Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM

155 posts, read 328,487 times

Advertisements

Escaping those high liberal taxes that have crippled NY and NJ

Old 11-18-2009, 03:52 PM

764 posts, read 2,550,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
If someone asks me my home, I say Nashville because in my heart it is now.
With both of my children living in Murfreesboro, I have my family and thats all that counts.
I know it's been a while now, but I'm still so happy your son was finally able to move down here, too! Your heart is complete and content having them both nearby.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
They will as long as they act friendly back. Nashville is also made up of many transplants. I'm from Lawrence, LI, NY. I moved here from NJ, and my husbnd is type A and loud!! I'm more quiet but talk to everyone like the locals do. People in NJ hated it if you started talking to people on line in a store, here its welcome.
I will not be leaving here as this is my home.
Lawrence? We're practically family. Heck, we may even be family (just joking). Did you go to school there? DM me if you like. I know Manalpan too. Came very close to living there.

I am not loud or aggressive at all. I should have been a librarian. However, I do have a strong Brooklynese accent which I hope softens a bit after living in Nashville for a while. During my visits to Nashville, I met quite a few people from the northeast. No one had any complaints.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
I was born in Brooklyn (Greenpoint) and as life takes courses that are sometimes destined ended up in Hermitage, TN (at age 21). Tuff move but worth it. Great place to live!!!! Different, oh yeah... But very warm and welcoming. As far as convenience/location, I couldn't imagine any place better than Hermitage which is very close to downtown, lakes, shopping, major interstates, etc... And, you would be surprised to know how many"New Yorkers" are here. I manage an apartment community in Hermitage right on the Wilson County line (not going to mention the community name- while proud,not my intention here) and I meet people daily from NY whom all seem happy to be here and as loyal as we are happy to run into fellow "New Yorkers". My assistant is also from NY (Long Island-no relation to me) and she has been here 20+ years, me 10 years. We have been working together for 4 yrs and we origionally met by chance at the local tanning bed. I can honestly say that if you are friendly, you will be met with the same. Whatever your choice, wishing you all the best in your move... I know it's not easy but is what you
make it. Good Luck!!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

145 posts, read 515,664 times
Greetings to my fellow New Yorkers. I was born in Jersey but all the rest of my family were in Brooklyn/Greenpoint (Italian Americans). I was visiting NY so often, I consider myself a native of both NY and NJ.

I have had mixed treatment to my heritage. And I found it especially prevalent while I've been job hunting these past few months after losing an entertainment job I loved in Nashville which I held for nearly 5 years. Thankfully I have overcome it and will be starting a new job soon. Not in entertainment, though, but at the HQ of a more stable company/industry.

I find that people who have also relocated here from other states are much more welcoming while the others are polite but not always sincere about it. Maybe I can just read people better, but I don't see Nashville to be as friendly as advertised.

Now I am NOT rude, loud, impatient (well, maybe impatient), but I do have a slight northern accent and I look Italian. Maybe I am also hyper sensitive, but I found myself much more welcomed in other states than I have in Tennessee (I've moved 12 times). It's getting better with time, but there's still room for improvement. I'm a really quiet person that keeps to myself so I don't understand the hostility.

I had a co-worker at my last job that was every awful stereotype you can list that is attributed to New Yorkers. He even annoyed me and he didn't last long at that job.

So I'd say be polite, remember the pace is slower here (patience!) and don't go telling everyone how much better certain things were in NY than they are here. It's OK to say it about the pizza (because it's true), but anything else will just tick someone off.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,370,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine11228 View Post
We are from New York and just got back from Nashville. We fell in love with the place and the people. We are thinking about moving out there. We are both quiet people. I'm a New Yorker and my husband is British. We think we would be very happy living over there. We were thinking about the Bellvue area maybe. We fell in love with Franklin too.
There are so many from England in Brentwood and Franklin.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleTNresident View Post
Greetings to my fellow New Yorkers. I was born in Jersey but all the rest of my family were in Brooklyn/Greenpoint (Italian Americans). I was visiting NY so often, I consider myself a native of both NY and NJ.

I have had mixed treatment to my heritage. And I found it especially prevalent while I've been job hunting these past few months after losing an entertainment job I loved in Nashville which I held for nearly 5 years. Thankfully I have overcome it and will be starting a new job soon. Not in entertainment, though, but at the HQ of a more stable company/industry.

I find that people who have also relocated here from other states are much more welcoming while the others are polite but not always sincere about it. Maybe I can just read people better, but I don't see Nashville to be as friendly as advertised.

Now I am NOT rude, loud, impatient (well, maybe impatient), but I do have a slight northern accent and I look Italian. Maybe I am also hyper sensitive, but I found myself much more welcomed in other states than I have in Tennessee (I've moved 12 times). It's getting better with time, but there's still room for improvement. I'm a really quiet person that keeps to myself so I don't understand the hostility.

I had a co-worker at my last job that was every awful stereotype you can list that is attributed to New Yorkers. He even annoyed me and he didn't last long at that job.

So I'd say be polite, remember the pace is slower here (patience!) and don't go telling everyone how much better certain things were in NY than they are here. It's OK to say it about the pizza (because it's true), but anything else will just tick someone off.
You mean in all this time you have not found the good Pizza Places?
Joey's House of Pizza, Maryland Farms, Brentwood, Brooklyn Natives own the place, and if you come in at the right time you may see them yelling at each other, lol http://www.joeyshouseofpizza.com/

My husband has no problems here being 100% Italian. I have met many natives here that are Italian, so I don't know who you are running into. Nashville has so many different cultures living here.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 AM

145 posts, read 515,664 times
A trip to Brentwood would be something like 70 miles roundtrip for me.....for pizza? I love a good pizza but it takes a whole lotta love to make that journey. Any suggestions for places closer to White House, TN?

To Hendersonville NY'rs: How is that pizza place that took over the Saylor's pizza restaurant? I think the new business is called Papa's.

I can't eat most franchise pizza. It makes me sick (literally). Must be poor food handling practices or something. Just about the only pizza fix I can accept now is Sbarro's in the Rivergate Mall (just about any mall). They originated in NY.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleTNresident View Post
A trip to Brentwood would be something like 70 miles roundtrip for me.....for pizza? I love a good pizza but it takes a whole lotta love to make that journey. Any suggestions for places closer to White House, TN?

To Hendersonville NY'rs: How is that pizza place that took over the Saylor's pizza restaurant? I think the new business is called Papa's.

I can't eat most franchise pizza. It makes me sick (literally). Must be poor food handling practices or something. Just about the only pizza fix I can accept now is Sbarro's in the Rivergate Mall (just about any mall). They originated in NY.
I did not realize you lived all the way in Whitehouse. The closet I know for NY pizza is downtown Nashville.
House of Pizza - Home
I have not been there, but my son has and says they are from NY/NJ and its said it was wonderful.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
I just have to say that Joey's is worth the ride. I happen to live 35 minutes away (70 minutes round trip) to Joey's. We go there whenever we make the trip down to Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville