Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 PM

117 posts, read 127,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Pal ,except for a few things I'm about as conservative as they come.You seem to be about as big a Sad Sac as they come. Lighten up , volunteer somewhere ,hike the woods. I think I saw you want to move to Portland Oregon ,Geesh buy a mask and join Antifa when you get there I think you will fit right in.k:
Know what, I just might. I got a nice gray, blue and red ski mask, looks very hot.

Those Proudboy idiots are really getting on my nerves, so is Gavin. I sure as hell don't consider that group my brothers and their token pet nonwhites they gotta parade around to go "look I'm not Racist!, we're all brothers!" its bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:45 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
OP, it sounds like you would do better in a more urban environment. Maybe Portland is it, but there are other good cities other than NYC, LA, San Francisco. Once you get your bearings, you might want to look into some of them.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:43 AM

574 posts, read 382,574 times
Thank you for trying to disuade me from moving to NH, OP... But thankfully, it did not work.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:57 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
NH is great if you like astronomical property taxes, plus one of the highest costs of living in the nation (for example, we pay more for electricity than any state, I believe)--as well as a minimal number of sunny days and an endless winter full of cold, ice & snowstorms. It isn't a friendly place unless you've lived here for 20 generations; sometimes not even then. The population is skewed toward old folk, so forget finding any youngsters to help you out for a healthy fee (forget hiring anyone for anything other than uber-costly projects). There's also the benefit of the few restaurants clustered in Portsmouth or Manchester, where parking is hard to find.

Southern NH was taken over by Mass. politicians, who threw out fiscal responsibility long ago, and they are happily taxing anyone who isn't pulling in over $100,000 a year out of their homes - and that's pretty much everyone who's retired (unless you work for government, naturally, who still have great pensions).

I can't wait until I'm moved into my retirement property over 1,000 miles from NH, where I can live like Bill Gates for the cost of my property taxes here.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 AM

500 posts, read 635,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
NH is great if you like astronomical property taxes, plus one of the highest costs of living in the nation (for example, we pay more for electricity than any state, I believe)--as well as a minimal number of sunny days and an endless winter full of cold, ice & snowstorms. It isn't a friendly place unless you've lived here for 20 generations; sometimes not even then. The population is skewed toward old folk, so forget finding any youngsters to help you out for a healthy fee (forget hiring anyone for anything other than uber-costly projects). There's also the benefit of the few restaurants clustered in Portsmouth or Manchester, where parking is hard to find.

Southern NH was taken over by Mass. politicians, who threw out fiscal responsibility long ago, and they are happily taxing anyone who isn't pulling in over $100,000 a year out of their homes - and that's pretty much everyone who's retired (unless you work for government, naturally, who still have great pensions).

I can't wait until I'm moved into my retirement property over 1,000 miles from NH, where I can live like Bill Gates for the cost of my property taxes here.
Hi, I often chime in on these forums with facts and figures, to defray misleading antidotal personal stories. Just want to clarify some things, for those reading the above post.

- Even factoring in "astronomical property taxes," you still pay less state and local taxes in NH than 45 other states.

- New Hampshire is 16th highest for cost of living in the U.S. I guess some might consider that "one of the highest in the nation," though.

- New Hampshire has 198 sunny days per year, while the national average is 205 sunny days per year. I guess some might consider this "minimal number of sunny days," though.

- NH has four seasons, not "an endless winter full of snow and ice." Granted, NH does get snow four months a year though, which provides opportunities for super outdoor fun.

- NH is one of the friendliest places in the U.S. I've lived in four other states, and driven through 40+ states multiple times, and find the people of NH awesome.

- NH has restaurants all over the state, not just in Manchester and Portsmouth, and parking in NH is a breeze and "traffic" is laughable.

Grass is always greener. I chose NH over the other 50 states. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Winter time

Last edited by LeviDunn; 11-02-2018 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2018, 09:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Hi, I often chime in on these forums with facts and figures, to defray misleading antidotal personal stories. Just want to clarify some things, for those reading the above post.

- Even factoring in "astronomical property taxes," you still pay less state and local taxes in NH than 45 other states.

- New Hampshire is 16th highest for cost of living in the U.S. I guess some might consider that "one of the highest in the nation," though.

- New Hampshire has 198 sunny days per year, while the national average is 205 sunny days per year. I guess some might consider this "minimal number of sunny days," though.

- NH has four seasons, not "an endless winter full of snow and ice." Granted, NH does get snow four months a year though, which provides opportunities for super outdoor fun.

- NH is one of the friendliest places in the NH. I've lived in four other states, and driven through 40+ states multiple times, and find the people of NH awesome.

- NH has restaurants all over the state, not just in Manchester and Portsmouth, and parking in NH is a breeze and "traffic" is laughable.

Grass is always greener. I chose NH over the other 50 states. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Winter time
Spot on, thanks for writing that up so I didn't have to!

Old 11-02-2018, 06:48 PM

89 posts, read 126,201 times
My family and I lived in NH for over 10 years and while I can say it was a good experience overall I am glad to be gone (as of last month). The people I met in our neighborhood and at work were always nice and pleasant people but once I left work or home it was nothing but impolite angry a$$sholes everywhere. I know it's not the majority but I hate anything to do with the public rudeness and idiotic drivers.

Now, I will miss some of the people we made friends with while we lived there I can say I will NOT miss the LOOOONG never ending winters.

So with that said it was an over all good experience for me and my family and there are some great areas in NH, ME and VT (and even Western Mass) but I will not miss NE and their sick obsession with Dunkin Donuts, Red Sox or Patriots.

I will be back to visit at some point as we made some lifelong friends there but I can promise you I wont be back anytime during Dec-Apr...........HAHAHA

Old 11-02-2018, 09:31 PM

500 posts, read 635,989 times
Where are you heading ranmic?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:10 AM

104 posts, read 139,043 times
What's wrong with Dunkin Donuts?

Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 AM

89 posts, read 126,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Where are you heading ranmic?
GA.....loving it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire