Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:01 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,640,396 times

Advertisements

Of course you have a right to your viewpoint. I apologize if I made it sound otherwise.

My only objection was blaming the poor guy for making a profit and wanting to spend it here. Doesn't make him a locust, just makes him smart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,792,031 times
I don't blame anyone with such a huge financial advantage for making the decision either. If I were in such a position, I would likely do the same. But as you can see for the first post, concerns over culture, weather, and so on was mentioned right after the reason for moving here- cheap real estate.

I love Tennessee and Nashville. I have no problem with the culture, weather, and the fact that there isn't a Trader Joes on every corner. But if you are coming on here, wanting cheap housing but 'fear' the culture, then I think you need to evaluate your value system and deter,mine if a move here is really that great of an idea. Honestly- anyone that comes on here and immediately makes mention of 'concerns' over culture and the fact that this area will not be like wherever they came from should consider not moving here to begin with.

So to answer the OP post- yes- Nashville will not be like LA, the weather does get cold, it does have 4 distinct seasons, and yes- people here are pretty happy with how things are. You need to ask yourself some serious questions. If you are expecting this area to change for you, then it ain't happening. We do not mind newcomers, but you might want to actually like what we have here to start with. There- I've ranted enough.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,010,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Of course you have a right to your viewpoint. I apologize if I made it sound otherwise.

My only objection was blaming the poor guy for making a profit and wanting to spend it here. Doesn't make him a locust, just makes him smart
I agree completely. I see nothing wrong with that. If someone wants to cash in and move to Tennessee and help improve our economy by spending their new-found money here, then I'll be at their front door with a welcome basket of sweet tea, Grainger County tomatoes, Goo Goo Clusters, Moon Pies, and an assortment of Martha White muffins. Besides, it's probably just a matter of time before there's a TJ in Nashville; several are being built in Atlanta and NC.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,230,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree completely. I see nothing wrong with that. If someone wants to cash in and move to Tennessee and help improve our economy by spending their new-found money here, then I'll be at their front door with a welcome basket of sweet tea, Grainger County tomatoes, Goo Goo Clusters, Moon Pies, and an assortment of Martha White muffins. Besides, it's probably just a matter of time before there's a TJ in Nashville; several are being built in Atlanta and NC.
You forgot the bottle of Jack Daniels.

;-)

Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 PM

I agree- new money is good for the economy. It also brings new culture, ideas, money, and innovation to an area. But I think the point I was trying to make was what would you think will happen if suddenly hundreds of thousands of well-monied people move into an area that has previously been existing on a much lower economic level?What if everyone sold their home in whatever state for $700,000 and them moves into an area, throwing say 3-400k at a house without a bat of an eye? You get an escalation in home prices. When these forms of escalation come from outside money- and not money that originates via a local economy, then you get inflation. Inflation in turn can make living more expensive.

I'm saying this because I myself live in an area ( California) that has and does have this form of social stratification. It is an unhealthy system and greatly contributes to infrastructural decay. This is something that Tennesseans have not experienced and hopefully won't. But as someone who came from TN, I can say that there is a big difference in the dynamic between TN and places like CA and NY- hence the reason that so many people from these other states are moving in. They see the immediate financial advantages in making a power move to a cheaper ( in comparison to where they lived prior) area. Again- I do not blame them.

I see A LOT of people on the forum moving in for the exact same reason and seldom with cheap housing and a love of the area itself in the same post. Now I am sorry that I came off sounding nasty. I'm usually kind of tight-lipped about this subject. But it is starting to bother me that so many people are seemingly moving in just for the houses and not the area itself. I'm not even saying the OP was saying that either. But I get the gist from many other posts that the primary motivation is "the house".

Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,942,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
But it is starting to bother me that so many people are seemingly moving in just for the houses and not the area itself. I'm not even saying the OP was saying that either. But I get the gist from many other posts that the primary motivation is "the house".
".
So what if the reason people want to move is for "the house"? It seems as good a reason as any. Some people move for the views, some for the friendliness of the people, some for the better cost of living. Who are you to judge why people move to an area?

Old 04-30-2007, 03:34 PM

I'm not judging anyone. I'm asking what you think would happen to an area if tons of wealthy people move in. Besides, you're from NJ, so perhaps you have a reason for being on a TN forum. Could it be because you too want a "cheap house"? In that case, I can see why it must not be that big a deal to you.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,341,188 times
If you are going to move to an area simply because you can get a great deal on a house, BUT it is a lifestyle that you are not used to, it could be a recipe for disaster, especially if it is a drastic change and goes against your own set of values.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:37 PM

If you are going to move to an area simply because you can get a great deal on a house, BUT it is a lifestyle that you are not used to, it could be a recipe for disaster, especially if it is a drastic change and goes against your own set of values.

exactly. that's what I have been trying to get at, but you said it much better.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,942,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I'm not judging anyone. I'm asking what you think would happen to an area if tons of wealthy people move in. Besides, you're from NJ, so perhaps you have a reason for being on a TN forum. Could it be because you too want a "cheap house"? In that case, I can see why it must not be that big a deal to you.
I don't find houses that much cheaper - now the property taxes, that's a different matter.

I think if a bunch of "wealthy" people move in, Nashville will end up like parts of NC, which is not that great a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville