Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Ok then, lets just have a bagel shop on each corner. Every other corner some good Pizza.
Simple, and sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Ok then, lets just have a bagel shop on each corner. Every other corner some good Pizza.
Simple, and sweet!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 AM

253 posts, read 470,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Simple, and sweet!

And we must have a bakery for all of those goodies we shouldn't eat!!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:57 PM

43 posts, read 114,424 times
I concur with AddaVisser. I'm an entrepreneur in Boston (been there 6 years since graduating from college). My wife (an RN) and I are looking to move to Myrtle Beach sometime in the next two years. We just finished a few days there checking out the new construction options in Market Common (Beazer, Lennar's Emmens Preserve and D R Horton's Highlands at Withers Preserve).

I think Myrtle Beach is a wonderful place for tech -- great work/life balance, great internet connectivity through HTC. I look forward to moving to the area and being able to still be remotely engaged with the greater tech community outside the area. I also believe that there are many possibilities to leverage the atmosphere, the connectivity, and the visitors to draw more tech-minded people to the area.

Certainly its not possible to make big changes overnight, and there are many different approaches, but some tech atmosphere could beget more, including additional tech educational opportunities in the area to bring in more 'locals' to these higher paying areas of the economy.

If there are any other tech-centric folks -- no matter what level of interest -- Lets start talking, gathering, and seeing what we can get done by working together!

Last edited by LogicX; 07-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: remove snipe

Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 PM

61 posts, read 213,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
How attracting about a computer-related industry, that would employ people who want to live near the beach. Not just software development, but maybe something like insurance claim processing or order fulfillment that would employ clerical people. These kinds of jobs are currently centered in Columbia, but could be in MB. It has a decent airport, and colleges that could train employees.

Another idea: atttracting something like ESPN to cover golf matches in the south-east. MB real-estate is probably cheaper than Hilton Head.

Better jobs would then create a demand for amenities like live theater, gourmet resataurants, etc.
Look at Blackbaud on Daniel Island.....they used this exact idea and have done very well there!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 PM

215 posts, read 545,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
I would just like to hear from locals what they would like to see come to Myrtle Beach that would really step it up culturally and economically. I get that tourism is the bread and butter but I feel like the city if planned right could diversify and be so much more than just a summer tourist trap (mostly).
Diversify?

How about...........

1. 100+ Golf Courses (more than any place in the world)
2. At least 6 theathers/ shows every night
3. A baseball industry (Cal Ripken Experience is getting BIG), and separately, this is the first year for invited 250 high school baseball players to play ball for the summer in the MB area and get looked at by Professional baseball scouts
4. Shopping - Between the Tangers and Market Commons, some of the best clothing, shoe and accessories corporations in America.

You must not be from here

Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 AM

43 posts, read 114,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
Diversify?

How about...........

3. A baseball industry (Cal Ripken Experience is getting BIG), and separately, this is the first year for invited 250 high school baseball players to play ball for the summer in the MB area and get looked at by Professional baseball scouts
4. Shopping - Between the Tangers and Market Commons, some of the best clothing, shoe and accessories corporations in America.

Thanks for sharing dlcamp! I - as I'm sure many others - was not aware of the expansive baseball offerings - that's great to hear!

Not to split hairs, but I think the reference was to diversity outside of tourism. Unfortunately all these still fit tourism (borrowing from Wikipedia):

Quote:
The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people "traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes"
Some examples would be people relocating here for industry other than tourism or coming and staying many years for education (and it's great to see there are already some educational opportunities in the area - perhaps the great weather, atmosphere and available land could continue and attract four year college satellite campuses with on-campus housing, etc.).

Even the jobs to support the tourism industry are tourism themselves: I've met people from other parts of SC who come to MB for the summer to work, and I also know there are many programs from countries such as Romania where they advertise the ability to visit the US and experience things --- they're brought to places like MB for the summer and work an ice-cream stand on the boardwalk. Granted, such is likely needed to match the seasonal demand nature of things, but if there was a more thriving local community with larger numbers of families with kids - perhaps more of those jobs could be filled by local high schoolers during the summer.

Unfortunately your teenage kids having summer job opportunities isn't in and of itself sufficient to draw those families -

Old 07-21-2012, 10:25 AM

422 posts, read 486,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
Diversify?

How about...........

I was born and raised here. By diversification I mean industries outside of tourism and retail which everything you listed falls under.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:44 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Having a SET TIME each year for the massive biker "weeks" would help people who dont want to hear the noise avoid the trip. That would help.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 AM

215 posts, read 545,162 times
Baseball is not tourism.

We have the Pelicans.

We also have a major league basketball team, ABA Warriors.

Also Ladies Roller Derby, Palmetto State Roller Girls

Please support our diversities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area