Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I don't blame anyone with such a huge financial advantage for making the decision either. If I were in such a position, I would likely do the same. But as you can see for the first post, concerns over culture, weather, and so on was mentioned right after the reason for moving here- cheap real estate.

I love Tennessee and Nashville. I have no problem with the culture, weather, and the fact that there isn't a Trader Joes on every corner. But if you are coming on here, wanting cheap housing but 'fear' the culture, then I think you need to evaluate your value system and deter,mine if a move here is really that great of an idea. Honestly- anyone that comes on here and immediately makes mention of 'concerns' over culture and the fact that this area will not be like wherever they came from should consider not moving here to begin with.

So to answer the OP post- yes- Nashville will not be like LA, the weather does get cold, it does have 4 distinct seasons, and yes- people here are pretty happy with how things are. You need to ask yourself some serious questions. If you are expecting this area to change for you, then it ain't happening. We do not mind newcomers, but you might want to actually like what we have here to start with. There- I've ranted enough.
Silverbox, I moved here from Horrible NJ. I always wanted to live here because I went to college here, many years ago. My husband was able to get a transfer here and the rest is history. We are here a little over a year now and TN has much to offer. Yes, I was able to get a much nicer home and with closing costs and real Estate fees on my house there I spent what I received, but have a much larger home. I also dragged my daughter here in her senior year of HS, but she did well and is now a freshman at MTSU.
This is my home and where I will stay. The decision we made was a good one. I never really listened to music before, but now my radio is tuned to a Country station. I love the Museums, Parthenon, and going to the Bluebird. There is so much to do here.
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I'm not judging anyone. I'm asking what you think would happen to an area if tons of wealthy people move in. Besides, you're from NJ, so perhaps you have a reason for being on a TN forum. Could it be because you too want a "cheap house"? In that case, I can see why it must not be that big a deal to you.
Silver, Have you ever been to the NJ forum, they hate it there and for very good reason. I don't think the houses in my area are that cheap, but coming from NJ you get more here for the same $ and the taxes are certainly cheaper here. I did not come here for that but came here for a better quality of life. I think if my husband did another 2 hour commute he would end up not making it to see his daughter graduate college.
I am on the Nashville/Brentwood border, on Nashville side.
A lot in NJ are leaving now because its not uncommon there to have $20,000 a year in Real Estate taxes. Some, really can't afford this anymore. They sometimes get a raise in the Thousands in a years time.
On the NJ talk Station they say " Will the Last one out, please close the door"
Even the politics in NJ is liberal democrat.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
kmw

25 posts, read 156,033 times
Even the politics in NJ is liberal democrat.[/quote]

What does this have to do with anything? Really!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 AM

29 posts, read 136,192 times
May want to think about other parts of the country where people actually welcome you there and want to "change"..."grow"..instead of the backwards ideas they seem to want to keep here!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 25,151 times
Lockeland Springs in East Nashville is the place for great older homes. Walking-distance, coolest owner-operated pubs and restaurants. Diverse hip population, lots of artists and musicians, even yuppie types... young and old... Lots of young families with young kids. Anywhere in Lockeland Springs (an historical district in East Nashville) is good. Great neighborhood for walking your dog and meeting friends at local establishments... the only owner operated organic / healthy grocery store in town is here - The Turnip Truck (Google them)... they sell local organics, too!

You could sell your house and buy in Lockeland Springs, (Google Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association, join their listserve and make some friends) save a crap-load of cash by NOT moving into a "McMansion" or giant/overpriced showplace with a big yard on the West side or Southside.

My neighbors moved from LA about 12 years ago - he for music business... They too had sold their house in LA for BIG bucks, bought here in the Lockeland Springs neighborhood... He later left the music business, and now they own a little very successful bakery down the block. They are living their dream. They are Jewish. My #1 song-writing partner is Jewish, lots of my art students and artists friends are Jewish... Yep, see them everyday. You'll have no problems being Jewish in Nashville. You won't stand out. My Jewish friends will laugh when I tell them about that concern of yours...LOL... No big deal.

It is so odd to me - a lifetime Nashvillian - to hear the preconceptions about Nashville... Oh, by the way, the controversial "...obnoxious gold statue of a civil war soldier..." was built on private property - to much local protest, even moreso since the site overlooks an interstate - by an ancient old fart spouting "Freedom of Speech."

I hope you move to Nashville. Good luck, and if you move to Lockeland Springs, I'll throw a "Welcome Party!" for you!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 25,151 times
Lockeland Springs in East Nashville is the place for great older homes. Walking-distance, coolest owner-operated pubs and restaurants. Diverse hip population, lots of artists and musicians, even yuppie types... young and old... Lots of young families with young kids. Anywhere in Lockeland Springs (an historical district in East Nashville) is good. Great neighborhood for walking your dog and meeting friends at local establishments... the only owner operated organic / healthy grocery store in town is here - The Turnip Truck (Google them)... they sell local organics, too!

You could sell your house and buy in Lockeland Springs, (Google Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association, join their listserve and make some friends) save a crap-load of cash by NOT moving into a "McMansion" or giant/overpriced showplace with a big yard on the West side or Southside.

My neighbors moved from LA about 12 years ago - he for music business... They too had sold their house in LA for BIG bucks, bought here in the Lockeland Springs neighborhood... He later left the music business, and now they own a little very successful bakery down the block. They are living their dream. They are Jewish. My #1 song-writing partner is Jewish, lots of my art students and artists friends are Jewish... Yep, see them everyday. You'll have no problems being Jewish in Nashville. You won't stand out. My Jewish friends will laugh when I tell them about that concern of yours...LOL... No big deal.

It is so odd to me - a lifetime Nashvillian - to hear the preconceptions about Nashville... Oh, by the way, the controversial "...obnoxious gold statue of a civil war soldier..." was built on private property - to much local protest, even moreso since the site overlooks an interstate - by an ancient old fart spouting "Freedom of Speech."

I hope you move to Nashville. Good luck, and if you move to Lockeland Springs, I'll throw a "Welcome Party!" for you!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:56 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,635,590 times
Don't be too hard on Stevedawg. His answer only shows his ignorance. After all, he says if you want organic food, buy it from an orchard or a farm. Obviously he doesn't understand the meaning of organic. Most orchards and farms aren't certified organic.

Stevedawg- If/when In-and-Out comes here, I'll buy you a combo and I bet you'll love it! I defy you to find the food at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods anything but high-quality and delicious. Not all change is bad!!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes721 View Post
well thought out and true....when we moved here from San Diego we had certain fears...not living anywhere but the west coast. mIt had nothing to do with our education stopping at the year 1967.
We wondered if the there might be baptist fanatics, worried that the bugs might be a big a birds,...I know it sounds silly...and certainly there are religious freaks and cockroaches in Southern CA...
It turns out that if there are fanatics...well we have not see them yet...
We are very tolerant...and hoped that we would find people who were similiar...whatever you want to do or believe is fine..just don't be pushy.
Good News...they are tolerant, open people here in TN...and I suspect everywhere...there is enough room for everyone...
When you leave your home grocery stores and food that you are used to....well, you long for them..
...the food here as described is wonderful...I especially love the pies and banana pudding...
I guess...just don't be too hard on us transplants....I like it here and want to stay...this ~southern culture~ is ok..
I love it here in TN. I moved here from NJ A little over a year ago. I would never go back, this is my home. I went to college here years ago, and when my husband asked if I wanted to move here I jumped at the chance.
For Gourmet food groceries here try Fresh Market on Franklin Ave, Brentwood.
I love the southern food here and I don't miss being run over with a shopping cart in Wegman's as I was in NJ.
Diane- If any Newbe Women want to meet New Friend's PM me for the Website of a Women's group here, lots of Activities and only $45 to Join. I have met people from all over that moved here.
Diane

Old 11-02-2007, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times
Default Whole Foods

Well, life is nearly complete in Nashville. Whole Foods has opened. Trader Joe's is seraching for a location. Not sure on the In and Out Burger, but that is probably better left unfound.

You can move here and realize it's a great city with lots of options, only a little safer than Venice Beach in most areas.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 PM

150 posts, read 620,030 times
Default People in Nashville WANT a Trader Joe's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawg View Post
Maybe people in Nashville don't want Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or an In and Out burger. If you're so concerned about organic food than go buy from an orchard or farm. Also broadcasting that I'll have a "ridiculous amount of money left over" might cause some resentment from the natives and reinforces the stereotype of a materialistic Californian.
Given that over 2600 people have signed the petition in the past 2 months, I would say that it is safe to say that people in Nashville DO want a Trader Joe's. People in Nashville (like me) are the ones who started the petition in the first place.

If it matters, I'm a TN Native that had the good fortune to live somewhere else for a little while and see some great retailers that I think would do well here.

I hope you will consider lightening up on the xenophobia, dude. Californians (and other transplants) coming to the Nashville area are one of the things helping the economy here (although you guys should haggle more on those house prices so we can continue to avoid that whole bubble thing, ok?).

Carol
http://tradersjoenashville.blogspot.com/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville