Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM

937 posts, read 2,890,593 times

Advertisements

I think if people can adapt to a simpler lifestyle, they may do fine. The only problem is not being near their family up north. My Brother-in-law is still tied to his mother's apron strings and he is 53 years old!! LOL

Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
I think they will do find. I'm a New York with an accent and my husband is originally from NY. He has the NY way of talking loud, etc... We never felt different being down here. At first we kept thinking will we fit in, but soon after we realized we do fit in and love it here.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
I am also a New Yorker strongly considering the same move. I've already made 2 visits and planning a third. Nashville appears to be very eclectic. However, it is like everywhere else. Most people were very kind and welcoming. Without mentioning my intention to relocate, one fellow asked me where I came from. When I told him New York, he made some highly disparaging comments, all based on out-dated stereotypes. Another told me that she thought that New York was backward because it didn't have a country music radio station. That normally would have strucken me as a funny comment, but she was very condescending about it.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,631,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am also a New Yorker strongly considering the same move. I've already made 2 visits and planning a third. Nashville appears to be very eclectic. However, it is like everywhere else. Most people were very kind and welcoming. Without mentioning my intention to relocate, one fellow asked me where I came from. When I told him New York, he made some highly disparaging comments, all based on out-dated stereotypes. Another told me that she thought that New York was backward because it didn't have a country music radio station. That normally would have strucken me as a funny comment, but she was very condescending about it.

You will find a certain number of jerks wherever you go. That's just life. Overall though, I believe the Nashville area is extremely warm and welcoming to transplants. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have the number of transplants that we have. They wouldn't stay. Lord knows I wouldn't have.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
You will find a certain number of jerks wherever you go. That's just life. Overall though, I believe the Nashville area is extremely warm and welcoming to transplants. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have the number of transplants that we have. They wouldn't stay. Lord knows I wouldn't have.

Agreed. By far, the majority of the people were very nice.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
Coney, I've never run into people saying that to me. Actually, when I went househunting and decided to have lunch in a local restaurant, the waiter asked where I was from and told me welcome to TN & looking forward to serving me again when I move here. He was a local person. In the 2 years I've been here, being a New Yorker has not bothered me at all.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 PM

253 posts, read 869,262 times
Ditto to all the comments, as long as you're not pooh-poohing Nashville to the local people and saying NY is so much better, you'll have no problems.
Everyone is warm & welcoming.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,370,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Um, I think you forgot to add 'charming,' 'friendly' and 'fantastically beautiful' to your statement.

Seriously though, any location is going to be what YOU make of it. I know many people who moved here from somewhere 'up North.' Those who love it here and report being welcomed by the 'natives' are also those who have positive attitudes and refrain from disparaging their new home, comparing everything from the schools to shopping choices to the weather to their former home.

People with negative attitudes who forever complain that our schools are sooooooo terrible, that public transportation is pathetic and shopping is anemic aren't really trying to embrace our culture or are just unable to understand it. They are somehow disappointed that Tennessee isn't just like home and can't wait to get out of here. Bless their hearts.

Tennessee is nothing like New York, Chicago, Boston or any other major city 'up North.' This is the SOUTH, people. It's a different way of life and culture and if can't embrace that concept then no, you won't fit in nor will you be happy here. And believe me, we'll be happy to hold the door for you on your way out.

Mary, not being like NY and NJ is a good thing!!! Being from Long Island, NY and moving here from Manalapan NJ, I find it refreshing here which I knew I would because I went to Austin Peay in Clarksville, TN . I was actually amazed with the change in Nashville from the 1970s until now.
If someone asks me my home, I say Nashville because in my heart it is now.
With both of my children living in Murfreesboro, I have my family and thats all that counts.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post
Ditto to all the comments, as long as you're not pooh-poohing Nashville to the local people and saying NY is so much better, you'll have no problems.
Everyone is warm & welcoming.
I was told off from a transplant here that I should not put down NJ. I said I prefered here and they thought I was crazy. That person is one that should leave as this is my home. I have not traveled there since I moved here except to change planes in Newark on my way to Barcelona last year. I hated even doing that!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Just wondering if New Yorkers are accepted down in the Nashville area. My bro-in-law and his wife are moving down in the next few weeks. He is a true New Yorker with all the New York traits.... Hmmm.... Will the locals accept them? His wife is sorta quiet and boring but he is loud!
They will as long as they act friendly back. Nashville is also made up of many transplants. I'm from Lawrence, LI, NY. I moved here from NJ, and my husbnd is type A and loud!! I'm more quiet but talk to everyone like the locals do. People in NJ hated it if you started talking to people on line in a store, here its welcome.
I will not be leaving here as this is my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville