Jour and Les Parapluies de Cherbourg
Sidney Poitier in anything, but In the Heat of the Night in particular.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:20 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Clint Eastwood + Meryl Streep -The Bridges of Madison County

Dustin Hoffman + Tom Cruise - Rain Man

Diane Keeten + Jack Nicholson- Something's Gotta Give

Goldie Hawn - Butterflies Are Free, Private Benjamin, First Wives Club, Death Becomes Her,
Goldie + Kurt Russell - Overboard

Susan Sarandon - Bangers Sisters, Thelma & Louise

Robert Redford!! Anything!
Barbara Stressand - Funny Girl

Old 02-27-2024, 09:47 AM

23,443 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Diane Keeten + Jack Nicholson- Something's Gotta Give
LOVE this film! And IMO all the major players gave standout performances, even (to my surprise) the normally wooden Keanu Reeves.

And how could I forget Nathan Lane chewing up the scenery in The Birdcage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmnWFZDlbA

Old 02-27-2024, 11:08 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Morgan Freeman never lets me down. I'll watch Shawshank Redemption, Driving Miss Daisy, Bruce Almighty, An Unfinished Life, and several of his newer lesser-known movies over and over. One of my not-so-well-known favorites is 10 Items or Less.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:46 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Morgan Freeman never lets me down. I'll watch Shawshank Redemption, Driving Miss Daisy, Bruce Almighty, An Unfinished Life, and several of his newer lesser-known movies over and over. One of my not-so-well-known favorites is 10 Items or Less.

I don't think I've ever seen An Unfinished Life, but The Shawshank Redemption, Driving Miss Daisy, and Bruce Almighty are great.

IMO, the three best theatrical releases since 1990 have been The Shawshank Redempion, Schindler's List, and The Pianist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies