Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Yesterday 2 "two old Fogey friends" of mine, my Brittany and I drove 460 miles (15 hours) through several mountain ranges...over several "passes" and through several towns and had the good fortune to see the following:.....................

.....left the Bitterroot Valley at 8am...drove up the Skalkaho Road over Skalkaho Pass (Sapphire Mountains) and down into the Phillipsburg and Flink Creek Valley and through the Long John Mountains into Phillipsburg, MT....ate breakfast and then proceeded on ....................................and on...............and on........................

Totals of what we observed during the one day trip:

.....about 50 Antelope;;about 66 deer;...about 40 Cow Elk and one BIG Bull in full velvet & 3 spikes(up close & personal)--like 12 inches in front of bumper when a calf lost her footing as she and mama bolted across in front of us.......One beautiful Grey Fox; a couple of coyotes; 2 Bald Eagles; at least 35 nesting Osprey on their nests with babies; 5 Tundra Swans and hundreds of Canada Geese & other waterfowl...........And One Western Diamond Back rattlesnake that we ran over on the Highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
That's an amazing trip and a whole lot of animals to see in one day! Pics?

.......Thanks to you "Dallas Kitty" for your comment.......................Re pics-----I'm sorry and embarrassed to admit I have never learned how to attach photos to my posts

The abundance of a tremendous variety of wild-life and birds in this portion of Montana is truly astounding. I have been blessed to live here for 33 years and being an-outdoor-nut in my 81st year.................I have
seen and experienced "things" in the outdoors that "Mother Nature" has provided, that most "city dwellers" would "simply-not-believe"....................Believe me, I REALLY do realize how fortunate I am,......AND in "NO_WAY" am I critical or demeaning toward those who have not "lived" the "out-door-type-life" that I choose. I have never lived in a city, except for (5) years immediately after getting out of college................and I chose a working career (40 yrs) that required that I travel (into the "boonies") of approx 15 western states, Alaska & western Canada. Thus, I was able to be in an "outdoor-type-enviroment" virtually all of my working career and have continued to live my retirement years.........as the phrase goes: "Out in the Boonies".........I will not bore you with examples of some of my encounters with wildlife not only here in western Montana, but my "memories of certain situations" in Alaska, the Yukon, B.C.; Sask. etc.....the memories of those "wildlife/outdoor" situations are "worth their weight in Gold".

Sorry that I "got-so-long-winded"............as "we-get-older", we tend to do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Yea! Just achieved 92% on my tax quiz. Now a brief break before starting to review for the exam. Taking a "breather" with some hot green tea and thee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I wish there was a way to stop the carnage that does happen.
Actually, there is according to trials I read about more than ten years ago. Some areas have built land bridges over areas where there was high death counts of wildlife, and fenced the wild areas from the highways. The animals used the bridges and road kill rates were dramatically reduced. People just have to care enough to make their local authorities care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Mama doe came just far enough onto the scary road for encouragement. Mother love!
Well, some mothers anyway.

I checked out the photo you posted. I wonder how they accomplished the animation.

Have a nice day, folks.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Quote:
......Thanks to you "Dallas Kitty" for your comment.......................Re pics-----I'm sorry and embarrassed to admit I have never learned how to attach photos to my posts

The abundance of a tremendous variety of wild-life and birds in this portion of Montana is truly astounding. I have been blessed to live here for 33 years and being an-outdoor-nut in my 81st year.................I have
seen and experienced "things" in the outdoors that "Mother Nature" has provided, that most "city dwellers" would "simply-not-believe"....................Believe me, I REALLY do realize how fortunate I am,......AND in "NO_WAY" am I critical or demeaning toward those who have not "lived" the "out-door-type-life" that I choose. I have never lived in a city, except for (5) years immediately after getting out of college................and I chose a working career (40 yrs) that required that I travel (into the "boonies") of approx 15 western states, Alaska & western Canada. Thus, I was able to be in an "outdoor-type-enviroment" virtually all of my working career and have continued to live my retirement years.........as the phrase goes: "Out in the Boonies".........I will not bore you with examples of some of my encounters with wildlife not only here in western Montana, but my "memories of certain situations" in Alaska, the Yukon, B.C.; Sask. etc.....the memories of those "wildlife/outdoor" situations are "worth their weight in Gold".

Sorry that I "got-so-long-winded"............as "we-get-older", we tend to do that
It takes a lot of stamina for most anyone of any age to spend 15 hours traveling in one day. You're 81 and you wrote your fellow travelers were similar age and it is just incredible for all of you to make the trip. You chose a career that made it easy for you to see places you enjoy. Not many of us manage to do that.

You can always share your nature memories past or present and encounters with wildlife on this thread or any great stories on the "Something to say, Anything" thread!

If you already have pics uploaded to your PC, it's easy breezy to add them to a post and lots of people here can help with that. Just let us know!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Actually, there is according to trials I read about more than ten years ago. Some areas have built land bridges over areas where there was high death counts of wildlife, and fenced the wild areas from the highways. The animals used the bridges and road kill rates were dramatically reduced. People just have to care enough to make their local authorities care.
I'm glad to hear there is a solution that at least helps.

I'd never heard of such a thing and imagine most others haven't either. If more people were aware, more people could let their local authorities know.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Some areas have built land bridges over areas where there was high death counts of wildlife, and fenced the wild areas from the highways. The animals used the bridges and road kill rates were dramatically reduced. People just have to care enough to make their local authorities care.

Regarding the above:..........................I can only speak for the area of western Montana within approx 100 miles of Missoula, but I can think of at least 20 (maybe more) both "over-passes and "under-passes" that have been incorporated into the design of "reconstruction" of various highways strictly for wildlife of various species to travel from one side of a highway to the other. In many cases the state agencies have installed "motion-detector' cameras in these under passes and over-passes and periodicly publish pictures of various species of wildlife that routinely use these structures. ,,,,...Very interesting pictures.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear there is a solution that at least helps.

I'd never heard of such a thing and imagine most others haven't either. If more people were aware, more people could let their local authorities know.
Sadly, most media would prefer to inform their readers about more negative aspects of life, or sports, rather than ways that others are working to improve the world for the world. I found many, many years ago that one has to go to trade journals and other venues for "news." Another great reason for this thread -- right? 8)

Quote:

Regarding the above:..........................I can only speak for the area of western Montana within approx 100 miles of Missoula, but I can think of at least 20 (maybe more) both "over-passes and "under-passes" that have been incorporated into the design of "reconstruction" of various highways strictly for wildlife of various species to travel from one side of a highway to the other. In many cases the state agencies have installed "motion-detector' cameras in these under passes and over-passes and periodicly publish pictures of various species of wildlife that routinely use these structures. ,,,,...Very interesting pictures.
I loved Western MT, aside from Butte, and I even liked it (except for the Pit). I think the people in MT understand living with the land better, and respect the animals -- except maybe for the wolves and coyotes. Then, again, it's hard to be romantic about either when you see what they do to livestock that one depends on. (I think farmers feel the same about rabbits and deer!)

Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Quote:
..Regarding the above:..........................I can only speak for the area of western Montana within approx 100 miles of Missoula, but I can think of at least 20 (maybe more) both "over-passes and "under-passes" that have been incorporated into the design of "reconstruction" of various highways strictly for wildlife of various species to travel from one side of a highway to the other. In many cases the state agencies have installed "motion-detector' cameras in these under passes and over-passes and periodicly publish pictures of various species of wildlife that routinely use these structures. ,,,,...Very interesting pictures.
Montana underpass photos: CSKT - Fish, Wildlife, Recreation and Conservation

Click on the arrow under the top picture to scroll through: bears, deer, puma, foxes, etc.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Click on the arrow under the top picture to scroll through: bears, deer, puma, foxes, etc.
Thanks! You just made my day especially delightful.

Thanks, Griz, for telling us about it so BJH could find it.

'K, NOW I am going to study....

Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Lots of animals using their very own tunnel! Nice! Thanks for the mention, Montana Griz and thanks for finding the link, bjh!

Quote:

Quote:

Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Two juvenile fiddler crabs sparing..both are a little larger than a aspirin.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature