Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv723 View Post
You think driving from California to Nashville in 3 days is possible? I pretty much got my trip down: From my house to New Mexico to Arkansas to Nashville. (To=overnight stay)
Appreciated again with advice.
I flew to LA in the early 80's to help my sister drive back to NorthEast Tennessee when she got out of the Navy. We made it to New Mexico the first night, and Memphis the second. Of course, there were two of us taking turns driving. We drove about 16-18 hours per day. You should be able to make the drive by yourself in three days, but please take many, many breaks along the way. I drove to Ocala, FL from Nashville to see my parents, and it was only a 13 hour drive. I thought I'd never get there.

The directions from California were very easy for my sister and me. Just catch Interstate 40 East Bound in California and drive. That is one long road!

Hope your trip is a good one. Welcome to Nashville!
Buzz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
You're absolutely right, for all the wrong reasons.
I am not going to keep arguing like a child. All i did was compare. I have lived in both cities for over 8 years each. Believe me, i know what i am saying. I have lived in these cities, have you? These are the ways Nashville and LA are comparable. Trust me. I if you have lived in CA you know that everything is way richer. Southern poverty is big for westerners. If you would, i would appreciate it if you would tell what you think was a bad statement that i saide i would appreciate it.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville to LA to Dallas View Post
i would appreciate it if you would tell what you think was a bad statement that i saide i would appreciate it.
If you're serious, I'd be glad to.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
If you're serious, I'd be glad to.
yes i am serious

Old 01-04-2008, 10:15 PM

100 posts, read 352,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv723 View Post
Happy New Year!

Well, in Feb, my car is up for an annual registration renewal. Will it be a problem driving in TN with California License plates or should I apply registration to TN? According to my boss, it's cheaper there than here in California. If I pay now to get it renewed in California, it's $190. How much is it over there and what procedures I have to go through in order to get a TN license plate?

Not only that, in July, my CA driver's license is up for renewal as well. Same questions as above (do I need to take tests, difference between TN and CA, etc.)

Appreciated again with advice.
You are supposed to register your vehicle within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. We were told at the vehicle liscense place that there would be less paper work involved if you get your drivers liscense first and then register your vehicles. So that is what we did.

To get a drivers liscense you don't need to take any tests other than a quick vision screening. You need the following documents with you:

1. Proof of US Citizenship--Examples--Birth Cert, Passport, I-551/Perm Resident Card, etc.

2. Primary Proof of ID--Certified Birth Cert (they would not take the copy I had so I had to order a "certified" copy from the state), Military ID, Passport, Drivers Liscense from another state.

3. Secondary Proof of ID--Social Security Card, Work ID, School ID

4. Two proofs of Tennessee residency with your name and address--no PO Boxes--Example: utility bill, vehicle registration/title, Bank statement, Mortgage or Lease Agreement. This was the biggest hassle for us as I originally had all our mail going to a postal box and had to switch some bills over to our house and wait for the mail to get our liscenses.

You can see this info at Department of Safety Internet. I forget how much it cost but it was around $25 (i think) and they only take cash or checks. No credit or debit cards.

After we had our drivers liscense the car tags were pretty easy. We only needed to have the name and address of who financed our vehicles.

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
yes i am serious
In that case, I'll take your word for it. Can we continue this some other time; I have something else to deal with at the moment.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:00 PM

16 posts, read 95,579 times
Maybe you guys are right, it is possible to drive at least 700 miles a day but it would probably burn me out more. I would like to get there by Friday if possible so I can get acquainted to my new team as well the weekend to explore. But to be safe, I can get there Saturday.

By the way, what is a good gym to go to? My ideal gym price should be at least $25/month.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:08 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,639,061 times
The Ys here are very good. Living in CA, I didn't expect that, but I go there several times a week. There are lots of locations, so no matter where you live, there's bound to be one nearby. They either have flat rates or a sliding scale fee structure, depending on your income. At least they used to.

If the Y's not for you, there are plenty of options. I can think of several others in Franklin alone. All gyms will let you try it on a day pass free of charge. That's a good way to find the right fit for you.

Good luck, and have a safe trip!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
yes i am serious
I was wrong, I still don't agree with you, but I was in the wrong nevertheless.

I apologize.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,639,061 times
You're a saint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville