Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times

Advertisements

Income tax is a tax on production. RE taxes are a tax on consumption. To me that is a very important distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
It's a totally different chain than whatever used to be in California. It's an old Mass.-based company and used to be solely in Mass. (often under the family name Demoulas - that's what I grew up calling it), but now they're in NH (seem to open new stores here frequently) and there is at least one in Maine.

Edit to add - People like it because of the prices, and the newest locations are pretty nice as far as basic grocery stores go. But unless people are extremely supermarket-deprived, it's not the sort of grocery store people travel to for the "experience." (In contrast to, say, a Wegmans.) Many of them are pretty dreary, in fact.
The ones in California were part of Kroger, which has Ralphs as well.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:29 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Income tax is a tax on production. RE taxes are a tax on consumption. To me that is a very important distinction.

Income taxes are a tax on sweat. RE taxes in NH are monetary transfers to people with children.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:01 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
RE taxes in NH are monetary transfers to people with children.

Yes, but, that's not the fault of people who have children, and NH is in dire need of younger residents. The way of funding education is ridiculous and unsustainable, and the costs of education are also totally out of control. If there were no other component to property taxes except local and state education, our annual taxes would still be over $5500, and we have a modest house. Doable now while working, much more difficult when retired.

One could also say that property taxes are taxes on wealth, except that in most cases, the "wealth" is actually partially or even mostly held by a bank, not by the "owner" of the property.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:25 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
the costs of education are also totally out of control.
This is the root of the problem. Until this is fixed no amount of creating, shifting, or disguising taxes is going to improve anyone's standard of living. Only getting the cost under control will help. If you don't believe that, find a resident of Connecticut and ask them how well creating an income tax has worked out for them.

Until costs are contained, there are beautiful towns in NH with low taxes. There are states that have allocated their tax burden differently. Choose whatever works best for your own situation. Turning New Hampshire into a high tax state isn't the answer.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:23 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
This is the root of the problem. Until this is fixed no amount of creating, shifting, or disguising taxes is going to improve anyone's standard of living. Only getting the cost under control will help. If you don't believe that, find a resident of Connecticut and ask them how well creating an income tax has worked out for them.

Until costs are contained, there are beautiful towns in NH with low taxes. There are states that have allocated their tax burden differently. Choose whatever works best for your own situation. Turning New Hampshire into a high tax state isn't the answer.

I'm definitely not advocating for an income tax. I agree a major part of the solution is cutting costs, I just don't see that happening. The only time that seems to happen is in very property-poor towns with low-income residents. When people get truly desperate, they are willing to cut back on education, but they can only cut so much in the current system and it barely makes a dent on the tax rates in those town. I do continue to think that funding education entirely on the backs of property owners (and yes, indirectly, renters... but they pay much less) is not a sustainable system but I can't think of a "better" way to tax.

The problem with many of the low-tax towns is that the home prices are higher than elsewhere (though not always by a huge amount), and if people are looking at their bottom line now, rather than down the line when their mortgage is paid off, they might feel it's not worth it. (Although, I'd rather be paying a higher mortgage than money to the town/state which I will never get back.) And, a lot of them aren't close to many jobs (or to someone's current job which may be a great and stable job.) There are definitely situations which will work out for some people, though. And in those cases it's amazing to see the difference in taxes one family versus another might pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire