Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:44 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It's now come to the point where we need to start considering metal detectors at the entrances of every public building.
I hope because of someone's evil that we don't begin giving up all of our freedoms and liberties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 PM

217 posts, read 879,033 times
Sending my prayers from Florida...

Old 12-06-2007, 01:08 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,135 times
My heart goes out to everyone that was affected by this horrible event. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
I give big hugs to the women that was trying so hard to be a good influence in the gunmans life and trying to help him.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 AM

7 posts, read 20,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It's now come to the point where we need to start considering metal detectors at the entrances of every public building.
You know, as inconvenient as that may be, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it cuts down on the risk of someone being able to have access to a place to cause mass carnage, so be it. Enough is enough. No one should have to worry about going shopping at a mall or going to school to obtain an education. I'm tired of this crap happening with the frequency it seems to be happening across the country.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drehood View Post
You know, as inconvenient as that may be, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it cuts down on the risk of someone being able to have access to a place to cause mass carnage, so be it. Enough is enough. No one should have to worry about going shopping at a mall or going to school to obtain an education. I'm tired of this crap happening with the frequency it seems to be happening across the country.
My thoughts and heart are with the families of this tragedy also.

I don't know this particular malls policy but most malls make it illegal to carry guns even if you have a permit. This makes them perfect places for this kind of horrible thing to happen because people cannot protect themselves.

It's beyond my range of thought how anyone can just slaughter innocent people like this. What has our society come to that our youth see this as the only answer?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
My thoughts are with everyone touched, directly and indirectly, by this tragedy.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
jeepejeep. . . yes Nebraska does have a concealed carry law. However the Westroads Mall where the killings took place has signs at all the entrances notifying everyone that "Weapons are not allowed". The Nebraska CCW law lets individual businesses make that decision.

All those signs WestRoads had posted sure did a lot to stop this didn't they?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Yeah, the guy was willing to cold bloodedly murder 8 people...I don't think a "no guns" sign would have made a difference. Besides...there is one.

People need to remember that mass murders like this have actually been occurring throughout our nation's history. I don't think anyone can explain it or say it happened for this reason or that reason. I don't think its indicative of a trend in society...I think its a function of increased population and increased media coverage. 100 years ago the Virginia Tech tragedy would have been a few articles in the newspapers in the midwest.

The truth is that is was an act of a cowardly and sick sick individual. Giving up our personal liberties in order to "feel" more safe is not the answer.

The reality is that when society gives up personal liberties you are effectively giving up control and allowing someone else to take care of you, that is not an answer to this type of behavior. This psycho would have found a way to cause carnage regardless of the safeguards implemented.

Innocent and good Americans, by giving up their liberties, will not curtail the acts of madmen.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
jeepejeep. . . yes Nebraska does have a concealed carry law. However the Westroads Mall where the killings took place has signs at all the entrances notifying everyone that "Weapons are not allowed". The Nebraska CCW law lets individual businesses make that decision.

All those signs WestRoads had posted sure did a lot to stop this didn't they?
You are right, Nebraska does allow concelled carry. If those signs had not been there is there a chance a law-abiding/trained person might have had their concelled weapon. Never know, but if so, they might have save a life.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:31 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,067 times
Please know you are in our hearts....this tragedy can happen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska