Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:40 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,067 times

Advertisements

While we saw great homes in some fantastic neighborhoods, we are also thinking of buying a lot in Green Hills and building. Any thoughts??

well, again as mentioned I would consider some real basic advice:

A: Sell the old house first. Don't assume it will sell quickly or for what you're asking for it.This sounds obvious, but I've heard of many people who buy a new house before their old one sells. That makes no sense, so don't do it.

B: rent first. You may have visited and looked at some nice places, but if you rent for 6 months and actually get to know the area better, you'll have the ability to really fine-tune your area preferences. You're not really in danger of running out of houses. Last time I checked, the MLS listings in Nashville are up by a good margin. TN real estate is not at all similar to CA, and doesn't suffer the same massive rises in appreciation. I can understand the big urge to " get in" just like you probably did in LA, but again... that is not the story here.There is no rush, and there will be plenty of homes now and in 6 months too. Hence the suggestion from several people here to rent first, buy when you know you like an area for sure. Doing so can save you money and future headaches if you buy somewhere that winds up not being that great of a decision.

Good luck, price your house to sell, and welcome to Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 11:50 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,636,361 times
I respectfully disagree. If you know the market and are priced right, take the leap when you find the house you love. There are no guarantees. Be reasonable, but don't live your life in fear.

I moved here before selling, and it worked out just fine. If you sell first or rent, you have to move twice. Shoot me!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:01 PM

I'm sorry, but buying ANOTHER house before you sell the old one is not only financially risky, but unnecessarily so. I don't understand why people get in such a huge rush to move to a totally new area and buy something without getting to know the area and the neighborhood. What good does that do you? Yes, there might be a house that you just adore and want to have right that very minute... But there are others that are just as nice, and I can put money on it that there will be more in the future, and very likely many that you would actually like even BETTER than the one you eventually buy. Again, there is no shortage of homes in Nashville and there is no reason to rush.The houses aren't going away and again- this area is not like the Northeast or West Coast where you MUST buy or else the prices go up and up. People who are not from here fail to comprehend this- which is why I see so many that jump in right away and have happy trigger fingers.

I moved to CA 10 years ago and even though I rent, it took me 3 years to find an area in the city I live in that I actually like and fit in with. If I had moved here and bought in the very first place I lived, I would have been a very unhappy camper. There are exceptions to every rule, but if you can avoid risk, especially given the current state of the real estate market, and particularly in some of the more bubbly palces like CA and the Northeast, why take them?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,636,361 times
I did know the area, so that doesn't hold up. Right now rates are rising. Why wait and pay more if you know what you want?

Caution has worked for you. Manageable risk has worked for me. There you go

Old 05-29-2007, 12:50 PM

I did know the area, so that doesn't hold up. Right now rates are rising. Why wait and pay more if you know what you want?

Why? Because you can't predict what prices are going to do anymore than I can. They might go up, they might go down, or they might do what they seem to be doing, which is remain flat. If you buy something that later winds up not being the most ideal, then saving 10-20k is going to seem like a small amount.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think this housing bubble created a lot of hysteria... People felt like they HAD to get in or they would be priced out forever. The truth is that a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay. It was the hysteria that jacked the prices. Some of that repercussion is spilling over into the states that weren't affected by people from those other states where it did. They still think they're going to get priced out.

When I hear some of the reasons why people make such extreme choices, the reasons seem pretty small. Like having to move TWICE. Or maybe rates will go from 5.60 yo 6%. These things are so little in site of the big picture. Moving is a hard week of sweat and labor. A house is for decades. Big deal. A few percentage points up on the interest rate is what- an extra 75 bucks a month? All very small reasons to make a big and unnecessary risk.

People need patience. There is a reason why the nation is actually in serious debt.The avg US citizen now has -0.08 in savings. Hardly any have retirement. And this is all because they wanted that house/car/gadget so badly. If everyone just took a big breath and spent perhaps an hour or so accessing the situation versus being fueled by fear of being priced out/moving/what color siding/ etc, then we as a nation would be in better shape.

There- I've ranted enough about it. Good luck to the original poster.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:36 PM

14 posts, read 42,740 times
We're not moving until we sell our LA house. We expect it to sell quickly (as beach property always does), but who knows what that means. We saw homes we liked, but never fell in love with any of them. My plan is to sell here, move there to a short term rental, and buy as soon as we see the house we love. We'll make offers with no contingencies because we're all cash, so interest rates mean nothing to us and because "cash is king" we expect to get a good deal. Thanks to all of you for the kind advice.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:36 PM

156 posts, read 680,291 times
I agree with AKM...
If you have children...I suggest looking in the Williamson County. It has a stellar reputation. I.. too.. got here via San Diego...and California cash goes a very long way here in Middle TN. You will like it here...the weather is great (minus humidy in summer)..there are seasons!..just not night and day!!
...and the people are truly sincere when they welcome you to their state.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:16 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,556 times
I would say if you have children Green Hills is a great option. Look at Newsweeks latest listing of the top 1200 public schools. You will find Green Hills out performs Williamson County. Don't shy away from Davidson County. You just have to know where to look.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 PM

156 posts, read 680,291 times
hey showbiz..I grew up in Culver City...went to high school in Playa del Rey...
Brentwood has a market called Fresh Market....It is very nice. Oh, the other thing I really miss is Jamba Juice...nothing like that here....
But...I have experienced the most amazing banana pudding with meringue sky high!...and chess pie..OMG. LOL!
Your daughter will be fine...the environment is wonderful..very family oriented!

Old 06-03-2007, 06:11 PM

162 posts, read 550,975 times
I just have to thanks to all the other Cali transplants! We moved from San Diego and have loved our time here. I do love hearing IN N OUT and Jamba Juice again though If anyone ever wants to get together and create a CA to TN support group - I'm in. I am a wimp when it comes to the humidity, but the lower cost of living allows for a community of people with more margin (time, money, stress).

For fun... I miss Robertos (try the roach coach off Harding south of Thompson's Lane), Good Chinese (love to be wrong!), and almost no bugs

I LOVE... Jim N Nicks, Whitts, surprisingly good Sushi (4 places so far...), and Spring! Nothing is this green in SD

Anyway, have a great time searching in the Green Hills area. While you can always find somewhere else you love after living here a while - you are getting good guidance. Green Hills is consistently one of the most desirable locations for clients of mine. If you need a few good builders, have your agent give me a call. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville