Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times

Advertisements

Moore Hen with a chick...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
The problem at the Space Center with the Turkey Vulture was they would pick up the road kill and take it up into the Vehicle Assemble Building. The home for the shuttle while being processed before heading too the launch pad. So we would have road kill - rodents- snakes - bird poo on the beams inside the building which would fall down on the Shuttle & workers.
They would leave the doors open year around too climate control the building if not it would condensate and rain inside the building..Back in the mid 90's they had special netting made too close off the upper door area keeping the Vultures out. Like any good Vulture they would ride the air currents on the 540 foot high building,every once in awhile they would go head long into the side of the building and spiral down like the Red Baron... splat!
I'm from Titusville (left in 1975) and there were lots of stories about critters coming into job sites at KSC. You already know the island is a wildlife refuge but here's a link with some detail for anyone interested.
NASA - John F. Kennedy Space Center - Alligators and Rocketships

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

We think we have problems!
I share kitty's attitude toward roaches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

I finally have some blue flowers, (no green thumb at all!), but my indoor house plants do okay.

I love blue and used to have Morning Glory outside the house, but it died from the drought.
Beautiful flowers!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:

Quote:
Moore Hen with a chick...
I would've said "Coot"! Where's that danged field guide when I need it!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM

American Coot

Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I would've said "Coot"! Where's that danged field guide when I need it!
Good field guide .. Birds

Old 08-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I'm from Titusville (left in 1975) and there were lots of stories about critters coming into job sites at KSC. You already know the island is a wildlife refuge but here's a link with some detail for anyone interested.
NASA - John F. Kennedy Space Center - Alligators and Rocketships

I share kitty's attitude toward roaches!

Beautiful flowers!
I drove vehicles and equipment 20+ years at the Cape. I could tell you horror stories on what was in on or under the vehicle..

Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,762,532 times
My Morning Glory vines are doing well- I am getting some shade and it's a nice place to have coffee in the morning....they always grow in clock wise spiral...always to the right - it reminds me of the concept of natural flow- the idea of righteousness...There are a lot of plants on my roof top garden...and a few tropical trees I set outside every year...I am rooting a couple of broken off branches - in a large crystal vase...The water is always filled to the brim...Bees and wasps like to sit on the edge and drink...

Being in the center of the city the insects and birds really like coming around..It seems that the bees don't just gather nectar but have taken to playing- they dash about- go for a little drink like children at a fountain- then they go back to what appears to be a mixture of work and play.

Once in a while a young sparrow will land on the edge and stretch it's little neck upward to have a curious look - as if to say..."This place looks interesting and comfortable" Often wondered if sparrows were just seed eaters- a moth flew into my garden being chased by a sparrow...It lost sight of the insect for a moment and sat there till it saw some movement- but it gave up and did not waste time when the insect disappeared....I have noticed that my Morning Glory vines avoid wrapping around the Sun flowers...it's as if the Sun flower has a resistance and sends off a mild poison to discourage being grown on.

At times I will see a wayward vine and will gently train it to go where I would like it to be...The hard part is - that the temperature on the roof can get so intense - that it takes three heavy waterings to keep things going- It's an artificial environment ...and takes stewardship of nature to keep it going- But in the morning when I open up my back kitchen door...I have a little heaven...and at night....I view the odd city star bright enough to come through the vines...I am proud of what I have achieved...the rest of the roof tops are barren....Maybe next year I can live in a place where nature and I don't have to struggle- a place with soil - a place where my feet can stand on the ground.

My greatest delight is the sparrow and the odd crow that flies by calling my name...as if they remember me from my childhood when I saved an injured crow...and now the grandchildren thank me...

Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,762,532 times
That is the softer side of me- the real me- the private person....My son is proud to bring his friends over...the daughters drop by to sit out back and have a drink before they go clubbing...once in a while my x - will sit with me as I serve her breakfast...I would like to get out of the city this summer but - I am afraid it will all die....Nothing worse than a loser surrounded by dead brown things- I take pride in generating life- in people -animals and plants...It's all about being pro-life in a real way

Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
American Coot ...Good field guide ... Birds
Thanks, Tin Man! You rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My Morning Glory vines are doing well- I am getting some shade and it's a nice place to have coffee in the morning....they always grow in clock wise spiral...always to the right - it reminds me of the concept of natural flow- the idea of righteousness...There are a lot of plants on my roof top garden...and a few tropical trees I set outside every year...I am rooting a couple of broken off branches - in a large crystal vase...The water is always filled to the brim...Bees and wasps like to sit on the edge and drink...
..... That is the softer side of me- the real me- the private person....I take pride in generating life- in people -animals and plants...It's all about being pro-life in a real way
Yes, it is, and I like this soft side of you.

Thanks for sharing your garden with us.

We had morning glories in Michigan.

Here in the Seattle metro area there is a similar vine that threatens to take over, but it is white. They call it bind weed. It can consume a neighborhood and spreads by seed, and roots. When we lived on Dexter, there was so much of it to eradicate that I worked entire days for months. I dug down so deep into the soil to get the roots that the neighbors thought I was running a new sewer line. I took wheel barrels of it out of there -- truck loads. I sifted the soil -- lots of clay, and picked out every last piece I could find on the corner lot. For the three years we were there I pulled that stuff out -- and it still came back. Then one day I learned that once they flower and go to seed that the seed last years and THEN germinate. Devious little suckers.

Still, after all that, I LOVE to see morning glories.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Eeeuuuuuuu!

That is One BIG CoookaRaaacha!

Looks like that one's been climbing over our food surfaces for a very, very long time! Yuck.

I don't like spiders or cockroaches! Snakes - eah! Insects other than bees in general are not my favorite beasties.
It's hard to like many bugs. Some have obvious functions, bees, spiders, etc. Roaches? Their function is to spread germs and gross us out. But did you know if a roach is touched by a human it will groom itself for hours afterwards to rid itself of *our* ick factor?! What nerve!

Quote:
I drove vehicles and equipment 20+ years at the Cape. I could tell you horror stories on what was in on or under the vehicle..
We're listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature