Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 44,772 times

Advertisements

Symrna is good the SAm Ridley rd has a few decent apartments. Enough shopping and the hospitol is near, you can drive down Murfreesboro Rd to Murfreeboro city or get on the Hwy I-24 to Murfreesboro for more shopping and resturants. I call it mini fun until you go to Nashville..big fun. Your commute will be much easier just staying in your own town. Murfreesboro is catching up there look at both towns for apartments and comparte gas and your life style. Mabe being close to friends will help the shock of relocating ....take it from me former Calfi of Silicone Valley. Have a good trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,432 times
There are YMCAs around Brentwood that are good for the money...$50ish/a month, could be less depending on your age/income...they have a website with pricing...comcast is the big internet provider, choices will probably be them or dsl through a phone provider, but i dont have a home phone (cell only) so i wouldnt know for sure...comcast sometimes has specials for the first 6 months for $20/month for existing cable customers...panera bread off old hickory blvd has free wifi

Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 95,540 times
Happy New Year!

So, looks like everything is set for me...the roommate (going to stay in Brentwood), the job, and the change of scenery. All I have to do is get over there.

You think driving from California to Nashville in 3 days is possible? I pretty much got my trip down: From my house to New Mexico to Arkansas to Nashville. (To=overnight stay)

Well, in Feb, my car is up for an annual registration renewal. Will it be a problem driving in TN with California License plates or should I apply registration to TN? According to my boss, it's cheaper there than here in California. If I pay now to get it renewed in California, it's $190. How much is it over there and what procedures I have to go through in order to get a TN license plate?

Not only that, in July, my CA driver's license is up for renewal as well. Same questions as above (do I need to take tests, difference between TN and CA, etc.)

Appreciated again with advice.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
In Nashville, it's $10 for the inspection fee, and $80 for tag renewal. I'm not sure what it is in Williamson County but it's probably similar. I don't know the answer to your other questions offhand Someone here who's moved to Tennessee can probably tell you. If not, you can call the Metro Nashville Trustee's office for information about registering your car . . . believe it or not, they are actually pretty helpful for a government agency. The Tennessee State Government can probably answer your question about driver's licenses.

I don't think I could drive from California to Tennessee in three days, but then I start getting really tired after about eight hours on the road and think it's better to stay at a cheap motel overnight. That's just me however. You may be able to start alert for longer than that.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:02 PM

10 posts, read 47,696 times
Default Nashville La characteristics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv723 View Post
Hi All,

Next month, I'll be moving to the Nashville area from Los Angeles (West Covina to be exact). I'm really excited exploring a new city so far away from where I was born and raised at.

So, I'm a young guy (mid 20s), already has a job waiting (a transfer), and doing this at my own expense.

I'm finding a good area to live in along with my dog, with a rent budget of $400-$600 a month and be close to work (less than 10 miles and a 20 min commute). The office is in Smyrna, which is south of Nashville from what I researched. The area has to be low-crime as well...

It's going to be my first time renting a place and is it just a deposit along with first and last months rent? I thought it's just the deposit and first month's.

I don't watch much TV but a fast internet connection is a must as I may have to connect to the office. So who are the providers? I think it's Comcast and AT&T but what is better, price-wise since my budget is going to be crippled for a few months while I settle in.

I wonder what places I can visit for the first time as well as the weekend nightlife to hang out.

Anyways, I am looking forward to drive 2000 miles to my new location. I hope I love it since 3 of my co-workers transferred and said they love it.

Thanks for the advise and recommendations in advance!
From California? Well the first thing you will have to get used to in nashville is the southern poverty. The poorest parts (NOT the most most crime filled) of Oakland/Richmond/LA is like the average part of nashville. Poor in Nashville is like undescribible in Ca. Antioch is like compton (NOT in crime but demographics and geo) except with more black people but less mexicans. For example compton is in south LA, Antioch is in south Nashville. Compton has about 90,000-100,000 people, so does Antioch. Compton has less than 50% white people, so does Antioch. Compton has many immigrants, so does Antioch and its far from the mexican border! East Nashville is worst than East Oakland(IN crime and poorness) and the projects in EAST NASHVILLE are more black and ghetto than anypart of Oakland. East nashville beats Oakland in crime and its where most of the crime in nashville comes from, just in that area, (NOT all of it but a lot of it) thats scary! Nashville has more muslims than any city in Ca or in the USA (except Detroit or Chicago). North Nashville is the poorest part of the town and probobly more poor than the poorest part of LA. North Nashville is also one of the african american sides of town and gets a lot of crime like East Nashville. South Nashville is the most diverse side of the city. It is more just as diverse as The bay( SF freamont okalnad san jose) if not more. South Nashville has a lot of immigrants and african americans have a really really HUGE presance their unlike most of the bay. South Nashville has blacks, wjites, mexicans, asians, bosnians, afghans, kuds, somalians, puerto ricans, indians(from india), american indians, and every other race. Prostitution in nashville is know where near california but the hot spots would be in isolated areas and East Nashville- the worst part of town. We have a district in North West Nashville called Bordeaux. Bordeaux is exactly like crenshaw. Bordeaux is about 93% african american. Bordeaux only has about 16,000 people. Our inglewood and your inglewood have a few same characteristics. Nashville's Inglewood has only a few dangerous spots compared to inglewoods and the demographics are about the same except inglewoodhas more black people. Nashville also has some semi ghettos like Madison and Gallaitin just like LA. I am sure you know what i mean because LA is filled with them, the only ones i can think of now is Carson and some parts of Long Beach. We love our Tennessee Titans just as much as you guys love your Raiders and 49ers. We dont worry about forest fires here, tornados are what cause trouble here. Gallatin was destroyed in lik 2005/2006. We also have rich parts like LA. Brentwood,Berry Hill, Green Hills, Franklin, Belle Meade, Goodletteville, Hendersonville, and countless more are just as rich as LA. These cities are like our Bel-Air, Beverly Hills, Santa Moncia, Hollywood, and all LA's other rich cities. Your Brentwood and Nashville's Brentwood are both extremely rich. We also have celeberties that recide here in the rich parts. Rodeo drive in LA is like Music row in Nashville. Nashville is getting taller buildings than LA. LA is a little bigger right noe but in late 08, early 09 we are getting a 70 story skyscraper that is a little bit bigger than the Chrystler building in NYC. The building is called the signature tower and it will be the 3rd highest building in ther USA next to the empire state building and the sears tower in chicago. We are also getting to other buildins made at the same time, but not as big. The gangs are een the same lol. Nashville has Bloods, Crips, MS13, BROWN PRIDE, SERANEOS, HOVVER, SCK, AND SEPERATE SETS OF BLOODS AND CRIPS ENEMY TO EACH OTHER. BUT IN NASHVILLE THEY DONT KILL EACH OTHER FOR STEPPING INTO ANOTHER ONES TURF NOT YET ANYWAY. NASHVILLES GANG UNIT IS DOING A VERY GOOD JOB.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
City expert, you say? Huh. Self-titled?

As a former Californian, I read your post with my mouth agape. I can't fathom where you get half of these comparisons.

Nashville's not perfect, but come ON!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
City expert, you say? Huh. Self-titled?

As a former Californian, I read your post with my mouth agape. I can't fathom where you get half of these comparisons.

Nashville's not perfect, but come ON!
well everything he said was true you have to admit that he is right about the povert compared to CA he is right about how our cities and ca's cities match and about the football teams and the gangs and stuff i have to give it up for him because the truth hurts but what he said was true and its clearly hurt a few people akm4 what is really wrong with his post? i couldnt find anything that was not true so therfore i say its a good post

Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
I think one has 90 days after moving here before needing to register vehicles and obtaining a TN license.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I guess the moderator gets to ban me for this this one . . . (I'd rather get banned than put up with this).

What a ****ing idiot.
Well look at you. Cussing, i have lived in Nashville and in LA. Compton, Carson, and Watts. So i think I would be right when i compare ok? So FU*K off 6!+(H.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
You're absolutely right, for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited by alleycat; 01-04-2008 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville