Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

You know people are always talking about the content in rap music – I rode with my mom to Miami a few weeks back and they were playing an oldies station. Almost every damn song was about sleeping with someone else’s husband or wife.

If loving you is wrong
Me and Mrs. Jones
As we Lay
You, me and he
Secret Lovers

I guess back then adultery was the popular thing to sing about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM

598 posts, read 2,269,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You know people are always talking about the content in rap music – I rode with my mom to Miami a few weeks back and they were playing an oldies station. Almost every damn song was about sleeping with someone else’s husband or wife.

If loving you is wrong
Me and Mrs. Jones
As we Lay
You, me and he
Secret Lovers

I guess back then adultery was the popular thing to sing about
At least in those type songs from back then, the lyrics treated the woman in a more respectful way, they didn't just say "yo B**** gimme that dirty bootay", and calling them Ho's and being so degrading and crude. LOL Honestly, how can women with ANY ounce of self-respect listen to that??

Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
At least in those type songs from back then, the lyrics treated the woman in a more respectful way, they didn't just say "yo B**** gimme that dirty bootay", and calling them Ho's and being so degrading and crude. LOL Honestly, how can women with ANY ounce of self-respect listen to that??
who were they respecting their wives or the women they were sleeping with?

Please not all songs have lyrics like that. I can list a 100 songs that don't say any of those things. And I can do it without searching for 99 of the songs. Can you name 10 songs without searching that say things along the lines of "yo ***** gimme that dirty booty"

Besides I was talking about the meaning of the song - the point - the purpose. Several people have said "I don't likle rap music because they glorify violence" well those songs I listed glorified cheating on your spouse but I guess because it had some pretty music behind it and the person saying the words had a nice voice that the message got lost in translation.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,423 times
I wouldnt be me if I didnt chime in here.

First things first....
Most of your "Rap" music is sampled from other musicians and lyrics so get off the originality kick ok?

Second of all music has a deep and illustrious history regarding heartbreak, breakups and adulterous affairs. I'll give you that one.

Where your argument falters is when you bring up the fact that its no different than todays music. I beg to differ. At least when they sang about what they were feeling, it was just that, SINGING. You have some meathead who dresses like a thug, can sling a few rhymes, and all of a sudden he's the next best thing? It makes me sick, really.

Yeah music addresses many different issues to include social and worldwide problems. I pose this question to you....when's the last time you saw someone get jumped, shot, beat up or accosted at an Air Supply Concert? You cant say that about a NAS concert, a P.Diddy (or whatever the hell his name is this month) concert, a 50 cent concert and the list goes on and on. Whens the last time someone was shot to death at an Ojays concert? Oh but rap music represent the angst of society's urban youth. Give me a break will you? God if these so called musicians had and talent at all they would be writing thier own lyrics, writing thier own music, and carving thier place in history instead of trudging head long into infamy by way of guns, violence, and the perpetuation of the drug culture.

I read alot of the posts in this thread and one made mention to the attire my child would wear should they adopt these so called musicians ideologies. First, I've taught my kids to respect themselves and others. Any person that wears his pants at knee level for the sake of fashion is a complete and utter idiot. Second of all, they have dignity. They have been taught to act appropriately when dealing with others, and to be respectful to those around them. Image and self respect go along way, unless your trying to get into a gang then its not appropriate to be a decent human being!

I pose this question to all who read this....if you had a daughter and she was thirteen and wanted to go out wearing hip hugger pants sporting that new hello kitty thong (which is clearly visable to any and all who walk by) would you be ok with it? What kind of message are you sending to those around you? Trust me when I say that I see this all the time and it sickens me. Now lets let this same young naive little girl go to a Rap concert....hmmmmmm. Most of you can see where I'm going with this.

I will say this before closing...."Rap" is "CRap" without the "C". The oldies are awesome and you should be ashamed to include them in the same category with this garbage.

As far as anyone else who likes this crap, I'm sorry as you have either not let go of the adolescent phase yet or you still have a lot of growing up to do. Come see me when you have children who are at impressionable ages then we'll talk. Till then, keep your crap music away from me and off our airwaves.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
...."Rap" is "CRap" without the "C". .
Hey - wow - I have not heard that one before.
What an original, clever, and meaningful statement...

Did you know this?: Hip-Hop is "SHip-SHop" without the "S"!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times
Quote:

Yeah music addresses many different issues to include social and worldwide problems. I pose this question to you....when's the last time you saw someone get jumped, shot, beat up or accosted at an Air Supply Concert?
I think anyone who goes to an Air Supply concert deserves to get shot.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:46 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,162,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Yeah, Eminem fell off though. He started slacking and it showed in his verses. Not to mention, if you've living good, you can't really talk about the bad things you grew up around anymore. That was Eminem's strong point. Now that he's accomplished, he really doesn't have much to say. The only thing he's dealing with now was the recent death of Proof. He is working on a new album. We'll just see how it turns out.
Coming in to this discussion very late, but that was my impression of Eminem too. After The Eminem Show, which was overall a very strong piece of work, especially in the first half of it, he really seemed to go over old ground (e.g., Kim problems again?) I actually think he could be a strong social critic, as he seemed to be doing with "Mosh," but it appears to be an area he hasn't considered as much.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm a heck of a lot closer to 50 than to 20.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,281 times
Quote:
I wouldnt be me if I didnt chime in here.

First things first....
Most of your "Rap" music is sampled from other musicians and lyrics so get off the originality kick ok?

this the only thing in your post that im going to respond to cuz it was long as hell

no not most of rap is sampled from other musicians and lyrics
what made you think of that
i want to know

Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
who were they respecting their wives or the women they were sleeping with?

Please not all songs have lyrics like that. I can list a 100 songs that don't say any of those things. And I can do it without searching for 99 of the songs. Can you name 10 songs without searching that say things along the lines of "yo ***** gimme that dirty booty"

Besides I was talking about the meaning of the song - the point - the purpose. Several people have said "I don't likle rap music because they glorify violence" well those songs I listed glorified cheating on your spouse but I guess because it had some pretty music behind it and the person saying the words had a nice voice that the message got lost in translation.
Of course there are a few that are not like that, but truth is... a lot ARE and since you seem to know these artists well... I think you know a lot ARE!

Can I name 10 songs for you? I hate this genre with a passion and do my best to not listen to any of this garbage.Try to equate it in any way to the benign songs of a couple decades ago? LMAO! I DO hear rap EVERYDAY all around me while I work as well as when I come home and am forced to endure the vulgar words as my neighbors hang out in their front yard with their thug wannabe friends. I know what I hear. And it ain't pretty by any far stretch. Compare rap messages with "glorified cheating" of yesteryear?? There is NO comparison!

Just for the heck of it and give you a fair shake, last night I looked up the top 10 hot rap singles on billboard for the week, googled each lyric and read EVERY WORD. Only one song was free from the extremely vulgar, overly graphic sexual, degrading, violent, murderous content. Yup lots of b****, ho, P-word and general nastiness.

It's beyond sad to hear the messages of rap pounded into young kids heads and watch them act out this fantasy thug-gangsta lifestyle and waste away every ounce of potential success, peace, happiness or chance of attaining their dreams to be one with this self-defeating culture of violence. I hate rap, it's message and what it's doing to the youth of this nation.

Honestly I don't understand the question posed in this thread. I think it's fairly self-evident why people hate rap. LOL

Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
....when's the last time you saw someone get jumped, shot, beat up or accosted at an Air Supply Concert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I think anyone who goes to an Air Supply concert deserves to get shot.
Sounds like you need a little more Air Supply in your diet!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music