Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times

Advertisements

When looking at RE in the Hendersonville area - I've divided it up into primary 4 areas:

Western Peninsula (Saunders Ferry Rd. area)
Eastern Peninsula (Indian Lake Rd. area)
North of the peninsulas but south of the Vietnam Veterans Blvd.
North of Vietnam Veterans Blvd.

Can any of you with local knowledge tell me what the difference is between the two peninsulas? Is one more desirable than the other?

What is the main difference (other than proximity to the water) between the peninsulas and the area north of Vietnam Veterans Blvd.?

Does anyone know of a MLS website for the area that would allow me to do a map search?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Not sure about the map but this is the best site. I think Zillow will allow you to check by a map. One thing you have to think about on the peninsula. There are few ways in and out so going to work, there can be a little backup there.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
I'd echo the Realtracs reference. The best way to search the peninsulas is to choose Sumner County > Hendersonville > then search by middle school...Ellis will be for the Indian Lake area, Hawkins will be for the Sanders Ferry/Walton Ferry area. Knox Doss might have a little bleed over into the Indian Lake area but is located on the other side of the bypass from the Indian Lake development. To do a broader search, search by High School: Hendersonville HS is going to be zoned primarily for both peninsulas, parts southern Hendersonville east of Viet Vets. Beech is going to be southern Hville west of Viet Vets, Indian Lake west of Viet Vets, Long Hollow Pike almost to the Ocana area. Station Camp would cover northern Hendersonville (Trinity Music City area on the east and points north from there), Saundersville Rd, Long Hollow Pike around Ocana/Station Camp, and on into southern Gallatin. I might have some of the geography a little off (and sometimes the real estate agents do too!) but that's the generic breakdown of the area.

As far as which peninsula is more desirable, I think it is Indian Lake for sure. It's generally a slightly "newer" area (this area sprouted up in the mid 80s in earnest) and seems like it has historically been a little better maintained. There's also a number of McMansions in that area that have drawn more wealth than the other peninisula I think. There's nothing wrong with the Sanders/Walton Ferry peninsula, but I think you'll find more homes in need of TLC, but you can also find some very fine homes there too. That area began sprouting up earlier...in the mid/late 70s. The other Peninsula...which really probably isn't a peninsula at all...is the one just northeast of Trinity Music City. You'll see lots of mansions on the lake there (Johnny Cash's former estate was there before Barry Gibb burned it down in his remodel of it...). But you'll also find some more reasonably priced homes back there too.

Hope that helps and if this is at all confusing, shoot me a DM and I'll try to be a little more concise.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
As far as which peninsula is more desirable, I think it is Indian Lake for sure. It's generally a slightly "newer" area (this area sprouted up in the mid 80s in earnest) and seems like it has historically been a little better maintained. There's also a number of McMansions in that area that have drawn more wealth than the other peninisula I think. There's nothing wrong with the Sanders/Walton Ferry peninsula, but I think you'll find more homes in need of TLC, but you can also find some very fine homes there too. That area began sprouting up earlier...in the mid/late 70s. The other Peninsula...which really probably isn't a peninsula at all...is the one just northeast of Trinity Music City. You'll see lots of mansions on the lake there (Johnny Cash's former estate was there before Barry Gibb burned it down in his remodel of it...). But you'll also find some more reasonably priced homes back there too.

Hope that helps and if this is at all confusing, shoot me a DM and I'll try to be a little more concise.
I have written in my notes (5 years old now) that overall - we found the Indian Lake peninsula a bit newer, more manicured and well kept, etc. and the Sanders/Walton Ferry peninsula an older bungalow/rustic community - you have validated my original findings -thank you DC.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 AM

96 posts, read 172,611 times
I live on the Indian Lake peninsula for 25 years. There are lots of homes available. I have recently been paying attention to homes that are vacant but without signs, there are so many. Is there any source that can inform you of vacant homes in an area?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Aside from Realtracs.com (which only shows listed homes, not vacant or for sale by owner) or FSBO (or other FSBO websites) I can't think of any others. Have you tried calling a real estate agent? That is probably your best bet to get an idea of why there are so many vacancies. I'm guessing forclosure and/or vacant rentals?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Grew up in H'ville. I'd say that the differences are similar to tree rings... as in the ages are reflected by when each area was developed. What you call the west peninsula is really the first extension of the original city limits (actually the city was not incorporated until 1968). The city grew first by annexation, taking in the Walton/Sanders Ferry peninsula first... and those houses were built mostly in the late 1950s (along the lake)... and most of them were put up in the 1960s, with some neighborhoods in the interior of the peninsula built in the 1970s. There are also apartment complexes and townhouses built there during the 1980s and 1990s... and even a brand new complex. So it is more developed, and slightly bigger in area than the "east" peninsula. Because of their ages, the houses tend to be a bit smaller than those on what you call the east peninsula. Those houses were mostly built in the 1970s, 80s, and even in the 1990s. It's still being built out with a few neighborhoods that are still under construction. Like the first peninsula, the houses along the lake are older, to the interior the houses tend to be newer (1980s/1990s). Also, yards tend to be larger than on the West Peninsula, although newer homes have smaller yards. No apartment complexes that I can think of exist on the East Peninsula... there are several along Main Street (east) near Country Club Estates.

North of Main Street along New Shackle Island Rd., the homes were built mostly in the 1960s. THey tend to be more modest than the homes on the West Peninsula... they are smaller. Many of them were put up by a local company at the time called Jones Homes, which sat in the "gulch" at the corner of West Main Street and New Shackle Island Road. Over the past three decades (especially since the 386 Vietnam Vets bypass was built), that area has gone more commercial. Still, you can find very nice affordable homes there. If you move more westerly (still inside the bypass) toward Weesington Place, you will find larger homes and yards. This area is now connected to the Indian Lake shopping district that has been growing by leaps and bounds over the past five years.

North of the bypass, you will find newer homes and larger yards. That area is where the style, age and size of houses is much more varied (from Mansker Farms to Durham to the smaller neighborhoods with very large "manses"). That area will see most of the future growth (for good and bad). You will see "pockets" of nicer homes and more modest homes go up in that area... and of course, you'll see a lot more commercial development go up along Long Hollow Pike... as each landowner sells off parts of their land. As for schools, I have been away from there for such a long time, but my brother in law teaches in one of those middle schools. So I hear how the schools compare. Overall, they are very good.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Aside from Realtracs.com (which only shows listed homes, not vacant or for sale by owner) or FSBO (or other FSBO websites) I can't think of any others. Have you tried calling a real estate agent? That is probably your best bet to get an idea of why there are so many vacancies. I'm guessing forclosure and/or vacant rentals?
I don't know what the foreclosure situation is in the Hendersonville RE market - but those vacant houses might be shadow inventory waiting to hit the market?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 AM

Thanks to all who responded with some very valuable information about Hendersonville. IF I were buying today - based on the home alone (not knowing about the area) - it would be MLS 1353991.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Thanks to all who responded with some very valuable information about Hendersonville. IF I were buying today - based on the home alone (not knowing about the area) - it would be MLS 1353991.
Wonder Valley is in a beautiful area off center point road just outside the city limits. You'd be about 1 mile from the Beech Schools and close to both vietnam vets and I65 at long hollow for commuting. That area looks very rural but you can be to either Glenbrook or Indian Lake for shopping in just a few minutes. IMO, it's a best of both worlds type area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville