Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

BTW -- I absolutely LOVED GA. How lucky for you to live there!
............Can't help but ask:..........................

Anybody spent any time on Saint Simon's Island? If I was younger, I'd figure out a way to spend at least 2 months every winter in that area. Very cordial folks and excellent southern cookin'.

About 5 winters ago, I spent several winter months in that area (Jekyll Island, Sea Island & Little St Simon's). Beat's the hell out of Montana winters.

Really enjoyed them all including coastal towns like Darien, Brunswick and Saint Mary's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Wonderful pic! I see four turtles and the beautiful goose is watching!
That's how many I count. A handful of food pellets brought them over to a bridge over a pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I'm glad they tranquilized him instead of overreacting with guns. As a youth he just hadn't learn to stay away from humans . . . until now.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Just a little bit of FWIT info regarding Foxes (and some other animals we see occasionaly) & Rabies!! Going back to 2002, USDA figures show the following as to the "%" of recorded cases and the source. ...Racoons are at 38%
Great! A mother and her three grown offspring just walked the top of our fence to the neighbor's yard behind us. DH was excited to see them doing their "tight-rope" walk... and (after reading this post) I was scared Bigun would wake up and go after them!

(They were cute, though... big, and very fat, but cute. )

Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I'm glad they tranquilized him instead of overreacting with guns. As a youth he just hadn't learn to stay away from humans . . . until now.
agreed. it wouldn't have been surprising if someone started just blasting away at him

another adorable kitteh:

Burned bobcat kitten rescued from Chips Fire

Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,310,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
............Can't help but ask:..........................

Anybody spent any time on Saint Simon's Island? If I was younger, I'd figure out a way to spend at least 2 months every winter in that area. Very cordial folks and excellent southern cookin'.

About 5 winters ago, I spent several winter months in that area (Jekyll Island, Sea Island & Little St Simon's). Beat's the hell out of Montana winters.

Really enjoyed them all including coastal towns like Darien, Brunswick and Saint Mary's.
I grew up in Florida, and my Mama's brother and his family lived in St.Mary's, Ga. so we were up there often as a kid. Later they moved to South Carolina, as did my Mama after my Dad passed away in 1980. But now I live in Georgia and we love the coast. Tybee Island is a favored destination for us. It's right next to Savannah. I adore Savannah! Especially down at the Cotton wharf on the river. They made it into a real tourist attraction years ago, but it's a great place to go anyway. Shops and restaurants of every kind you can imagine and the CANDY STORES!!!! Oh my mercy me! White chocolate heaven! I love watching them make the candies too! And bakeries! I'd just move right in if they'd let me get away with it!
St.Simon's island is wonderful. We have taken the family there many times.
Darien is well known for their shrimp boats and I love being able to get shrimp there fresh from the sea. When we travel down that way, I always bring our coffin sized cooler to load up on all the goodness from the sea! Just plain awesome!
Another great place to stop along the way is called, "Benton Lee's" which is a hole in the wall kind of place that serves up steaks that would make all vegan/vegitarians run away screaming! The town to find this incredible, amazing, delicious and wonderous establishment for true carnivors is in Uvalda, Ga. Here's a link. Benton Lees Steakhouse | Contact Us
If you like to watch "Swamp People", Benton Lee's had Troy and his son there recently.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:58 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,594 times
Quote:
agreed. it wouldn't have been surprising if someone started just blasting away at him
another adorable kitteh:

Nice rescue! This paragraph got to me:

Not wanting to disrupt a wild animal from nature, the crew did a quick assessment of the kit and tried to walk away. But she began to follow the sound of their footsteps, and would curl up on Hair’s boots every time they would stop.

The team did the right thing bringing her in. The mother most likely dead from the fire.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Wilfong View Post
Tybee Island is a favored destination for us. It's right next to Savannah. I adore Savannah! Especially down at the Cotton wharf on the river. They made it into a real tourist attraction years ago, but it's a great place to go anyway. Shops and restaurants of every kind you can imagine and the CANDY STORES!!!! Oh my mercy me! White chocolate heaven! I love watching them make the candies too! And bakeries! I'd just move right in if they'd let me get away with it
There were two places in the South I tried to get DH to buy to relocate: one was on Tybee. He loved the beach.

Quote:
Nice rescue! ... The team did the right thing bringing her in. The mother most likely dead from the fire.
Yes, definitely. I hope they will be able to reintroduce her later.

I worked in the backyard for three hours this morning, accompanied by the "chick-a-dee-dee-dees" as they went from the neighbor's trees along our fence to my shrubs, honeysuckle, sumac, and on to the photinia. My insect populations must've provided a banquet from the way they were chittering and peeping.

I moved an old section of wood from the base of my rugosa rose, and about a hundred little spiders came shooting out! I dropped it and jumped back, watching them scurry around. When things slowed a bit I carefully picked it up and then walked as fast as possible to its new location at the base of a cedar. Miraculously, I am free from any bites.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I moved an old section of wood from the base of my rugosa rose, and about a hundred little spiders came shooting out! I dropped it and jumped back, watching them scurry around. When things slowed a bit I carefully picked it up and then walked as fast as possible to its new location at the base of a cedar. Miraculously, I am free from any bites.
I would have peed my pants! That's like a scene from a scary movie!

Your beach pics are divine!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
...Your beach pics are divine!
Why, thanks Miz Kitty!

Bigun was pretty adamant after lunch that since he didn't get his morning walk... an afternoon walk was in order so I loaded him in the car to go down the hill where we could walk in the shade of the Sammamish River Trail. Lol. He was sniffing around in the tall grasses and the mown area along the trail when suddenly he stopped and dove face first into a clump of dried grass -- only to pull back and sit down staring -- at the little brown rodent that leapt out at him! Before he had time to react it scurried into the deep grass, leaving my dog sitting there staring at the space in -- wonderment?

It must've scared the crap out of him because for awhile after that he just walked along beside me, looking but not sniffing.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:

another adorable kitteh:

Burned bobcat kitten rescued from Chips Fire
That's something we don't often hear about, the affect on wildlife of all these fires! It would be bad enough, if they were caused by nature. Decades ago we didn't have these raging wildfires. Why now? Some have said they are arson. If so, there's a special place in hell for those killing people and animals deliberately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature